Flagship iPhone 14 models could have a larger camera bump to accommodate new 48MP sensor

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Apple's upcoming iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Max are expected to feature an even larger rear camera bump than the current-gen handsets. According to a leading iPhone analyst, the bigger bump is necessary to accommodate a larger camera system.

Max Weinback from Android Police shared schematics for the next-gen iPhone on Twitter last week. According to the leaked documents, Apple's next iPhone will feature a rear camera array with dimensions that are roughly five percent bigger. The bump will also protrude further out from the device.

In a recent tweet addressing the changes, renowned iPhone analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the main reason for the larger and more prominent rear camera bump is to accommodate a higher-resolution camera module.

The rear camera sensor on the iPhone 13 family is a 12MP unit, but the new higher-end phones will reportedly feature a 48MP sensor.

"The diagonal length of 48MP CIS will increase by 25-35 percent, and the height of 48MP's 7P lens will increase by 5-10 percent," Kuo added.

Apple's next iPhones are widely expected to debut in mid-September. The high-end models are also rumored to ship with a hole punch-style camera to replace the unsightly notch up front. Some are also convinced that only the Pro and Max models will get a new processor and faster RAM this time around, with the entry-level and mainstream models sticking with the A15 Bionic from the iPhone 13.

Should that come to pass, it'd be a precedent-setting move that would further define the line between standard and flagship iPhones.

Image credit Howard Bouchevereau, Screen Post

Permalink to story.

As a avid iPhone lover, let me be first to say that iPhone's camera is perfect for now. Of all the things I'd want in a new iPhone, the camera isn't that important.

The Camcorder however, I'll accept an upgrade to higher framerate recording in normal and slowmo - but as far as pictures go, it's nothing but diminishing returns.

Social media downgrades photos past a certain size and emails can't handle them - many accounts don't allow photos of certain sizes.

I am just happy they have a 1TB storage option from now on.

Makes sense. We buy thin glass cameras with smartphone capability more than we buy smartphones that have a camera.

The camera bump itself doesn’t bother me, I like 99% of other iPhone users use a case. So there’s no bump..

This is just another way to sap people's money. That is Apple's specialty, after all. I don't get people who spend a crapload on a phone any more than I understand people who spend a crapload on a craptop. My Motorola Moto G Power (2020 model) cost me under $300CAD at Costco (brand-new and unlocked) and it's amazing with three cameras (panoramic, macro and normal photo) and (this one I still can't believe) Dolby Surround Sound.

The people who spend four figures on a phone either have lots of money and don't care or don't have a lot of money but want to pretend that they do.

This is just another way to sap people's money. That is Apple's specialty, after all. I don't get people who spend a crapload on a phone any more than I understand people who spend a crapload on a craptop. My Motorola Moto G Power (2020 model) cost me under $300CAD at Costco (brand-new and unlocked) and it's amazing with three cameras (panoramic, macro and normal photo) and (this one I still can't believe) Dolby Surround Sound.

The people who spend four figures on a phone either have lots of money and don't care or don't have a lot of money but want to pretend that they do.
That apple logo is a "fashion trend" for a lot of people. Gotta keep up with the Jones'. Same as everyone has to have an SUV, live in a certain neighborhood, drink starbucks coffee etc. You know...Lemmings because everyone else is doing it.

Well, let's see. It only has 4 GB of RAM and a lower-end Qualcomm processor. I can guarantee you that you won't be able to multitask much on it. Apps will be closing constantly if you switch to another app. Oh, and it's only Android 10.

Yeah, it's $300 for a reason. It's at the far-end of the lower-end of devices. If you ask me, it's low-end garbage that's only been made because the manufacturer has to get rid of hardware that was made three years ago and they're trying to recoup the cost.

If you want a good Android experience, you have to pony up the cash for the Samsung Galaxy S22.

Well, let's see. It only has 4 GB of RAM and a lower-end Qualcomm processor. I can guarantee you that you won't be able to multitask much on it. Apps will be closing constantly if you switch to another app. Oh, and it's only Android 10.

Yeah, it's $300 for a reason. It's at the far-end of the lower-end of devices. If you ask me, it's low-end garbage that's only been made because the manufacturer has to get rid of hardware that was made three years ago and they're trying to recoup the cost.
If I ask you, it's low-end junk. If I ask actual phone reviewers, it's a fantastic value and a phone definitely worth owning:
PC Magazine: 4 stars out 0f 5
Android Central: 4 stars out of 5
CNet: 7.4 stars out of 10
The Verge: 8 stars out of 10

I read all of these articles (and then some) before making my decision. From actual ownership experience, I agree with the reviewers. It's things like this that allow me to own luxury watches. :laughing:

Back