Fighting tournament asks competitors to open joysticks in wake of Florida shooting

midian182

Staff member
In brief: The tragic shooting at a Madden NFL 19 tournament last month has resulted in eSports competitions tightening their security. The annual SoCal Regionals fighting game tournament has announced it is introducing a slew of new measures, which includes asking competitors to open, and in some cases unscrew, their joysticks.

24-year-old David Katz, known as “Bread” or “Sliced Bread,” shot and killed 22-year-old Elijah Clayton and Taylor “SpotMePlzz” Robertson, 28, at the GLHF Game Bar at the Jacksonville Landing—an open-air festival marketplace in Downtown Jacksonville, Florida—in late August. A number of people were injured during the shooting, in which Katz fatally shot himself.

In response to the tragedy, Level Up—organizer of the SoCal regionals—announced that hand-held and walk-through metal detectors would be in place at the event. It is also trying to secure funding for an x-ray machine, and all bags and loose items of clothing will be searched.

Level Up initially said that all fight sticks must be opened up for inspection but revised this rule so that only those that open easily with a switch/button (such as the Razer Panthera) will face mandatory internal inspections. Any joysticks held together with bolts and screws will be visually inspected and must be opened by owners only if something suspicious is spotted.

While some have welcomed the increased security measures, others say they go too far and worry about voiding their joysticks’ warranty if they open the sealed peripherals. There’s also the potential that removing screws and paneling could have an adverse effect on the joysticks’ performance.

Kotaku notes that Capcom mentioned the new security measures in a tweet, suggesting that the Street Fighter creator may have played a part in adopting the new rules.

To pay for the increased security, which includes hiring two police officers and the x-ray machine, Level up is looking at around $10,000 in extra costs. It has suggested covering the money through higher admission/participation fees, crowdfunding, or taking cash from the prize pools.

Permalink to story.

The US has a serious mental healthcare problem, it has for decades, and the issue is only going to get worse.

That being said, dont confuse media attention for a rising issue, gun crime today is a fraction of what it was in the 90s, where it was a fraction of the 80s.

I'd say you reap what you sow.

If you want to live in a society that worships and fetishes the gun, expect this kind of stuff.

We don't idolize or fetish the gun, we simply acknowledge (most of the population, at least) that it's our right, if we choose, to arm ourselves.

Anything is a weapon if you have the intent upon making it one. You aren't resolving the root issue if you take a tool away - that issue will manfiest itself into something different. Britain banned knives, remember that.

If you want to live in a society that worships and fetishes the gun, expect this kind of stuff.

We don't idolize or fetish the gun, we simply acknowledge (most of the population, at least) that it's our right, if we choose, to arm ourselves.

Anything is a weapon if you have the intent upon making it one. You aren't resolving the root issue if you take a tool away - that issue will manfiest itself into something different. Britain banned knives, remember that.

Guns have a higher homicide rate and lethality rate then all the other lesser weapons combined. 1 guy dies and 2 are wounded in a knife attack about every month. We have 9 killings in a shooting twice a week in the US. That's not considering mass shootings, because we live in a country where 9 doesn't quite count as that anymore.

Are you really that naive to think that if there weren't "gun lovers" that the issue of violence would be less? What if you had a magic button that if pressed, would make the gun and the idea of the gun no longer exist? So there are no more guns. Do you think the violence will just stop? Do you think less people will die? Don't you think that evil, sick people will find other ways to kill? The gun is a pretty effective tool for killing, no doubt; but there plenty of other things available to people which can be just as if not more effective at causing mass casualties. Vehicle ramming attacks and bombs come to mind.

Are you really that naive to think that if there weren't "gun lovers" that the issue of violence would be less? What if you had a magic button that if pressed, would make the gun and the idea of the gun no longer exist? So there are no more guns. Do you think the violence will just stop? Do you think less people will die? Don't you think that evil, sick people will find other ways to kill? The gun is a pretty effective tool for killing, no doubt; but there plenty of other things available to people which can be just as if not more effective at causing mass casualties. Vehicle ramming attacks and bombs come to mind.

