First boot of the day will freeze (sometimes BSOD) but restart fixes problem

TheSpencer

I have seen this problem on the forums but it was suggested that each computer is different and I should start my own forum... here we go.

The first boot of the day will lock up my computer. It will happen within 10-30 minutes. Video gaming will cause this to happen faster. During gaming, the sound is the first thing to go. If I keep playing without the sound the problems continue to get worse. Eventually, the computer will not type correctly. The keys will appear to be pressed even though I am not doing it. Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis is an example. At this point, the BSOD is looming and will happen within 2 minutes. After the restart the computer is good to go and performs great... unless I let it go into sleep mode. If it sleeps, I need to wait for it to show the signs of freezing and reboot it again. It can run for days after that first restart. I've tried booting it and immediately restarting the computer but that does not fix the problem either... it HAS to show the signs of or (If I boot it and walk away for a while) freeze and be restarted.

While browsing the forums today, I actually had this problem occur. I read to check the clock time and found the error a few moments before the freeze. Here are the pastes from that log:

(I can't post links and for some reason this forum thinks the copy paste of the event log is a copied link.)

This stuff doesn't mean anything to me. However, I'm decent with computers and am comfortable following directions. My computer is custom built (I've done several) and has been added to and upgraded a few times. This problem still presists despite a new motherboard, video card, sound card, an additional hard drive, a new processor and the latest drivers for all my stuff. It happend with XP pro, Vista, and now with 7. After reading the error logs I see the source says Disk. I've defragged and error checked regularly and even gone though several reformats. Any suggestions, I'm open! I hope this was enough information but will gladly provide additional.

Attachments

• error log.txt
    7.5 KB · Views: 4
Please zip latest five minidumps into a zip file, and attach it with your next post. You can find minidumps in C:\windows\minidump.

Also provide us with complete system specs of this computer.

Required Information

Here are the 5 mini dumps and the Norton 360 details of my hardware and resource usage. Thanks for looking into this problem for me, I'm at a loss.

Attachments

• System Specs.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 4
  • TheSpencer's minidumps.zip
    71.9 KB · Views: 1
Two dumps came back with Bugcheck 101, essentially meaning that one of the processor cores is either non-responsive or deadlocked, resulting in turning off clock synchronization between cores.

Further two dumps reported WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124) again citing your system's processor. Although this can be caused due to hardware or driver issues, in this case I suspect it to be earlier.

The remaining minidump came back with cause of crash being your system's disk controller.

Is your motherboard's BIOS is up-to-date ?

Does your RAM's settings/voltage in BIOS is set exactly as the RAM's specs told so.

Also I would advise you to thoroughly check your Seagate HDD with diagnostic tools provided by Seagate here.

Thank you Archean

Waoaaha...

Alright. I'll be checking the disk drives and looking into the updated drivers for the motherboard as well. (Edit: BIOS is version 0908 and is the most current version released at this time). I'll get back with a status update but... according to the core problem does this mean I am out of luck and need a new chip?

Tests run.

I've completed the HDD diag tests (not the advanced ones because it says there could be some data loss and I'm in the middle of another quarter of online classes and cannot risk any data loss or computer crashing).

BIOS drivers are up to date.
All the HDD tests passed.
I'll be checking the voltage settings by tomorrow but have work in the morning and just finished a large round of homework.

I have a suspicion that the tests passed because I had already done the restart for the day. I'm going to try and run them all again before doing a restart and see if something comes back as a negative. BTW, Memtest ran for 2 hours and I was without and error. Should I have run it longer or do you say that would be sufficient?

As said run memtest for 10-12 passes. But TBH having gone through your minidumps again I am not suspecting RAM, it may be the issue with your processor itself as well.

I would suggest you to also stress test your CPU with Prime95. It will also create a file named stress.txt (sort of an error log), in case your system crashes. I would suggest you to run Prime95 for as many hours you can (personally I've ran it for 24 hours on suspected CPUs, but do keep in mind even sometimes this stress test may not be successful in finding issues problems with CPU even when there are).

Anyway please do update us when you are done testing.

Will update soon

Thanks for the testing suggestions. I've got homework due dates this weekend but will be running the CPU test overnight and through work, it should be about 18 hours all said and done. Hopefully I can get some results. Thanks again and I'll be posting soon.

Stress Test passed

Here are the results from my stress test. I've linked them as an attachment. The tests were run over a few days and overnight last night until about 11:30 this morning. They all seem to have passed. I'm going to be doing some cleaning behind my computer today and since it is out I will also clean out inside it. Although, I do this regularly it can not hurt to do it again. I saw a spider slink down behind my computer last night and all wigged out by it. *shudder* Thanks for taking a look at this file and I hope it helps shed some light on the problem.

Attachments

• results.txt
    17.8 KB · Views: 2
RAM Voltate update

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR1333D3N9K3_6G.pdf

Is the link to my RAM that I've purchased. The voltage says +1.5 volts. I'm curious if that is correct because it appears to be low. I've never done this before and I haven't changed anything yet but would like to know if that is indeed the correct voltage to set it at. All the other RAM I've checked and seen while doing research are at least a 1.8 if not 2.3. Thoughts?

As long as your BIOS is correctly set to run this RAM i.e. Voltage of 1.5V with timings of 9-9-9 you should be alright. By the way setting BIOS to 'AUTO' with regard to RAM settings on ASUS boards doesn't mean it will automatically pick up the right settings in line with RAM's specs, so you may have to do this manually. Prime95 stress test turns out ok.

Did you had any more crashes since the last mindump postings ?

Archean,

I have not had any crashes since then, yet I did just boot up today. I have told my computer to stop entering sleep mode though. It could be that I've been restarting and changing BIOS settings like crazy so there has been no time for it to crash. Thanks for taking a look at my issue. I'm going to check to see about the auto setting for the RAM in the BIOS soon.

That is odd I remember there wasn't any kernel-power relate errors, but anyway, one learns things in this trade almost every day. :)

Lets hope it was the real issue then, Good Luck.

Archean,

I've been out of town for a family trip and have just returned. Three days is plenty of time for the computer to boot up and crash on me. I still have no new minidumps and hope that I will have one. I'm going to run another hard drive test all night with the hopes of generating an error. I have that feeling that... one I start to analyze a problem it goes away... is happening to me and the restarts.

I've had no more mini dumps since I took the computer off of sleep mode. However, when first booting for the day my computer will freeze at the log in screen for around 10-12 seconds. The mouse won't move, the keyboard won't input, etc... after the 10-12 seconds has passed the computer works fine all day. I'm not sure wth is going on but if that's going to happen instead of it slowing to a crawl, losing sound and then rebooting... I'll take it. Thanks for the help.

I would suggest you to check your PSU as well, you will need a multimeter to check whether it is providing the required power under stress, and booting is reasonably stressful on various components, and you are most welcome :)

Back