FF3 Connection Interrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

essenceofire

I've been having this problem for a few weeks now, and have googled but still have found nothing but "I have this too and it sucks".

You guys have been very helpful in the past, so I was hoping something will be suggested that will work!

Recently, I can go surf the web like normal, but certain websites come up with a "connection interrupted" error from firefox3 on my windows xp computer.

Connection Interrupted
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

It's only a few certain pages, gamestop.com and cnn.com are two that I can remember. I know I originally clicked on links to get to both sites, but even when I type the urls they don't work. But it's gotten to the point where I'll be searching for something (this problem, for example), click on a link, and it won't work.

Here's the weird part. I'll open I.E. and get page cannot be displayed errors. So, I went over to my parents computer (in which I am connected through a router) and lo and behold, all the websites work.

We have the same version of firefox, the only thing I can think of being different is that I have SP3 and have been installing updates and they have updates turned off. Going off of that, I set my restore point to about 3 weeks ago, and am STILL having this problem.

I know it can't be my connection, since it obviously works on my parents. But I'm going back to school tomorrow, and would love if my computer would work for that. Any tips/suggestions/words from a higher being that will allow my firefox to live again?

I don't think it has anything to do with Firefox. IT sounds more like the connection to the internet is being lost and that's a problem you should address with the ISP. You are describing intermittent lose of signal. If you have a wireless connection, it could be the router.

It would be interesting to know if your parents had a different ISP or a different connection method.

It's not wireless, I'm connected to their box through a ethernet router.

I'll be able to tell you tomorrow night if it's a connection issue, as I'll be moving into my lovely dorm with lovely dorm internet, but I'm pretty confident it's not. (Let's hope I'm wrong)

If it's consistently the same sites, It's likely that those sites have server problems. You may find better access occurs at some times of the day or night. The message you're getting clearly indicates a server problem.

All of those 'other peple' don't go through the same servers that you do.

You can check in the browser and make sure none of the sites are blocked or restricted. Occasionally a site will get blocked with no help from the user. It's the same gremlin that puts Mute on the sound without asking!

If you will give me one of the sites, I'll take a look and see If I note any particular problem in my browsers.

Firefox v3 has a feature that prevents a redirect. This is shown by a message at the top of the site screen- not the top of the computer screen but right above the site content. A user can allow the redirect by clicking on 'Allow' on the right end of the message

Ruckus: prevented redirect, allowed and screen loaded. A video on the right did not show, most likely to my ad block extension. I did note on the lower left corner of the screen that the 'transferring' continued the entire time.

Gamestop: loaded without incident

CNN: another redirect message, allowed, loaded without incident.

So it must be a server problem on the ISP backbone that you use. The 'prevent redirect' message doesn not break the connection. You should be aware of this new feature in FF 3 though, as it can be a nuisance and can be handled by allowing. I checked Cookies after each site and did not find anything that was alarming.

Well, when I looked on the mozilla support forum, there were quite a few of these threads saying that they were having the exact same problem as I currently am. It's just weird to me that I'd have the exact same problem in Ohio, as I do in Pennsylvania with different ISPs.

I.E. won't even load, so, I'm not sure if that's a side effect of something I downloaded or what.

I do agree with you that it must be different servers; as one site I frequent has at least 3 and it's hit or miss with them. And when I view pictures on facebook, certain ones don't open probably because of the server. I don't think I have anything blocked...and checking now nothing seems out of the ordinary...though I did notice my add-ons were missing.

Edit: Well, I found out what seems to be blocking it; PeerGuardian. Though, my add-ons still aren't there

A program is only as good as the way it's configured and the way it's used:

"PeerGuardian and PeerGuardian 2 are free and open source programs developed by Phoenix Labs. They are capable of blocking incoming and outgoing connections based on IP blocklists. The system is also capable of blocking advertising, spyware, government and educational ranges, depending upon user preferences. (From Wiki)

"PeerGuardian acknowledges that Battlefield 2, Blizzard, Steam, and ArenaNet connectivity is blocked, which creates problems for many online gaming users who are not aware that PeerGuardian will break game connectivity, and are thus directed to read the manual." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PeerGuardian

I can easily see where this could cause the problem. But we didn't know you had this program, so there was no way we could factor it into the troubleshooting.

Thanks you for letting us know you found the cause of the problem. I knew it wasn't Firefox itself.

Well thanks for you help either way, I don't know what made me think to disable it...but I disabled it and it immediately fixed the problem.

I just became nervous when I saw on the mozilla forums other people having the exact same problem!

Thanks again!

A badly or incorrectly configured program can cause great problems! It would be interesting to know how many of those users in the forum were also using the Peer Guardian!

Ipower.

I have noticed that I only get this error message intermittently on websites hosted on iPower servers. Has anyone else noticed this?

I have this same exact problem but don't have peer. I tried disabling all addons and it still persists. I can't even do a Google search with the name of my websites (bungie and xbox) without getting the error page. It's like a taboo. :(

I have tried everything but Host Files (because I don't understand it) and contact the ISP. I don't think it's the ISP because it's only my laptop in the house that is affected.

For that guide, I did everything but steps 5,7, and 8. Step 4 is going on now.

Nope...
I'm gonna turn HOSTS back ON than.

This is SO mindboggling. I made a thread for my problem. It's in the OS Software and the Web section of the forums if you want more information.

router

We're having the same prob at our place.

I'm getting similar connection interrupted errors on FF, IE, Chrome and Safari,
This is happening on multiple laptops and on my iPhone (connected to wireless).

When I log onto my neighbors wireless (same ISP and service), all devices works fine.

Logically then, the problem has to be in the router.

I'm going to try a hard reset on the router, then a firmware reinstall if that fails, I will post again here when I get it sorted out.

--john

Just a followup on this: When I first went to Firefox v3, I got the 'server disconnect' message fairly frequently. I couldn't find any consistent although I didn't check for iPower servers. I knew my machine was clean and well maintained so I blamed Firefox, the servers and/or the ISP!

As Firefox has been updating-it's v3.0.8 now, I think, the message has gotten sparse but it does occur occasionally. There is no corresponding Error in my Event Viewer.

By the way, the Rukus site now reads: "Unfortunately the Rukus Service will no longer be provided". It does load, but mostly white space with the message.

Gamestop OK.

CNN OK. But a lot of people have complained about problems accessing CNN. I think it's server and time related.:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back