Violence in inherent with being a human being, it is going to happen. But to sit here and call someone else naive is, well naive.. Let's see the hotel room guy try to kill people without his gun. Sure, he could have tossed something(s) out but it would not have been nearly as severe or effective. IF there were no guns, we would have no mass shootings now would we? I am not saying nor would I stand by a statement saying we should take peoples guns, but I will say people need to be held more accountable for owning such weapons. There needs to be a licensing process that needs renewal, like a drivers license for example. And if your weapon is stolen, and you didn't have it secured when it was stolen, and that weapon ends up killing/hurting someone, I think you should be held accountable.

There needs to be a licensing process that needs renewal, like a drivers license for example. And if your weapon is stolen, and you didn't have it secured when it was stolen, and that weapon ends up killing/hurting someone, I think you should be held accountable.
That would do nothing but prosecute the innocent. The right to bear arms is for everyone. It doesn't matter who has the firearm. It only matters what they are going to do with it.

The problem is we live in a culture where there is no perceived consequences. And throwing consequences on the innocent is not the answer. The answer is to make the consequences perceivable, before it is too late for them to make a moral decision. And even then it will not stop all.

When I was growing up there are things I would not have done, if the punishment was more extreme. Now 35 years later there is literally no punishment at all. And if you try to punish your kid, you will likely be labeled with child abuse. Preventing parents from punishing their kids, the way they see fit was a point of no return.

That would do nothing but prosecute the innocent. The right to bear arms is for everyone. It doesn't matter who has the firearm. It only matters what they are going to do with it.
No, I clearly stated that accountability is important, therefore I would not be for prosecuting the innocent, just those that are guilty of not safeguarding their weapons. I'm not sure where you are pulling the statement "It doesn't matter who has the firearm" because that is 100% completely false. It makes a great deal of difference as to whom has the weapon as they are using it, in fact, because the person who has the weapon is the one shooting it, it's pretty much all that matters. The right to bear arms should not be for everyone, not everyone is capable of handling the responsibility of it. The last bit of you statement, contradicts the beginning of your statement. I am not sure where your thought train is going but I am sure the conductor is just as confused.

because that is 100% completely false.
No it is not false. Everyone has the right to defend their selves. You are agreeing to disarm citizens which is unconstitutional. It is not illegal to bear arms, it is illegal to misuse the firearm. The desire to register and record is all BS.

No it is not false. Everyone has the right to defend their selves. You are agreeing to disarm citizens which is unconstitutional. It is not illegal to bear arms, it is illegal to misuse the firearm. The desire to register and record is all BS.
Your statement of "It doesn't matter who has the firearm. It only matters what they are going to do with it." is farcical. No, I am not agreeing to disarm citizens, just those who are MENTALLY unfit to care for them. The desire to "register and record" is a legitimate option for accountability. I am not going to debate a whimsical conspiracy theory about what you may think is done with those records. I don't see an issue with holding people accountable.

Violence in inherent with being a human being, it is going to happen. But to sit here and call someone else naive is, well naive.. Let's see the hotel room guy try to kill people without his gun. Sure, he could have tossed something(s) out but it would not have been nearly as severe or effective. IF there were no guns, we would have no mass shootings now would we? I am not saying nor would I stand by a statement saying we should take peoples guns, but I will say people need to be held more accountable for owning such weapons. There needs to be a licensing process that needs renewal, like a drivers license for example. And if your weapon is stolen, and you didn't have it secured when it was stolen, and that weapon ends up killing/hurting someone, I think you should be held accountable.
Wow ok. I'm going to have to break this down...

IF there were no guns, we would have no mass shootings now would we?
That's kind of a cheat comment there. I'm talking about VIOLENCE, not mass-shootings. The term mass shooting is a misnomer anyway, as there are billions of them every day and no one gets hurt. You are referring to mass-murder. And IF there were no guns, we WOULD still have mass murder. So I'm sorry man but this is a failed argument.

