Fitbit announces Blaze, it's first-ever color touchscreen fitness watch

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Fitbit has announced its first-ever fitness tracker with a color touchscreen display, the Fitbit Blaze, which some are describing as a cross between the company's own Fitbit Surge and an Apple Watch. Fitbit, however, prefers to call it a smart fitness watch.

The Fitbit Blaze features a rectangular watch face with Gorilla Glass covering the 240 x 180 pixel display. The screen measures 31.75mm diagonally with the actual display area measuring 25.38mm x 19.035mm. It's offered in your choice of black, blue or purple band made of elastomer (rubber) material that Fitbit says is similar to what's used in many sports watches.

Fitbit will also sell you an optional leather or stainless steel band if rubber isn't your thing.

Feature-wise, the Blaze is a fitness device above all else. It offers an array of fitness tracking features including FitStar (a guided personal trainer of sorts), continuous heart rate tracking, a multi-sport mode that lets the wearer record specific activities like running, biking, weights, yoga and so on and SmartTrack, a feature that automatically recognizes and records continuous movement activities.

The wearable doesn't have its own GPS but can use a connected smartphone to deliver real-time stats like distance, pace and minute-mile split times. As a smartwatch, Blaze can field call, text and calendar notifications, allow the wearer to accept or reject calls from a connected handset and even adjust music playback.

Fitbit says Blaze is good for up to five days of use on a single charge and is compatible with more than 200 Android, iOS and Windows mobile devices.

The Fitbit Blaze is available to pre-order today priced at $199.95. A leather band will set you back an additional $99.95 while the stainless steel band goes for an extra $129.95. Look for the Blaze to arrive in March.

Permalink to story.

LOL .... reminds me of when the first digital watches showed up; everyone ran out to buy one and in a few years they rapidly started disappearing. I always wondered if it was because they just looked a bit cheap or if it was information overload? Sad to say this will probably happen again with all the "health monitoring" gadgets in a few years. Jim Fix was "Mr. Runner" to generations of people until he dropped dead of a heart attack and the running craze went away quickly ..... oh, we Americans are such a fickled bunch!

$200 for a wearable that does actually add some value isn't bad but $99 & $129 for additional straps?!! Who's their supplier, Apple?

LOL .... reminds me of when the first digital watches showed up; everyone ran out to buy one and in a few years they rapidly started disappearing. I always wondered if it was because they just looked a bit cheap or if it was information overload? Sad to say this will probably happen again with all the "health monitoring" gadgets in a few years. Jim Fix was "Mr. Runner" to generations of people until he dropped dead of a heart attack and the running craze went away quickly ..... oh, we Americans are such a fickled bunch!
Why stop at Americans? They're no different to anyone else apart from their funny pronunciations and spelling. :D

Hopefully this marks a step up in quality, I have bought several of the flex models as gifts, and currently have a charge. The straps of the flex models fall apart with normal use, and the strap on my charge seems to be coming away at the edges of the electronic section of the device. Given this costs as much as a cheap wrist watch (which I have several that are still working without any issue) I'm a little let down on the quality. Perhaps corner cutting to allow them to focus on the tech rather than durability of the strap component... Not sure I'd buy another one from them unless there was a definitive improvement.

Sorry, I'll stick to my less than $100 Casio Wave Ceptor watch that needs a battery about once every 3-4 years, syncs with the atomic clock once a day, keeps the time, day, date, stopwatch alarm. That is all I need from a watch. Not to mention I don't have to worry about cracking the screen, bumping it and destroying it.

Hopefully this marks a step up in quality, I have bought several of the flex models as gifts, and currently have a charge. The straps of the flex models fall apart with normal use, and the strap on my charge seems to be coming away at the edges of the electronic section of the device. Given this costs as much as a cheap wrist watch (which I have several that are still working without any issue) I'm a little let down on the quality. Perhaps corner cutting to allow them to focus on the tech rather than durability of the strap component... Not sure I'd buy another one from them unless there was a definitive improvement.

I'm suffering from the same issue where the band on the charge is peeling away. I've read in a lot of places if you contact fitbit and have a receipt they will replace it for you!

I'm suffering from the same issue where the band on the charge is peeling away. I've read in a lot of places if you contact fitbit and have a receipt they will replace it for you!
Thanks, I picked mines up from Ebay so doubt I'll be eligible for that replacement. Shame though, as other than that I'm happy with the device.

Back