'Father of Android' Andy Rubin allegedly protected by Google from sexual misconduct claims

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Bombshell: Details of the sexual misconduct allegations that caused Android creator Andy Rubin to resign from Google in 2014 have come to light today thanks to anonymous sources. The New York Times outed Google and an enabler saying that it granted Rubin millions of dollars upon his departure.

Google purchased Android Inc. in 2005. Co-founder and CEO Andy Rubin was given the position of senior vice president of mobile and digital content at Google as part of the deal. He resigned from the company after almost a decade in 2014. On his exit, Google gave him a bonus of $90 million to be paid out in $2 million per month installments. His last payment is coming up in November. But there is a dark underside to the whole situation.

According to a New York Times exposé published Thursday, an employee had accused Rubin of sexual misconduct in 2013, just before his departure. Anonymous sources say that Google investigated the claim and found it credible. Rubin was then asked to step down with a $90 million golden umbrella instead of being fired.

The Verge notes that once this news broke, CEO Sundar Pichai and Vice President of People Operations Eileen Naughton, quickly issued an email to employees to let them know that the company takes all claims of sexual misconduct seriously. It was able to obtain a copy of the email and publish it.

“We are dead serious about making sure we provide a safe and inclusive workplace,” the message says. “We want to assure you that we review every single complaint about sexual harassment or inappropriate conduct, we investigate, and we take action.”

The internet giant paid Mr. Rubin $90 million and praised him, while keeping silent about a misconduct claim.

The email also mentions that Google has fired 48 employees, including 13 “senior managers or above” over the last two years. The memo does not, however, refute the claims in the New York Times article, which also states that at least two other high-level executives were protected as well.

Rubin’s spokesperson Sam Singer denied that Mr. Rubin was ever informed of any misconduct allegations leveled at him during his time with Google. He also insisted that Ruben left of his own accord and was not asked to resign.

“Any relationship that Mr. Rubin had while at Google was consensual and did not involve any person who reported directly to him,” said Singer.

It is worth noting that the employee who brought forth the allegations had been in an extramarital relationship with Rubin according to the sources. She claimed that he forced her to perform oral sex in a hotel room In 2013. It is unclear whether the incident occurred before or after the two’s love affair ended.

This leads one to wonder if it was a case of a jilted lover seeking revenge. However, since Google's internal investigation concluded the allegations were credible, it is probably safe to assume that this was not the case.

While the company's email does not adequately address the past, Pichai and Naughton stress that changes have been made within the firm to ensure that all employees will be safe and taken seriously in such matters.

“We are committed to ensuring that Google is a workplace where you can feel safe to do your best work, and where there are serious consequences for anyone who behaves inappropriately,” the email concludes.

Permalink to story.

Well maybe. I'm just glad they didn't put that silly grin on the Supreme Court!
This one remembered when and where and did not take 30 years to come forward. Nice try though.

Well at least he didn't pin it on some wild political conspiracy all the while crying over a calendar and saying the word "beer" 3,000 times.

The due did so much to give us worthy IOS alternative. What's a small sexual misconduct in comparison, a tiny tiny sexual misconduct? The important thing here is to be able to see the big picture, the big beautiful amoled picture of my smoothly running Android powered device.

Were any of the allegations proven? If not, google wouldnt have a leg to stand on, and if there WAS damning evidence, well, google is a #woke company, they would have obliterated andy in court and on social media if they could.

Most likely they couldnt find any concrete evidence, and everything boiled down to he said she said arguments that will never hold up in court. So they payed him to leave so they could quiet down all the arguing, debate, and accusations and get back to work on android, knowing if they just let andy go he would have sued the hell out of google, and most likely won way more in a settlement on top of giving google more PR.

The due did so much to give us worthy IOS alternative. What's a small sexual misconduct in comparison, a tiny tiny sexual misconduct? The important thing here is to be able to see the big picture, the big beautiful amoled picture of my smoothly running Android powered device.
Well, at least you are validating possible sexual misconduct because of the achievements made. /sarcasm Where did we learn that lesson, that integrity only depends on whether you win and not how you won or who you stepped on in the process?

If that is what winning means, I could give a flying fXck about winning. I would rather have the integrity.

I greet with great skepticism any claim of "He forced me to perform oral sex on him." The level of trust needed to allow someone to perform oral sex on you is ultra-high.

The $90 million could have been part of terms of the sale. He might well be taking a big financial hit by leaving rather than staying on.

Regardless, any kind of reasonableness hinges on whether the incident took place while on Google business or whether it was personal travel. To have to fire someone for having a drunken argument with his girlfriend at home with no accusation of legal criminality is totally unreasonable. But that's how it is in these times, in this reign of terror.

The only good thing to out of the whole Supreme Court debacle is that this kind of nonsense may finally be starting to weaken.

I greet with great skepticism any claim of "He forced me to perform oral sex on him." The level of trust needed to allow someone to perform oral sex on you is ultra-high.

The $90 million could have been part of terms of the sale. He might well be taking a big financial hit by leaving rather than staying on.