I am not saying nor would I stand by a statement saying we should take peoples guns, but I will say people need to be held more accountable for owning such weapons
I certainly agree, but accountability is a cultural / society issue.

There needs to be a licensing process that needs renewal, like a drivers license for example.
There already is, nearly all states have a licensing process that requires renewal. So obviously that isn't working. It isn't working because it isn't the problem. Our culture of violence is the problem, not the inanimate object known as the gun.

And if your weapon is stolen, and you didn't have it secured when it was stolen, and that weapon ends up killing/hurting someone, I think you should be held accountable.
Agreed, but again; accountability is not something that is really taught or encouraged in many parts of our culture / society.

Your statement of "It doesn't matter who has the firearm. It only matters what they are going to do with it." is farcical. No, I am not agreeing to disarm citizens, just those who are MENTALLY unfit to care for them. The desire to "register and record" is a legitimate option for accountability. I am not going to debate a whimsical conspiracy theory about what you may think is done with those records. I don't see an issue with holding people accountable.
I see what you are getting at here man and I agree with you. Unfortunately that is not the way the law is written. The law states that the PEOPLE have the right to OWN and CARRY firearms with ZERO RESTRICTIONS. This is as you see too open and not restrictive enough. The second amendment needs to be re-written and modernized; but good lucking doing that because anyone even remotely pro-gun is going to err on the side of caution for fear any new law will be too restrictive.

Regardless when it all comes down to it, the law and existing laws aren't really the problem; nor is the firearm. The problem is our culture of violence, lack of accountability as you note, lack of good mental health care services, and more. You are right that it is human nature to be violent, but it is also human nature to improve oneself and part of improving oneself is becoming civilized and controlling your actions and to a certain extent your emotions. The problem is this isn't really taught, violence is glorified and encouraged in many ways and the penalties for violent actions is almost nothing now. It really is a sad world we live in.

I see what you are getting at here man and I agree with you. Unfortunately that is not the way the law is written. The law states that the PEOPLE have the right to OWN and CARRY firearms with ZERO RESTRICTIONS. This is as you see too open and not restrictive enough. The second amendment needs to be re-written and modernized; but good lucking doing that because anyone even remotely pro-gun is going to err on the side of caution for fear any new law will be too restrictive.

Regardless when it all comes down to it, the law and existing laws aren't really the problem; nor is the firearm. The problem is our culture of violence, lack of accountability as you note, lack of good mental health care services, and more. You are right that it is human nature to be violent, but it is also human nature to improve oneself and part of improving oneself is becoming civilized and controlling your actions and to a certain extent your emotions. The problem is this isn't really taught, violence is glorified and encouraged in many ways and the penalties for violent actions is almost nothing now. It really is a sad world we live in.

If you are saying that we should start by working towards making health care affordable for all, including mental health care, I'm on board with that.

Just move all the events to a country with gun-control. I would never want to go to USA, it's a dangerous and shitty country with nothing but evil to offer.

And your point is? If you look at any non NRA statistics they show gun-control works. It wont end violence altogether, no one said so. There will just be less deaths and almost no gun violence, especially in your obese society knife murders would be rare because of all the effort and even if someone stabbed someone they would survive as the knife would need to be almost a meter long to reach vital organs.

Explain who worships and fetishes over their guns..?

Is that how you view yourself, if/when you get old enough to own guns..? And you don't want to live around someone like yourself...?

And your point is? If you look at any non NRA statistics they show gun-control works. It wont end violence altogether, no one said so. There will just be less deaths and almost no gun violence, especially in your obese society knife murders would be rare because of all the effort and even if someone stabbed someone they would survive as the knife would need to be almost a meter long to reach vital organs.
Seems like you are just as naive. How do you not get it? Take away a tool for killing, killers will just use another tool. Again, vehicles make excellent tools for killing. As do bombs, and many different types of contact weapons in the right scenarios. Even with a small knife, a fatty could easily commit mass murder (or perhaps you would prefer the term mass knifing) in a crowd of people. My point is, again; because you don't seem to comprehend well, evil will just find other ways of committing the same acts of violence.

