First clip from Steve Jobs biopic hits the web ahead of Sundance debut

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A minute-long clip featuring Ashton Kutcher as Steve Jobs and Josh Gad as Steve Wozniak from the upcoming indie film jOBS has hit the web today courtesy of Entertainment Weekly.

The snippet is set in the parking garage at Hewlett Packard where Jobs is doing his best to convince Wozniak that his operating system, a real-time display of current operations, gives the freedom to create – let’s people see what they’re working on while they are working on it.

The Woz isn’t yet sold on the idea, saying that he was working on it on his own as a hobby. He isn’t convinced that people would want to buy a computer. The clip ends with Jobs asking how someone would know what they want if they’ve never even seen it – a spin on a famous Jobs quote. As we all know, that idea eventually became the basis for the first Apple computer in the mid 1970s.

If you aren’t familiar, the film chronicles the life of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs from his teenage years through the company’s inception. Many have questioned whether or not Kutcher would be able to do the role of Jobs justice but based on the above clip, it doesn’t look half bad at this point. And of course there’s little denying the uncanny resemblance of Kutcher to a young Jobs.

The biopic is scheduled to debut at the Sundance Film Festival this weekend before finding its way to theaters nationwide on April 19.

Permalink to story.

They're wise to cut off the film at the company's inception. His time at Apple would make for a controversial film. Do you show his real personality, which would make him look like a real jerk a lot of the time, or do you smooth it over because he was a genius who died too early and put up with the ensuing criticism?

Do you show his real personality, which would make him look like a real jerk a lot of the time, or do you smooth it over...?

This is what they did in the 1999 TV movie Pirates of Silicon Valley. For the longest time I just had odd feelings when I saw Jobs. Then I watched the movie about 3 years ago and saw how much of a jerk and how rude he was. Pretty much verified how I as feeling, lol.

Still, I'm interested in this movie. It will be odd seeing Ashton in this role, but I'll still give it a look.

The guy was a genius, over-compulsive pain in the a$$, and one hell of a tech geek.

Put this all in a movie - nobody will want to watch it.

When I watched Pirates of Silicon Valley I thought even that was smoothed out. But Ashton, excuse me, is a wuss, I expect something way off Job's real life.

Like many have said, it's just a clip, but the whole thing looks off... seems Woz believes the same: gizmodo.com/5978777

What we need is a second part for Pirates, which remains a great movie for the early days of Apple and Microsoft.

Like many have said, it's just a clip, but the whole thing looks off... seems Woz believes the same: gizmodo.com/5978777

What we need is a second part for Pirates, which remains a great movie for the early days of Apple and Microsoft.
This. I would love nothing more than a Pirates of Silicon Valley 2.

Back