First gaming PC build -- should I wait for Nvidia 600 series?

This place looks fairly active so I thought I'd try it out and I hope everyone can help me out :).

I've been planning to buy a new gaming PC for years, and now I'm finally ready to start buying parts.

Here is what I was planning on buying:

Tower: HAF 912

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 3000 HD graphics

MOBO: LGA 1155 Z68 USB 3.0 type motherboard (really don't know which one to get)

RAM: 2 x 4 (8GB) preferably with a heatspreader on (don't know what to get)

DVD: Standard dvd burner (don't know which one to get)

Powersupply: 80 plus bronze/gold certified and has enough wattage for SLI in the future

HDD: 1TB 7200RPM (don't have a specific one in mind)

GPU: Now, the thing is, with the 600 series around the corner, I'm wondering if I should hold off my build and wait for it (I'm willing to wait), and just buy my tower, DVD, HDD and OS while I wait, because these don't really require any special compatability. Otherwise I was looking at a GeForce GTX 570

Then when the 600 series comes out I will figure out what MOBO, RAM, CPU, PSU etc I will need for them (although I'm sure the i5 2500k will suffice)

As you have already found ou, there will always be another "best" or another want... Get it now... Build it now, then use what you learn to design a better one, and sell this build to a friend. Don't wait... or you will wait for a new SSD... or a new Windows 8, or a new Super Duper...

As you have already found ou, there will always be another "best" or another want... Get it now... Build it now, then use what you learn to design a better one, and sell this build to a friend. Don't wait... or you will wait for a new SSD... or a new Windows 8, or a new Super Duper...

I see your point. The one I'm using now will not be sold, ever. The one I'm getting is suppose to last me years until I upgrade.

No, I'm just going to wait for the new GFX cards, because apparently a 650 Ti is half the price of a GTX 580 yet performs the same. I'm poor, so if waiting two months saves me 100 or 200 dollars I will for sure go for it.

All I can say is that I have a GTS 450 and I am waiting for the 600 series. I'm planning on upgrading to 660 or 670 performance level.

If you do a little research, you can figure out the other hardware requirements you will be needing.

@thetechnoobguy
My advice; If you can afford to wait...then wait. Once Nvidia's 28nm products and the rest of AMD's HD 7000 series drop you should see some price realignment. Buying a GTX 570 (or similar) now is probably a bad idea unless you get a sweetheart deal. Even if the next generation don't live up to the billing, you're likely to be able to pick up a GTX 580 at GTX 570 prices in a few months - bear in mind that Nvidia have-by all accounts- ceased production of GF110 (GTX580/570/560Ti 448SP) with TSMC (Nvidia's chip supplier)

I would wait for the 600 series cards, what AMD are doing with the 7970/7950 at the moment is just pricing them at the same performance/price ratio as the older generation. Once a bit of competition comes in prices will drop pretty sharply.

Having said that you could be waiting for months...

I suggest upping the tower to a full tower case, better for a keeping pc for years in my opinion, as you have the option of adding 4 GPU and things like that. Current suggestion by Techspot is the Cooler Master Storm Trooper so look into that one, or the HAF 932.

I suggest upping the tower to a full tower case.
Are you seriously suggesting a case that will support four graphics cards when the OP is asking about a single graphics card build. Why are you suggesting such overkill? The OP has not even mentioned SLI or Crossfire and you bring up a quad configuration.

@cliffordcooley
Powersupply: 80 plus bronze/gold certified and has enough wattage for SLI in the future
Well the OP did mention the desire for a PSU strong enough for a future SLI. So maybe the full tower wouldn't be a bad idea. I know i recently upgraded from a mid-tower. It was super packed and I only was using a single GPU. Even more so, he wants to keep this rig for a couple years. He will most likely want to upgrade and a Full tower will allow him enough space to mess around as he pleases.

In regards to the choice of GPU. I agree with the majority of the posts. Id wait to see what happens when the 7000 line fully drops and prices adjust.

Are you seriously suggesting a case that will support four graphics cards when the OP is asking about a single graphics card build. Why are you suggesting such overkill? The OP has not even mentioned SLI or Crossfire and you bring up a quad configuration.

The op also said "The one I'm using now will not be sold, ever. The one I'm getting is suppose to last me years until I upgrade", So i just suggested the full tower because it has more options and more room for upgrades than a mid tower. I understand that buying a new graphics card could also upgrade a pc, but I think adding graphics card from a previous series is cheaper than buying a new graphics card. The full tower suggestion was based on that one statement, if the op has no need for a full tower then that's up to him to decide, but I'm just offering him suggestions for better upgrade options. Basically what Blkfx1said is why I suggested the full tower, I just read his post after making this one, and I guess cable management is easier in a full tower.

I would wait in my opionion.

A couple of months and prices will drop.. hardrives and gpus in particular.

Nice build otherwise, though i might be tempted with 2 x evga 460 sc,s in sli instead, probably for a similar price, slightly better performance and a more upgradeable mobo.

A couple of months and prices will drop.. hardrives and gpus in particular.

Nice build otherwise, though i might be tempted with 2 x evga 460 sc,s in sli instead, probably for a similar price, slightly better performance and a more upgradeable mobo.
It will be quite a few months and possibly the end of the year until HDD prices stable out. I second the 2 x evga 460 superclocked in SLI (make sure both are v2), both can be bought for around $300 US.

SATA HDD prices for3.5" and 2.5" will likely be stabilized by May 1... Look at the changes in the past 2 weeks... The price recovery at NewEgg, Directron, and Tiger are remarkable improvements already. Of the 7 most damaged factories, 3 are at full production now... and two more are close.
SSD's lower prices are taking the pressure off.. and will continue to do so until September.

The only questions relate to IDE drives... as many manufacturing plans say nothing about them. But where there is a dollar ther is a way.

The HAF912 will accommodate triple GPUs, 6x 3.5" hard disks and 2x 2.5 hard disks, as well as 4x optical discs with enough cooling for all of it.

Doubt you're going to struggle with going for that tower, its about the best mid-sized case you can buy without needing to be as wealthy as an oil baron. :haha:

@leeky The 4 x 3.5 hard drive cage will need to be removed in the haf 912 to fit any card around 12"(from neweggs review), the gtx 570 which he mentioned or the 600 series equivalent(probably gtx 670) is around 12", so you say 6x 3.5 but its really only 2x 3.5" for the cards he's looking for. Also the haf 912 has poor cooling out of the box and according to overclockersclub review of the case adding at least 2 fans is 100% necessary, so that highers cost as well.

That is a good point, didn't think about the longer GPUs as not had one that won't fit yet myself.

With that removed you're still good for 2x 2.5 and 2x3.5, or 4x 2.5" and 1x 3.5" disks. You have a valid point though, again.

My point was more along the lines of it being a well equipped and versatile case that offers room to grow. For the price what you get is very good, and its bloody well made.

Back