Seems like you are just as naive. How do you not get it? Take away a tool for killing, killers will just use another tool. Again, vehicles make excellent tools for killing. As do bombs, and many different types of contact weapons in the right scenarios. Even with a small knife, a fatty could easily commit mass murder (or perhaps you would prefer the term mass knifing) in a crowd of people. My point is, again; because you don't seem to comprehend well, evil will just find other ways of committing the same acts of violence.
I don't think anyone is arguing the fact that if you take away a tool, they will use another. The point you are missing is that a gun is about 1000x more effective at the job than using the car, bomb, knife, whatever. I don't know about you, but if someone were to attack me, I would have much better odds if they used a knife than if they had a firearm. Plain and simple.

I don't think anyone is arguing the fact that if you take away a tool, they will use another. The point you are missing is that a gun is about 1000x more effective at the job than using the car, bomb, knife, whatever. I don't know about you, but if someone were to attack me, I would have much better odds if they used a knife than if they had a firearm. Plain and simple.

If somebody were to attack you, then they are obviously alright with breaking the law. So using that same logic, from a criminal's standpoint, what tool would you use for the highest effectiveness, a knife or a gun?

It's easy to get weapons if you're not legally permitted to have them - history has proven that. All you're doing at this point with gun control is taking away my legal right to draw on that guy myself justifiably.

If somebody were to attack you, then they are obviously alright with breaking the law. So using that same logic, from a criminal's standpoint, what tool would you use for the highest effectiveness, a knife or a gun?

It's easy to get weapons if you're not legally permitted to have them - history has proven that. All you're doing at this point with gun control is taking away my legal right to draw on that guy myself justifiably.

Nowhere in there did I suggest that your guns should be taken away. I did say earlier that there needs to be a reasonable set of regulations that keep the guns from getting to those that are not mentally capable of either using them properly and/or not able to keep them responsibly. Gun control is not about taking away your legal rights.

In fact, the post you quoted had nothing to do with the response you gave. The quoted post is just common sense, and really doesn't have a legitimate argument against it. It was not meant to suggest we take away your guns. This is a problem when we talk about gun control, too many people lose the ability to use common sense when this subject comes up. The fact of the matter is that we have a social issue with guns and violence in the country, and we should be working on that together, but in today's USA, it is all about the individual and not about the collective whole. Something needs to change.

I don't think the people in the Nice, France terrorist attack would agree with that statement. 80+ people killed with a vehicle in just a matter of seconds. A vehicle can be an extremely effective killing tool and is just as easy if not easier than using a firearm. I'm also not denying the gun is effective at killing, that is the original intent of the design; but if someone wants to cause mass casualties they have several effective tools at their disposal.

My point is we need to attack the source of the problem; people. An inanimate object isn't wanting to go kill a bunch of people. There are plenty of other mass-murder attacks that have occurred with the use of a vehicle. So I don't agree that the firearm is really that much more effective than using a vehicle for killing.

We have a sick evil problem in our (US) culture where violence is being allowed to propagate. Look at the gangs in Chicago, why is this continuing? How did we get to this point? Respect and morals seem to be a thing of the past in many of our youth and their families. This corruption is the source of much of the hate resulting in violence, and until we fix all this violence will continue no matter how many tools of potential destruction you take away.

And depending on the scenario you may or not have better chance going unarmed against someone with a firearm. there are people who've been shot multiple times who live but someone gets stabbed just once and dies. It just depends on what happens... So I think I'd rather focus more on ridding of the hate and desire for violence in our culture rather than trying to ban everything under the sun; which in the end will only further disarm and make innocent people defenseless.

Nowhere in there did I suggest that your guns should be taken away.
You might as well be. As soon as anyone looses their right to bear arms (we have already reached this point). the removal process will continue to grow until everyone is disarmed. You can already see this in cases where people don't even use guns. They are criminally processed and told they can not bear arms. They were disarmed regardless of whether they ever touched a gun. And now they don't have the right to defend themselves. Once again the answer is not disarming people.

Back