Far Cry 3 confirmed to be in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Ubisoft Montreal's Kevin Shortt has confirmed this week what many already suspected: development on the third installment of the Far Cry series is underway. He didn't offer much of anything in the way of details, only that so far things look "pretty exciting."

Last year narrative designer Patrick Redding mentioned that a sequel would likely retain an African setting, but apparently that concept it is being tossed out the window. Antarctica has also been referred to as a possibility. It's also probable the game will be based around an improved version of the Dunia engine, a heavily modified version of the CryEngine specifically built to handle complex real-world physics within a sandbox environment.

So… to sum up we have no solid details regarding the setting, plot, game engine, or platforms, but it's still good to have confirmation for a new installment of Crytek's groundbreaking original. If you haven't played the series yet, Steam is selling the first two episodes for less than $30 -- or less than $20 if you act quickly and get in on their holiday sale.

Permalink to story.

That's good news certainly, but I would like more to hear something about Crysis 2, since I stopped playing Far Cry 2 in the middle of the game, and never returned to it again...it was just too much open world for my taste...
But Crysis, pure joy to play... :) only I'll have to buy a new PC to run the new one on Enthusiast... :/

never really cared for far cry, crysis on the other hand blew me away, god bless the cryengine!

Far Cry 2 was one of the worst games I have had the misfortune to pay for. Never really liked Far Cry either. Their advertising campaign really napped me.

Let's hope Crysis 2 is coded better and actually only requires a sane system to run it at decent settings. I always felt Crysis was an underrated game due to the system requirements.

Hmm farcry 2 looks simply amazing but the game wasnt that great. i agree on the point that crysis would do good to get a sequal wouldnt it be great if they just used the far cry engin to make crysis 2 ?

I think I'm one of the few that really enjoyed Far Cry 2. I didn't mind the open sand-box style, the travel and in fact, prefer games like that. It puts options in the players control, not following some linear, channeled gameplay. Also, as a 20-year Army veteran who fired in real life pretty much every weapon in the game, I thought the sound and weapon effects were as close to the real deal as I've seen in any game. The graphics were also as good as any game released. I think a lot of players gave up on the game before they got to the 2nd half where it moved to a 2nd map and really got interesting. My beef was mainly with a weak ending story-wise.

So obviously, I'm thrilled to hear about a Far Cry 3. Bring it on! :D

Far cry 2 was a big disappointment to me, i got bored and never really finished it.
I hope they ditch the African landscape and go for something new and better...

It would be nice to know where this next game is taking place, seeing as they have already done the tropical setting and the sprawling desert theme. Not sure how much better they can make it look, obviously DX11 would be a prerequisite which alone would be a good improvement. Also I still don't see how people are still complaining about playing Crysis, the game was nearly impossible to play at launch, now that graphics cards have caught up the game is playable on most mid range gaming systems. If they do come out with a sequel expect similar performance issues unless they really work on optimizing the engine.

I hope that there no monsters in it. Sick and tired of games with monsters and other unreal things. :|

I hope they try and manage to keep the system requirements for smooth gameplay at a decent minimum. Gaming studios have to realize that PC gaming should be affordable and most importantly available to a wide range of configurations.

better be back at the paradise and no stinkin desert. I'm gonna start Fc2 very soon, i Never got to finish it. I'm more interested in Crysis 2. =)

I wonder which of these 2 games will use dx11. I know that crysis 2 uses cryengine 3 of which it is said that has dx11 support and FC3 uses a modified version of the Dunia engine.

Far Cry was a great game. Far Cry 2 was a complete failure, in my opinion. I hope Ubisoft gets it right this time.

Far Cry 2 was a failure, I agree. Did not like the wide open world and complete isolation of the protagonist character. I remember driving through and having NPCs drop everything they were doing just to give chase, so lame. Ubi can def do better, but they can't do what CryTek did with the first game, even though the end was laughably awful.

I loved the first far cry it was great and simply beaytiful compared to other games at the time but im simply not looking forward to far cry 3 as much as crysis 2 but thats just my opinion. i am wondering if they will even bother with dx 11 at this point i mean look at modern warfare 2 it looks as good as any game ive seen and guess what its dx 9 lol we havent even had time to deal with dx 10 or 10.1 for that matter. i think the developers are moving faster with dx versions than game companys have time to cade for them and its such a shame and waste of time.

The Far Cry that was on Xbox, which was developed by Ubi and CryTek together was awesome, and then 3 years later FC2 is released and i put maybe 6 hours into it total. It seemed to me like Ubi standing behind the game alone wasn't good for the franchise. I mean there's like no story, repetitive and boring side missions and uninteresting sandbox world. The only thing it has going for it is it looks pretty nice but everything looks like they sprinkled cocoa powder on everything lol. I mean I guess it's somewhat fun from a gaming standpoint but is far from anything special. It was like a cruel joke for me.

Far Cry 2 was really disappointing compared to the original one... I hope the three makes a difference, but the past has shown that this rarely happens :/

Really liked the first game, and tho i've never played FC2... I hear that its not as good as the first game. Here's hoping FC3 will go back to FC1 routes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back