First screenshots of Microsoft's Chromium-based browser arrive

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: It’s been a few months since Microsoft confirmed it was working on a new version of Edge built on Chromium. Now, we’ve finally got our first look at the new browser, codenamed Anaheim, giving us an idea of the progress that’s been made.

Neowin published screenshots of an internal developer build of Anaheim, which currently looks like a mix of Edge and Chrome. It has many of the same elements as the world’s most popular web browser, including the favorites star and profile image.

There are also screen grabs of the new extensions store, which can be accessed from a shortcut and features several updated add-ons transferred from the Chrome Web Store. Additionally, Chrome extensions can be installed directly from Chrome's store by enabling a new settings toggle.

As this is a Microsoft product, the Bing search engine is integrated into the new browser, and there’s a personalized news feed at the bottom that’s powered by Microsoft News. It’s noted that you can customize the feed based on your preferences.

While it does look a lot like Chrome right now, the interface will almost certainly go through a number of changes before the final version rolls out to the public.

No word on when we might see the final version, but the Dev and Canary builds are receiving weekly and daily updates, respectively. If you want to take part in future public testing, you can sign up here.

Permalink to story.

Just make sure it dosen't automatically launch on boot up and continue to run in the background .... we have enough complications without adding another one!

Chromium performed poorly for me.

#1 When I play on Chess.com, I was suffering from memory leaks where the program ran progressively slower and slower as time went on. I lost a lot of matches to my timer just running out on hangs.

I KNOW it wasn't my computer: I have a 7980 i9, 32GB od DDR4 and a 2080Ti. It couldn't have been me.

#2 Virus Alerts taking over my computer in Chromium. I stopped using it - never had that problem again.

Will there be anyway of changing the search engine from Bing to Google? If not, I won't even give it a try...
Wow... it's not even released and you are already on the fence about this one... if you can change it in IE and Edge, I feel pretty confident that this can happen here as well.
Chromium performed poorly for me.

#1 When I play on Chess.com, I was suffering from memory leaks where the program ran progressively slower and slower as time went on. I lost a lot of matches to my timer just running out on hangs.

I KNOW it wasn't my computer: I have a 7980 i9, 32GB od DDR4 and a 2080Ti. It couldn't have been me.

#2 Virus Alerts taking over my computer in Chromium. I stopped using it - never had that problem again.
Normally when there are issues, it's either a bad optimized code for a specific explorer (Which a. is not the fault of chromium, and b. it has nothing to do with your computer either), or the plugins you have running don't like to play nice with each other. Try to use a clean install of chromium or try going through incognito mode without extensions.

Disclaimer, I'm a Firefox user.

Wow... it's not even released and you are already on the fence about this one... if you can change it in IE and Edge, I feel pretty confident that this can happen here as well.
How are you already defending a product that hasn't come out yet?! And this is Microsoft! Famous for terrible browsers...

How about we assume it's rubbish until it's come out and proven Microsoft has broken their 25 odd years of terrible browsers?

How are you already defending a product that hasn't come out yet?! And this is Microsoft! Famous for terrible browsers...

How about we assume it's rubbish until it's come out and proven Microsoft has broken their 25 odd years of terrible browsers?
What can indicate that you will be forced to bing, if this has not happened, and they probably know that it will be shooting themselves in the foot (Not that is hasn't happened before though), it felt like a dumb assumption.

Disclaimer: I'm a Firefox lover.

What can indicate that you will be forced to bing, if this has not happened, and they probably know that it will be shooting themselves in the foot (Not that is hasn't happened before though), it felt like a dumb assumption.

Disclaimer: I'm a Firefox lover.
So it felt like a dumb assumption? And in the same sentence, you admit they have shot themselves in the foot before? Right... Very Dumb I Guess /sarcasm

For someone who keeps having to say they use Firefox, you sure seem to be defending Microsoft quite a bit, I'd have thought you'd hate this move, since it's now basically just Firefox and Chromium based browsers in the market...

So it felt like a dumb assumption? And in the same sentence, you admit they have shot themselves in the foot before? Right... Very Dumb I Guess /sarcasm
Yes, they've done some pretty dumb moves, but as dumb as try to force bing as a search engine, it would make people flock away from the product and at this EXTREMELY early stages where there is not even a product to discuss about, complaining about it while not really having tested it or knowing more about sound way dumber. This was all that I was trying to get to.
For someone who keeps having to say they use Firefox, you sure seem to be defending Microsoft quite a bit
I'm not defending Microsoft on this one (Since there is really nothing to defend), it's just the fact that you (or anyone) are complaining about the unknown features that baffles me. And yes, it feels like I have to say I'm a Firefox user to not get thrown into the Microsoft Love/hatewagon.
I'd have thought you'd hate this move, since it's now basically just Firefox and Chromium based browsers in the market...
It has been basically like that for quite a while now, people really like Chromium based browsers and they are entitled to do so, if this is removing the options it hurts creativity and development but there is not much we can do with the little offerings there are, on the contrary, for web development and web servers this could be a great move as optimizations could be easier to implement.

Apologies if some things are not making sense, I'm still trying to wake up...

Hopefully, this new version won't include that highly biased Newsguard trash 'for our own protection' against so-called fake news sites.

Back