Regardless, any kind of reasonableness hinges on whether the incident took place while on Google business or whether it was personal travel. To have to fire someone for having a drunken argument with his girlfriend at home with no accusation of legal criminality is totally unreasonable. But that's how it is in these times, in this reign of terror.

The only good thing to out of the whole Supreme Court debacle is that this kind of nonsense may finally be starting to weaken.

Um, sexual assault is illegal on work time or personal time.

"I greet with great skepticism any claim of "He forced me to perform oral sex on him." The level of trust needed to allow someone to perform oral sex on you is ultra-high. "

That's speaking from ignorance. The fact that you are treating each case with skepticism before you get any details is exactly why the metoo movement exists and you are sorely mistaken if you think it's starting to weaken. I'm hoping for a day when women aren't prejudged just like you have displayed here.

As I see it, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

In Kavanaugh's case, you can bet that his buddy would never say anything because that would mean that he would admit that he was an accessory to the act and would have opened himself up to being charged as well.

And as @Evernessince said, sexual assault is illegal where ever it happens. Any employer is well within their rights to terminate someone's employment after an act like that, where ever it occurred, and it is highly likely that they would be legally wise to do so since further instances of sexual assault, if they were to happen in the workplace, might just bring a serious lawsuit.

What you suggest in this case is not unlike the coverups that have happened in the Catholic Church, and even the Catholic Church was not immune to lawsuits for covering up such behavior. You might argue that it was different in the case of the Catholic Church, however, I really do not see a distinction.

IF he did what he was accused of, it is his fault, and he is lucky to have gotten off with $90M. $90M is by far more than enough money for any individual to live on without having to work another day in their lives, and tough :poop: for him that he lost out on earning more.

The way that I see it is it is a question of to what lengths will people go to win? Unethical behavior cannot be forgiven because of someone's accomplishments. If we start doing that, we open the door to egregious atrocities, and what for? Fame, fortune, what?? Is it OK that someone might come along and rob you at gunpoint and then, perhaps, shoot you dead simply because they "won" and wound up with your money? Or perhaps it would be OK for someone to sexually assault one of your relatives for some reason?

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/ethical

Last edited:

"I greet with great skepticism any claim of "He forced me to perform oral sex on him." The level of trust needed to allow someone to perform oral sex on you is ultra-high. "

That's speaking from ignorance. The fact that you are treating each case with skepticism before you get any details is exactly why the metoo movement exists and you are sorely mistaken if you think it's starting to weaken. I'm hoping for a day when women aren't prejudged just like you have displayed here.

All I am saying is that sexual assault should be tried through the legal system. That's what it's there for. If he raped her then let him go to jail. But MeToo in many, but certainly not all, cases, is trying to get someone fired for minor violations of personal space, often for misbehavior that happened decades ago before the social mores changed. A lot of these accusations are being made out of 'loyalty' to 'sisters', without consideration of the full consequences. It's been used for political hit jobs.

I shouldn't have to label myself, but I am certainly a leftist, and this "grievance culture" works in actuality to be the Bride of Fascism. It gives the right wing something patently false to ridicule and be right about, and was a big factor in getting Trump elected.

Women have entered the workforce completely. It's imperative that they be treated with complete respect. At present, however, there's a witch hunt mentality. It will run its course, hopefully before too long, and a just sense of balance will prevail.

All I am saying is that sexual assault should be tried through the legal system. That's what it's there for. If he raped her then let him go to jail. But MeToo in many, but certainly not all, cases, is trying to get someone fired for minor violations of personal space, often for misbehavior that happened decades ago before the social mores changed. A lot of these accusations are being made out of 'loyalty' to 'sisters', without consideration of the full consequences. It's been used for political hit jobs.

I shouldn't have to label myself, but I am certainly a leftist, and this "grievance culture" works in actuality to be the Bride of Fascism. It gives the right wing something patently false to ridicule and be right about, and was a big factor in getting Trump elected.

Women have entered the workforce completely. It's imperative that they be treated with complete respect. At present, however, there's a witch hunt mentality. It will run its course, hopefully before too long, and a just sense of balance will prevail.

In many states there is no statute of limitations on sexual crimes so the time the victim comes forward shouldn't be of much consequence. In fact, only a small fraction of women come forward period. This is mostly due to them knowing the humiliation and poking they will have to go through. There has been a long standing "no one is ever a perfect enough victim" mentality in America where sexual assault victims take a second battering when being asked questions like "why didn't you tell him no?" or "why didn't you run?".

"But MeToo in many, but certainly not all, cases, is trying to get someone fired for minor violations of personal space, often for misbehavior that happened decades ago before the social mores changed."

I can agree that there definitely are fringe cases where this is happening but the vast majority of sexual misconduct brought forward by the MeToo movement has not only been valid, it's been horrific some of things that have been kept secret. Just because there are a few bad actors doesn't mean we should discount everyone.

"At present, however, there's a witch hunt mentality. It will run its course, hopefully before too long, and a just sense of balance will prevail."

