Fix missing favicons on Google Chrome

Julio Franco

Staff member
Recently Google Chrome stopped showing favicons for all my bookmark bar favorites. Since I can only fit so many bookmarks and thus I abbreviate the descriptions, the icons help me color-coding them so they're more easily identifiable and I can visually follow where I want to go as quickly as possible.

[CENTER]
chrome-bookmarks-bar.png
[/CENTER]

There is an easy fix to this if you reset the Chrome cache for favicons. Delete the Favicons file in the designated location:

In Windows:
C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

**In OS X:
/Users/your_username/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/

**To access the User Library folder in OS X, hold the Option key and then select Go > Library from the Finder menu bar.

Restart your browser and you should be back in business.

Not directly related, but why does your Google Chrome have three colored circles (Red,Yellow & Green) in top left & mine don't? Its no big deal, just curious. :)

Thanks for sharing this Julio Franco. I literally uninstalled Google Chrome for this reason. It's so annoying having bookmarks without favicons. I didn't care to try and fix the issues I just retired it for FF lol.

Not directly related, but why does your Google Chrome have three colored circles (Red,Yellow & Green) in top left & mine don't? Its no big deal, just curious. :)

That's because he's probably running Mac OS X. It's the buttons for close, maximise, minimise. :)

Yeah, if you missed Romper Room when you were young, as I did as well, then the 3-pretty-colored-dots wouldn't necessarily be intuitive. Apple doesn't require their constituency to understand the dark art of "reading and writing"; one episode of Romper Room or 5-days of standard Kindergarten is all that is required to be a Mac OS X Master....

Yeah, if you missed Romper Room when you were young, as I did as well, then the 3-pretty-colored-dots wouldn't necessarily be intuitive. Apple doesn't require their constituency to understand the dark art of "reading and writing"; one episode of Romper Room or 5-days of standard Kindergarten is all that is required to be a Mac OS X Master....
Actually I was told in another thread it was because the user had GC on a Mac. Nothing to do with Romper Room :)

Ahum; those three colored circles upper left are uniform for ALL Mac OS X windows - -
just like the DASH -- nested squares -- and the red X upper right are uniform for Windows.

hmm; the diversity here is a tad shallow, isn't it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried as instructed but the problem is I can't delete the Favicons and Favicons-journal files (as attached) . Please help! :'(

Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 10.01.19 pm.jpg

I do not have any favicon files in the folder indicated in this post ! could someone help me please ! I am a girl hihi ! I need my favicon back since I have not even one single name in my bookmarks I just keep the icons ! it is a mess now with no favicons

cKA5Lr1.jpg

I think you're using the wrong term - - favion is a webserver file. I think you're really looking for Thumbnails.

Back