First footage from cancelled Metallica driving game hits the web

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Gameplay footage from a very early build of a long since cancelled video game involving heavy metal band Metallica has found its way to the Internet.

As the story goes, the now-defunct Black Rock Studio was working on a Metallica-inspired post-apocalyptic driving game (think Twisted Metal, Vigilante 8 and so on). Unfortunately, the only thing the public ever saw of the project was a brief teaser included with Metallica’s St. Anger album from 2003 and some artwork that surfaced in 2011.

Over the weekend, YouTube user PtoPOnline managed to publish some very early footage of the game that was once destined for the PlayStation 2.

Unlike other games in this genre, the Metallica game – which likely would have been called Damage Inc. or some similar variant – allowed users to exit their vehicle and hijack others (think Grand Theft Auto). Such functionality would have added a whole new dimension to the typical driving games of the era.

As it turns out, licensing issues may have sidetracked the project which was ultimately shelved in late 2004 or so according to the clip.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

god....I really regret loving Metallica in high school after stuff like this. They're an out-of-date metal group that just needs to stand by their previous successes and move on. Sorry Metallica, but your time as a metal band is over.

What's Dave Mustaine doing in a recent picture of Metallica ? He hasn't been with the band for 35 years now.

Also, the game would have been crap, by the looks of it. Good thing it never saw the light IMO.

What's Dave Mustaine doing in a recent picture of Metallica ? He hasn't been with the band for 35 years now.

Also, the game would have been crap, by the looks of it. Good thing it never saw the light IMO.

That threw me too as Robert Trujillo looks to be in the same pic - being a passing fan of Megadeth and The Infectious Grooves/Suicidal Tendencies this piqued my curiosity

[QUOTE="trgz, post: 1568668, member: 67080"That threw me too as Robert Trujillo looks to be in the same pic - being a passing fan of Megadeth and The Infectious Grooves/Suicidal Tendencies this piqued my curiosity[/QUOTE]

That would make sense, given that Robert Trujillo is a member of Metallica. Mustaine, on the other hand...

god....I really regret loving Metallica in high school after stuff like this. They're an out-of-date metal group that just needs to stand by their previous successes and move on. Sorry Metallica, but your time as a metal band is over.
This was cancelled 12 years ago, not just now!

Back