Firefox closes the gap on Edge in the browser market

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? With Chrome spending years unchallenged as the world’s most popular browser, it’s more interesting to see what’s happening further down the rankings, especially in the battle for third place between Microsoft’s Edge and Mozilla’s Firefox.

Statcounter’s report for August shows that while Edge remains in third position behind Chrome and Safari with a 3.56% market share, Firefox has been closing the gap over the last couple of months and is now trailing by just 0.02%.

It was back in May 2021—or April, if you go off NetMarketShare’s figures—that Edge finally overtook Firefox. The Microsoft browser’s share has grown slightly since then, and while Firefox initially fell, it has now reached 3.54%.

Don’t be surprised to see Microsoft extend its lead once Windows 11 starts rolling out on October 5. The company is making it more difficult to switch from its default browser in the upcoming OS—something many have called yet another heavy-handed tactic from the Redmond firm, which has long been accused of forcing people onto Edge.

While Edge has been on the rise since Microsoft made the move to a Chromium-based version, Firefox has seen its user numbers plummet in recent years. The company’s own Public Data Report revealed that the browser had 244 million active monthly users at the end of 2018, but by the second quarter of 2021, the figure had fallen to 198 million. That’s a loss of 46 million people in three years.

Sitting below Firefox, though not by much, is Samsung Internet with a 3.06% share, followed by Opera on 2.17%. None of this will concern Google, of course, which has a nearly 65% share, while Safari is second on 18.75%.

Statcounter's data covers desktop, mobile, tablet, and consoles.

Permalink to story.

Wouldn't be surprised if most Firefox users are coming from or are at least very familiar with Linux: it is looking like outside of the usual Linux fragmentation (Meaning still "Firefox" engine but everybody doing their own modifications on top to suit their distros and Desktop Environments) Firefox might very well become the defacto Linux browser.

Which sadly means most people will continue to code for Chrome and at most also for Safari since Apple is still rather popular.

Firefox really needs to go back to its' old ui. this new ui thats been around for a while now is nowhere near as user friendly as chromium based browsers.....or basically anything else excluding vivaldi I guess but thats because it has 10 billion settings....which is great actually.

the bookmark management in firefox is a joke also. I think their ui is whats really holding back their market share growth because other than that the browser functions pretty much perfectly. Also I'm pretty sure edge would be way up there if the name microsoft wasnt in front of it.

Nothing about FF is special enough for me to stick with it.
I gave it a shot a few months ago and the only thing I miss on mobile is address bar on bottom that works best when tab swiping. On desktop I miss the smooth transitions when starting or resizing streaming video. Aside from that it's a browser.

It won't survive against Chromium.

Only 3.5% use Firefox? Good, this way content providers won't worry about the few of us who block their crap while still accessing their content! Safari, Chrome? Edge? - They're all trash.

"Don’t be surprised to see Microsoft extend its lead once Windows 11 starts rolling out on October 5. The company is making it more difficult to switch from its default browser in the upcoming OS—something many have called yet another heavy-handed tactic from the Redmond firm, which has long been accused of forcing people onto Edge."
Yeah but Europe forced Microsoft to allow users to select which browser they wanted to use rather than being able to force Internet Exploder upon them. I seriously doubt that anything would have changed since then. It's only the non-EU governments who are willing to roll over for Microsoft.

Firefox really needs to go back to its' old ui. this new ui thats been around for a while now is nowhere near as user friendly as chromium based browsers.....or basically anything else excluding vivaldi I guess but thats because it has 10 billion settings....which is great actually.

the bookmark management in firefox is a joke also. I think their ui is whats really holding back their market share growth because other than that the browser functions pretty much perfectly. Also I'm pretty sure edge would be way up there if the name microsoft wasnt in front of it.
That's the beauty of Firefox, you can customize it to look however you want:

Despite of any report that may come, I don't feel that I'm close to leave Firefox. For me, it's not just about choosing an app. I've been a hard user since 2005 when I heard about Mozilla Co. for the first time. Yeah, I've been faced some awful versions, but they tried their best to bring back the Speedy Fox while heard a lot about the the fastest browser from Google.

You can use whatever browser you want. Sometimes I use them too. But while exists, I can't be far away from the browser that always enticed me saying: "Discover the web".

Addons were part of my life before Google be the Google. FF is my church. Amem. lol

Back