First ever molecular air purification system now available

Greg S

The air you breathe is not always as clean as we would like, but small business Molekule has shown how it is possible to fundamentally change our expectations of cleanliness. Molekule has just launched their own air purifier that utilizes nanotechnology to remove contaminates from air at the molecular level. This new technology is called Photo Electrochemical Oxidation, or PECO for short.

PECO is used to remove unwanted airborne material including chemicals, bacteria, viruses, mold, and allergens. Unlike traditional HEPA filters found on your standard heating and air conditioning system, or carbon filters, the Molekule Air Purifier can remove viruses and extremely small particle airborne chemicals. These two types of contaminants are over 1,000 times smaller than what other filters are capable of catching.

The technology has been long under development by co-founder of Molekule, Dr. Yogi Goswami. Research by Dr. Goswami has been taking place for the past 20 years, and all of the research is freely available on Molekule's website. After going through an independent testing process, it was shown that this new air purifier can effectively clean up to 600 square feet per hour. While this is not enough to use on your entire home or business, it is still quite competitive compared to other standalone units.

The purifier also includes remote control functionality via an iOS app. The app allows you to monitor and manager filter replacements on the unit. If you prefer to control the unit manually, a touchscreen can be found on top of the device that gives identical options to the app.

If you are looking to try one out for yourself, expect to pay a premium over existing products. No surprise there. The Molekule Air Purifier is available directly from the company website and is currently retailing for $799.99 including a year supply of replacement filters.

Permalink to story.

Wonder if this would have a measurable impact on rate of sicknesses spreading in classrooms.

Wonder if this would have a measurable impact on rate of sicknesses spreading in classrooms.

Depends at what grade level. Middle school and up? I'd say yes. Elementary though I believe a good chunk is generated through contact with contaminated surfaces.

Either way, this filter sounds awesome and would like to see some independent testing done.

Depends at what grade level. Middle school and up? I'd say yes. Elementary though I believe a good chunk is generated through contact with contaminated surfaces.

Either way, this filter sounds awesome and would like to see some independent testing done.

They've actually already done a fair amount of third-party testing--they make all their research and results of independent tests publicly available on their website: https://molekule.com/news#white-papers

The biggest problem with such devices - you cannot evaluate its efficiency, or even whether it works at all. $800 for something that's supposedly doing something? No thanks!

When we buy a heater or an air-con, or an air-freshener, you get the desired effect immediately. But with this one - it's just a box that takes money and space.

The biggest problem with such devices - you cannot evaluate its efficiency, or even whether it works at all. $800 for something that's supposedly doing something? No thanks!

When we buy a heater or an air-con, or an air-freshener, you get the desired effect immediately. But with this one - it's just a box that takes money and space.

Actually, you could just hang a paper towel in a room and send it off to a lab for analysis. One from before, one from after. No idea what that would cost, but it is certainly testable. You could also leave a plate of food exposed in the room and see whether it molds faster without the purifier.

Send me one and I'll put it in my bathroom ...... if it can survive a week it's worth the price!

This is by far the best air purifier I have ever used.

* Both my wife and myself used to wake up congested, and now we do not.
* I have used air purifiers for more than 20 years and this is certainly the quietest.
* I usually have horrible allergies in the summer and this has been my best year ever.

Regarding the price, the previous generation of these purifiers such as the Airocide started at $800, the industrial versions of that previous technology (like the Titan 4000 Hydroxyl Generator) are more like $1,500.

Back