Fitbit announces first true smartwatch, the Fitbit Ionic, and $129 Flyer wireless headphones

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Fitbit on Monday introduced the world to its first bona fide smartwatch, the Fitbit Ionic.

The fitness-minded consumer electronics company dipped its toes in the smartwatch waters with the Fitbit Blaze in early 2016 but that wasn’t really a “true” smartwatch.

The Ionic, which Fitbit describes as the ultimate health and fitness smartwatch, is constructed of lightweight aluminum with a nano-molding technology that allows the watch body to double as a Bluetooth and GPS antenna. It features a color, spherical glass touchscreen display with a brightness of up to 1,000 nits and is offered in a range of styles and colors (such is also the case with the bands).

The wearable affords a variety of features including contactless payments, the ability to store music locally, water resistance up to 50 meters, sleep tracking, improved heart rate tracking, smart notifications and 4+ day battery life (this drops down to just 10 hours if you use the GPS or play music).

Users will have access to a variety of apps and clock faces via the Fitbit App Gallery as well as dynamic, on-demand workouts courtesy of Fitbit Coach. Audio coaching sessions designed to increase endurance, speed and form are coming in 2018, we’re told.

There’s even a relative SpO2 sensor for estimating blood oxygen levels which Fitbit says may one day be able to provide deeper health insights.

Fitbit earlier this year relinquished its position as the world’s top wearables vendor. According to a report from Strategy Analytics, Apple is now the global wearable leader as far as shipments are concerned.

Fitbit on Monday also announced a set of wireless headphones they’re calling Fitbit Flyer. Essentially earbuds connected by a tether, the Flyer features a hydrophobic nano-coating that is rain, splash and sweatproof.

The headphones provide up to six hours of playtime per charge and deliver two sound profiles for a more personal listening experience. The quick charge feature grants an additional hour of playtime with just a 15-minute charge. Included with each purchase is a collection of interchangeable ear tips, wings and fins to help users get the best possible fit.

Yahoo Finance earlier this year leaked renderings of the smartwatch and earbuds which, in hindsight, appear to be spot-on.

The Fitbit Ionic will be available to pre-order starting tomorrow at select retailers (and from Fitbit’s website) priced at $299.95. Traditional and sport bands will command $29.95 each while a hand-crafted Horween leather strap will set you back $59.95. The Flyer headphones also go up for pre-order on Tuesday and will ding your wallet for $129.95.

Both will arrive sometime in October, the company says.

Permalink to story.

$299 for the Iconic... I could get any Smartwatch on the market and it would have better features that this thing.

$199 for the Blaze was worth it but this thing is no better than the Surge for an extra $100... I don't think so.

$299 for the Iconic... I could get any Smartwatch on the market and it would have better features that this thing.

$199 for the Blaze was worth it but this thing is no better than the Surge for an extra $100... I don't think so.
Try the Garmin Fenix 5 then for a paltry 600 big ones.

Anddddddd overpriced
If you don't want or use an activity tracker then even 50c will sound overpriced. For what this gadget does and offers, it's not a bad price at all when you consider Garmin's Fenix 5 and Apples rubbish cost... and it does everything those can do just as well. If I wasn't (along with all my fitness freak friends) already in Garmin's eco system, I'd consider switching but then I'd lose all my historic fitness and Strava cycling data.

I'm liking what I'm seeing and the price doesn't sound too bad either. Although I don't give a damn about the smartwatch functionality part of things, if it's there I'll surely give it a try... then brush it aside later. It's the fitness data that really concerns me.

Anddddddd overpriced
If you don't want or use an activity tracker then even 50c will sound overpriced. For what this gadget does and offers, it's not a bad price at all when you consider Garmin's Fenix 5 and Apples rubbish cost... and it does everything those can do just as well. If I wasn't (along with all my fitness freak friends) already in Garmin's eco system, I'd consider switching but then I'd lose all my historic fitness and Strava cycling data.
I'm with you on this one, it's fairly priced in comparison to the competition. It actually looks cooler but the battery doesn't convince me. You can't export Garmin data? If you can you could always do the export and then add it to something "universal" like Android Health I believe it's called.

I'm with you on this one, it's fairly priced in comparison to the competition. It actually looks cooler but the battery doesn't convince me. You can't export Garmin data? If you can you could always do the export and then add it to something "universal" like Android Health I believe it's called.
Thanks man but I think you can export your legacy data from Connect to another ecosystem because I see an 'export' option in the app but also, as I said in my post, "you use whatever manufacturers device the majority of your mates do". Didn't somebody just scoop up Fitbit the other day? Here's a link
from a reputable YouTube site in case you're interested.

Last edited:
Nope, still too expensive for "a watch". When smart watches start looking and feeling like a traditional watch (METAL cases & bands), and the price comes down to a reasonable level (under $200), with a 5 day battery life, typical, I'll consider it. Otherwise it's just an overpriced "gadget".
I've worn watches since the early 70's. But, today, you don't see a lot of 20-30 somethings wearing them because they grew up in the era of the smartphone. They have a "clock" with them 24/7, why other than the gadget reason, would they shell out a couple hundred bucks for a watch?

Back