A witch hunt that has already yielded multiple witches? If all these claims are false, then why are many of the accused men choosing to settle out of court or resign from their position? If they are innocent many of the powerful men who have been accused could have easily defended their name in court. No, a law abiding citizen does not avoid the court and not every man will be so lucky as Kavanaugh as to have a Jury of his buddies bury an investigation. No, it's things like that which will only strengthen the movement. You'd have to be crazy to think the movement will die anytime soon while they are actively going against an administration that has turned the clock back on women's rights. You need only look at the rising number of women congress members up for election this season to see we have not even hit the maximum of this chapter yet.

"It's been used for political hit jobs."
Where is the evidence for that? That is something that should also be tried in court, too. That's part of the constitution in the right to petition for redress. Yet so far, no evidence that could possibly used in court exists for that, either. That's an opinion.

YOU talk about ignorance, when you believe an accusation without solid evidence. If it would exist, the employee would have filed a police report instead of reporting it to Google.
"sexual assault victims take a second battering when being asked questions"
Are you mentally capable? The police have to do at least a basic questioning. The prosecution have to prove guilt, and not the defendant innocence.
"The email also mentions that Google has fired 48 employees"
Either rapegangs operating inside Google, or the diversity hire gender study graduates are doing what they learned to do: they throwing around accusations left and right, and hope they get their payday.

Where is the evidence for that? That is something that should also be tried in court, too. That's part of the constitution in the right to petition for redress. Yet so far, no evidence that could possibly used in court exists for that, either. That's an opinion.
I'm in Canada and thought what about all the stuff pre-election about President Trump's 'locker-room type talk' amongst many other accusations of impropriety unbecoming a president. I don't know if this is what the OP means.

Political hit jobs?

Al Franken. The accusations flimsy, not to mention trivial.

Some years ago an attempt was made to destroy Al Gore's reputation. A message therapist claimed he sexually assaulted her. The claim was so preposterous; like someone utterly famous with an extremely serious agenda and no history of misbehavior would just throw his reputation away because he just couldn't help himself and had to assault the poor gal. Nothing came of it, of course. But that was then, and this is now.

YOU talk about ignorance, when you believe an accusation without solid evidence. If it would exist, the employee would have filed a police report instead of reporting it to Google.
"sexual assault victims take a second battering when being asked questions"
Are you mentally capable? The police have to do at least a basic questioning. The prosecution have to prove guilt, and not the defendant innocence.
"The email also mentions that Google has fired 48 employees"
Either rapegangs operating inside Google, or the diversity hire gender study graduates are doing what they learned to do: they throwing around accusations left and right, and hope they get their payday.

No, I believe in fair treatment under the law. If all you have are more assumptions of "why didn't they do this!" then I think we are done here. You have no idea of the situation they are in and you are throwing out due justice for your silly assumptions. How about you stop trying to disqualify them before they've even had a trial, eh?

I"m tired of all these posers calling for "due justice" all the while those very people are trying to prevent it. You would not be coming out against these women if you really believed in due justice. If you did then you would have simply let the wheels of justice turn as they always do.

Last edited:
No, I believe in fair treatment under the law.
And the law is enforced in a courthouse. And the first step toward it is a police report. You don't make any sense, unless you want to make mob-justice the law. The same justice, which hanged black men in public at a mere accusation not that long ago.

And the law is enforced in a courthouse. And the first step toward it is a police report. You don't make any sense, unless you want to make mob-justice the law. The same justice, which hanged black men in public at a mere accusation not that long ago.

1st a police report isn't always the first step. If that were true, then murdered individuals would never get justice (can't file a report when you are dead). There is also no law barring people from sharing their experiences with the public.

Second, the only ones perpetrating mob justice are the people demonizing these women. How exactly is making their stories public "mob justice"? No one is forcing the accused to resign or to plead guilty in a court of law. If an innocent feels pressured by accusations he/she should seek a trail ASAP. If you avoid answering questions (under oath or otherwise), settle out of court, or any other means outside the normal legal process you have only yourself to blame if people think you are guilty. This goes double for the rich who have been accused thus far, who most certainly has the means to defend their name.

The people jumping to conclusions about these women being "fakers" are just as bad as the people who assume every man accused is guilty.

Just as a small footnote, only 35% of sexual assault cases are reported. America has a stockpile of sexual assault victims who have yet to come forward. You can thank the "never perfect enough victim" culture of America for that one. You want mob justice? How about a social stigma that's been ingrained in generations of Americans that have prevented generations of women equal justice. You can maybe try and understand a fraction of the pain behind the MeToo movement.

Agreed a police report needs to be filed in a timely manner. I also know that filing that report can be extremely difficult choice. You may be young, working with people with a lot more 'power' than you so do you want to take that on. Then add the Press and the lawyers for the opposition who will dig for dirt.
Twice in my life I should have filed a police report right after an incident and I let it slide whilst dealing with life. Time goes by and you wrestle with the question of should you bring it up or not. I decided it was too late and lesson learned is to make that report, damn what you worry might happen.

Back