FCC proposes 'record' $225 million fine for misleading robocalls

Polycount

Staff
In context: Robocalling companies haven't had it easy over the past couple of years. Corporations and government entities alike have banded together to tackle these irritating organizations, with the FCC leading the charge on several anti-robocalling initiatives.

Now, the regulatory board is bringing another such initiative forward. In a news release published today, the FCC proposed a $225 million fine against the companies behind some of the nation's biggest robocalling schemes: Rising Eagle and JSquared Telecom.

The FCC says this fine would be the largest it's ever proposed in its 86-year history, which is reflective of the "seriousness of the apparent violations." Violators reportedly placed roughly 1 billion spoofed robocalls (using faked numbers) within the first five months of 2019.

Rising Eagle and JSquared Telecom would use robocalls to falsely offer deals on health insurance plans from several big-name companies in the industry, including UnitedHealth Group, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna, and Cigna.

If call recipients agreed to speak to a "licensed agent," they would be transferred to a Rising Eagle or JSquared call center. There, telemarketers attempt to persuade the transferee to sign up for a short-term health insurance plan with one of their clients, none of which had any affiliation with the companies mentioned before.

To make matters worse, the FCC says that Rising Eagle and JSquared Telecom would intentionally send automated calls to individuals on the federal Do Not Call list. John C. Spiller, one of the men behind this wide-scale robocalling scheme, believed doing so was more profitable than attempting to call numbers that were not on the list.

To be clear, this is just a proposal for now, and the FCC will not fine any alleged violators without due process. Rising Eagle and JSquared Telecom will have an opportunity to respond to this situation, and submit any evidence they believe will help their case.

Permalink to story.

At very specific intervals daily, I get a call from China and a call about a car I don't even own anymore in hopes I'll buy a new warranty. It makes me not want to answer my own phone.

Good luck collecting on them:

#1 most of the companies are based outside the US to avoid US laws and enforcement.

#2 Some companies are selling legitimate products or services which means they can prove that they aren't misleading even if they are annoying.

But the question is: who gave you my number and permission to call me?

Wasn't the big problem with the FCC that they were not collecting the fines ?

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...8-million-since-2015-but-collected-only-6790/

At very specific intervals daily, I get a call from China and a call about a car I don't even own anymore in hopes I'll buy a new warranty. It makes me not want to answer my own phone.
#1 most of the companies are based outside the US to avoid US laws and enforcement.

As long as they have any ties to the US (using US Dollars is enough), the govt can and will enforce US laws / sanctions... even with foreign companies if it wants to.

Until they can find a way to END international calls like this, the fine will never be imposed. They also need to concentrate on these jobbers that are information gathering agents for recruiters. The number that have little to no English skills is ridicules and who knows how many of them are skimming information to sell to 3rd parties.

This is more to make consumers feel like something is being done rather than a real punishment. The likelihood of these robocallers - especially the international type - being slapped with this fine is little to none.

However, having said that, it should be a $225 BILLION fine, not million. ;)

This is more to make consumers feel like something is being done rather than a real punishment. The likelihood of these robocallers - especially the international type - being slapped with this fine is little to none.

However, having said that, it should be a $225 BILLION fine, not million. ;)

If they are anything like the MPAA/RIAA, they will file a reverse lawsuit about all the sales they have "lost".

I know some people can't, but, if a phone number isn't in my contacts list, I just let it go to voicemail. If they do NOT leave a message, then I deem it unimportant, and call block the number.

If they are anything like the MPAA/RIAA, they will file a reverse lawsuit about all the sales they have "lost".
IMO, not likely because they are doing something illegal since what they are offering is under fraudulent pretense.

#2 Some companies are selling legitimate products or services which means they can prove that they aren't misleading even if they are annoying.
When they are calling someone on the "Do Not Call" list, it matters not whether they are offering a legitimate product or service.

The "Do Not Call" list was made permanent a number of years ago, and assuming the FTC enforces it, the enforcement has teeth as any number listed is, by law, not supposed to be contacted by telemarketers of any sort - I'll qualify "Telemarketers" as anyone offering something for sale at a price. It does not include charity, non-profits, or, unfortunately, political calls, if I am not mistaken.

But the question is: who gave you my number and permission to call me?
If I do not recognize a number, I let it go to my answering machine/voice mail. If it is important, they will leave a message. If not, the call is spam. I suspect that would work even for a business owner like you.

I get three robocalls a day. Every day. Please just shoot the individuals involved. I hereby waive their civil rights.

Back