First Titan V benchmarks show how it compares to a GTX 1080 Ti

midian182

Staff member

Friday brought the unexpected news that Nvidia had launched “the most powerful PC GPU ever created,” the Titan V. While this $3000, Volta-based GPU is aimed at researchers, developers, and scientists working in the fields of AI and machine learning, we're more interested in its benchmark scores and game performance. Thanks to Redditor MrOmgWtfHaxor, we now know how it stacks up against the competition.

To recap, the GV100-powered Titan V, which is fabricated on a new TSMC 12-nanometer FFN high-performance manufacturing process, features 110 teraflops of raw horsepower, 21.1 billion transistors, 12GB of HMB2 memory, 5120 CUDA Cores, and 640 tensor cores.

None of these benchmarks are official, of course, so we can’t guarantee their authenticity. The 3DMark Fire Strike results have since disappeared, but they showed the Titan V scoring 32,774 while running at stock clocks and using Nvidia’s latest 388.59 WHQL drivers. When overclocked by 170MHz, the score went up to 35,991. The Titan Xp and GTX 1080 Ti, by comparison, normally hit around 28,000.

Next up is Unigine Superposition. The GPU scored 5222 in the 8K Optimized preset and 9431 points with the 1080p Extreme preset. Overclocker Kingpin managed to get a GTX 1080Ti clocked at 2581MHz to reach a score 8642 in the latter benchmark, and that was using liquid nitrogen.

We also got to see how the Titan V fared when it comes to games. Even though it’s not really a 'gaming card,' it was still pretty far ahead of the GTX 1080 Ti. Using the highest settings and running in 1440p, the Titan V averaged 66fps in Tomb Raider, 158fps in Gears of War, and 88fps in Ashes of the Singularity. YouTube channel Joker Productions made the comparison graph below, which shows the new Titan to be at least 26 percent faster than the 1080Ti, though it is over $2000 more expensive.

The results aren’t too unexpected for a card that isn't primarily designed for gaming, but it does give an idea of what to expect when Volta-based GeForce cards arrive, or should that be if they arrive. Rumors have been circulating that Nvidia might skip Volta in favor of Ampere for its next generation of consumer gaming GPUs.

Permalink to story.

For $3000, that sux.
well it was designed for scientific applications not gaming.

To anyone who is going to complain about the price, nVidia has said this is not a gaming card and is more focused on deep learning applications. Also, I don't believe a single person on this forum has money for a $3k graphics card. Buy 2 1080Ti's, although I bet no one on here but me has 2 1080Ti's.

"The results aren’t too unexpected for a card that isn't primarily designed for gaming"
"The results aren’t too unexpected for a card that isn't primarily designed for gaming"

To people who read the title and go to the comments right away to be a keyboard warrior.

I already sent a message to @Julio to set the title's font size to 12pt and the rest of the article to 24pt.

Good luck to nVidia on this one - even in the target market. I might not have the latest and greatest, but I'll stay a generation or two behind. IMO, much more value for the money that way.

For $3000, that sux.

Indeed, it doesn't even look like they achieved good scaling with the additional cores. Volta was supposed to bring better DX 12 performance but we're not seeing it here.

The Superpostition results definitely seem like an outlier though and Joker has been known to make mistakes before.

Let me be clear.. the Titan V is paired with 6700k.. which frequency is up to 4.2ghz.. where the 1080 ti is paired with a 6800k. Which is clocked upto 3.6 GHz.. this should be stated to matter at the lower fps? They should do the fps at 4k resolution to compare? Hmmm.. thoughts ?

For $3000, that sux.
well it was designed for scientific applications not gaming.

To anyone who is going to complain about the price, nVidia has said this is not a gaming card and is more focused on deep learning applications. Also, I don't believe a single person on this forum has money for a $3k graphics card. Buy 2 1080Ti's, although I bet no one on here but me has 2 1080Ti's.

