FCC commissioner actually wants to know about your Internet problems

Greg S

Despite the fact that FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has had a track record of being against net neutrality, commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel is working on a different issue. Broadband availability is still an issue for many consumers that lack multiple choices, even if they're willing to pay for it.

Following a hearing, Rosenworcel expressed displeasure regarding the national broadband availability map that cost an estimated $300 million to produce. The official FCC coverage map has not been changed in over three years and no longer accurately reflects the types of service available to US residents.

Rosenworcel also denounced Pai's plans to allow lower standards for deployment of broadband services and said that weakening standards for network access was outright "crazy." It may seem as though access to broadband Internet is easy but that generally holds true only for densely populated areas.

Looking at more recent maps, many areas are left with only one choice of service provider and may not have an option to obtain broadband which is currently defined as 25 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload.

In order to make end-user complaints known, Rosenworcel has set up an email address, broadbandfail@fcc.gov, to allow anyone to send in information regarding lack of competition, poor service or other horror stories with respect to Internet services. All collected data is meant to be used to show why consumer choice is important to the quality of service received and how the FCC could do more to improve broadband connections.

Permalink to story.

Interesting! A sane counterpart to the industry puppy/puppet, Ajit Pai!

Unfortunately, this e-mail address will probably receive tons of spam and spam bot generated responses from those with alternative facts! :(

Not so many years ago I didn't think it was that big of a deal if you couldn't get Internet at home. However, with literally everything being forced online and every industry's goal being to make as much of their business online-only as possible, this is something that will have to be addressed. The US invented the Internet but has some of the lowest broadband availability on Earth while also being the most expensive AND among the most restrictive on usage. The big ISPS are also the cable, satellite and media companies, and their abuse of their influence is legendary. Americans stuck on the "last mile" are being steadily disenfranchised and the rest of the world is eating our lunch on both wired and wireless connectivity.

I wonder why there isn't a map for where >10 Mbps is lacking.
Or for that matter, a map for the number of providers in an area. I am definitely planning on taking some time to send an e-mail and let the FCC know of the fact that their is only one provider available to me as well as my sh!t experiences with Time Warner.

I'm guessing that he's asking to find things to do to make the internet worse! After all, everything he has done so far has been detrimental to the users. He also hasn't done a thing to rein in the cable companies but fortunately customers are finding more and more ways to cut the cord on that mess. Didn't somebody in the administration tell him to consult with Russia first???

Internet is more expensive than it needs to be. Throttling shouldn't be below DVD quality speeds. Hotspot on my phone should never be locked. I paid for the data, I should be able to use it up how I damn well pleased.

Internet is more expensive than it needs to be. Throttling shouldn't be below DVD quality speeds. Hotspot on my phone should never be locked. I paid for the data, I should be able to use it up how I damn well pleased.
An unlocked phone can get you apps that bypass limitations. google it

An unlocked phone can get you apps that bypass limitations. google it
Doesn't always work. Sometimes work arounds are needed. It should just work and I shouldn't have to look for workarounds. Wireless internet is the future and ISP's need to recognize that they are just conduits and just offer the amount of data for a price and stop the extra controls. I think it was partially due to buying a phone from them and they locked the tethering. I had an unlocked phone prior which I did tether. It broke and in an emergency, I bought one from them. Only to find that the tethering was locked. A bought an unlocked phone, switch the sim, only to find that tethering was still locked. Must be the sim. I didn't abuse the service as they would want to say. Even at unlimited, I didn't go much over 20 Gbs, and much of that was Windows updates. I downgraded my data, so I wasn't expecting to use anymore than that.

Last edited:
I had an unlocked phone prior which I did tether. It broke and in an emergency, I bought one from them. Only to find that the tethering was locked. A bought an unlocked phone, switch the sim, only to find that tethering was still locked. Must be the sim.
I'm guessing your old plan was grandfathered, which allowed for tethering. And when you purchased a new phone your plan changed eliminating the grandfather clause allowing you to tether. I'm not sure how it all works, I do know your new contract has to abide by current policies. I do agree with you though, it is your data, you paid for it, and you should be able to use it however you see fit.

Dear Ajit Pai, I don't like my FCC Chairman. Who do I call about that?
P.S. Your coffee cup is not as big as John Olivers.
My thanks in advance.
-Axiomatic

I wonder why it is allowed for company's to advertise Mbs speeds and charge you for that speed while only providing nearly half the advertised speed. I have been using Rise Broadband because it is the best of the crappiest ISPs I can get in my area.

Looks like I will be paying more for an even slower service than I am getting now :-(

Guess I need to buy more lottery tickets to live in this world and remain connected

Back