Faulty DVD drive on high-grade laptop

odriscoll27

Hey all,

The Issue
I Have recently purchased a laptop with windows XP preinstalled on it (has COA key) and eveything seemed to be working until i updated the Webcam drivers. Suddenly the laptop stopped working and kept getting a BSOD so i re-installed XP and re-instlled the drivers for the laptop but now the DVD drive doesn't work properly.

When i insert a DVD film into the drive the film will play using Power Cyberlink DVD player but if i try to open the DVD from "My Computer" the disc appears to be blank. This also happend with DVD's where i have backed up data etc.

Also eveytime i start the laptop up it keeps trying to install two "Base System Device". I have tried allowing the laptop to install these devices but each time it tells me the device "was not installed correctly"

I am confused as to why this is and was just wondering if i had installed the correct drivers for the laptop or not or if perhaps my DVD drive is on t its way out.

Laptop Specs:
Hi-Grade Notebook
Pentium INtel T4200 Dual Core
1.75Gb RAM
300Gb HDD
Windows XP PRO SP3
Model No; W76S

I do have a genuine copy of Windows 7 Home Premium with a COA but im reluctant to install this without a fully working DVD Drive

thanks in advance
James :)

I can't find W76S on Hi-Grade's site, so I don't know what extras the laptop has. And their FTP server for driver download appears to be offline. Do you still have the CD/DVD w/ device drivers that came with the laptop? Perhaps try reinstalling the drivers for the webcam, card-reader, etc. from that disc.

The other option is take a look at Device Manager. Look at the properties for those w/ exclamation marks. There should be a Details tab. Select Hardware Ids under Property, and you should get couple things in the Value box. Hopefully, the 1st one will help you identify the make and from there, the right driver. If not, try using the 2nd value.

1. Yea, the DVD drive might be going bad. Though the odd DVD behavior you describe might also be caused by corrupt/bad filters. See if this might apply [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]

2. Have you tried the reinstalling the chipset drivers? (i've seen cases where they come up as "Base System devices"). If still problematic, do the following. The add'l info might help

List any Problem Devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot window, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Hey guys,

Rabbit01: I had exactly the same problem!!! I DID manage to get drivers from the FTP site before but I had to use an older laptop model to get it to work.

LookinAround:
It comes up with 3 errors
Base System Device PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2382&SUBSYS_08011558&REV_20\4&2E819789&0&0038 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Base System Device PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2383&SUBSYS_08011558&REV_20\4&2E819789&0&0338 The drivers for this device are not installed.

I have attached the DirectX file and will try the CD/DVD drive check app now

Many thanks

Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_11C1&DEV_1040&SUBSYS_11C10001&REV_1002\4&1D070E81&0&0101 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Attachments

• DxDiagOdriscoll.txt
    33 KB · Views: 1
Looks like those "Base Devices" are for an SD memory card controller. The HDAUDIO device is a digital modem. Try Driver Identifier to locate their drivers.

** note: Driver Identifier will offer both missing as well as updated drivers. BUt i suggest "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I would only install missing drivers (it shows a missing driver with a link labled download vs update which is for driver updates). Don't try updates unless you know you really need an update (And is always wise to create a System Restore point before installing the new drivers

That said, i think all those missing drivers are unrelated to your CD problem. Let us know how things go after you try removing the filters.

thanks for all your help.
i ran the microsoft DVD/CD fix it app and it found no errors. im slightly embarrased to say this but im a little unsure of how to turn these filters off :/ im guessing the FixIt app would have done it but im not sure so if there is a way of doing it manually i would appreciate it. I admit to being more the slightly confused by the article provided by microsoft.

as for the drivers the application worked a treat!!! found all the drivers and downloaded them for me :) thanks a million for that i know its a simple thing but one less thing to worry about :)

-SOLVED-

err not sure why or how but i ran a windows update and now all of a sudden the DVD drive is fully functioning again :)

thanks for all the help

Back