You would be quite wrong in that assumption. Dual custom liquid-cooled Titan Xp's here. Corsair 900D, 7980XE, R6E MB, 32GB of DDR4200. Custom dedicated loop for the CPU as well. Nothing compromised, nothing skimped. I have a career - I work. It's nothing for me to budget for an $8K+ build every anytime I feel the need.

You would be quite wrong in that assumption. Dual custom liquid-cooled Titan Xp's here. Corsair 900D, 7980XE, R6E MB, 32GB of DDR4200. Custom dedicated loop for the CPU as well. Nothing compromised, nothing skimped. I have a career - I work. It's nothing for me to budget for an $8K+ build every anytime I feel the need.
well I was not wrong to assume that before because I've been here for almost 8 years and rarely see something like that pop up and you don't even have enough posts to have a post count

You got a benchmark for it at 1080p...but not 4k? All that VRAM is just screaming 4k.

On a serious note, just hook up two 1080ti's in SLI if you need extreme performance before next gen and save some $.

well I was not wrong to assume that before because I've been here for almost 8 years and rarely see something like that pop up and you don't even have enough posts to have a post count
Have you looked at my build? I have triple Titan X cards in a custom liquid cooled Corsair 900D.... but I'd never do that again.... considering 2 1080Ti cards would outperform my triple Titan X cards shows that purchasing the Titan brand is simply foolish....

I'll give it a year when it's in the discount bin for $35 .....
My take exactly.

As far as the target market, the Tensor cores could likely also be used if game developers want to use them. Assuming Tensor cores are not some marketing bling, and are actually intended to support tensor operations, there is no reason that they would not work for games - someone feel free to correct me if my assumptions are incorrect.

However, my bet is that nVidia will expect the target market to program for these cores, and that there is no automatic use of these cores to accelerate mathematical operations that could undergo a mathematical transformation to be processed in the Tensor cores.

Personally, I will not spend this much on a card, and given the prices that GTX Titan Zs (the last card from big green priced at this point) are going for on e-bay, it will not be worth it when people are dumping them.

Have you looked at my build? I have triple Titan X cards in a custom liquid cooled Corsair 900D.... but I'd never do that again.... considering 2 1080Ti cards would outperform my triple Titan X cards shows that purchasing the Titan brand is simply foolish....
I went down the high-priced road once, and I will never go that route again.

I contemplated buying the 1080 Ti, but given the prices of 980 Tis on e-bay now, I simply could not justify the 1080 Ti as it was over two times more expensive for an nonequivalent performance gain (at least for my uses) - and I'll never spend enough in electricity to make up the cost.

IMO, even if one has deep pockets, being on the bleeding edge just is not worth it these days unless it is needed for some sort of professional requirements that cannot be met otherwise.

As I see it, the same goes for many other consumer electronic products, too, especially HTRs.

I went down the high-priced road once, and I will never go that route again.

I contemplated buying the 1080 Ti, but given the prices of 980 Tis on e-bay now, I simply could not justify the 1080 Ti as it was over two times more expensive for an nonequivalent performance gain (at least for my uses) - and I'll never spend enough in electricity to make up the cost.

IMO, even if one has deep pockets, being on the bleeding edge just is not worth it these days unless it is needed for some sort of professional requirements that cannot be met otherwise.

As I see it, the same goes for many other consumer electronic products, too, especially HTRs.
main reason I did it is that I wanted something I could game with at 4k and I wanted to make some money mining crypto currency. I've gotten about 3/4 of my money back by mining with them. And now, in the winter, I'm offsetting the cost of using a space heater. It was a calculated decision. The other cool part about it is that I can mine with one and game at 4k on the other if the game isn't too demanding.

It was not an easy decision but I'm glad I made it now. it gives me bragging rights and has saved me money

Anyone else have the dumb thought of building a mockup model of a Titan III Rocket as a custom chassis, with the Titan V GPU being displayed prominently in the middle? Basically like one of those "trash can style" chassis, but elongated in the shape of a rocket? If only as a play on words/the name?

No one else? Okay.

Back