Flash Drives, write protected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow, my flash drives, SanDisk Micro Cruzer-1GB,and my USB external ard drive got writeprotected on my main computer. Any time I try to copy something into it, I receive a pop-up,"Error 19-The media is write protected." No problem copying out from it the files that are already on it. On other computers, the flash drives works properly. How do I remove the write protection? Using XP Pro/SP2.
Cannot format the flash drives, even in Safe mode, or using Disk management, or command mode. However, they work properly on other computers. Am reasonably sure problem was caused by one of the apps for safety on USB drives, but I thought I checked them all out prior to uninstalling them. I am wondering if formatting the computer and reinstalling Windows will do it? Thank you.

I found this reg fix, and it works great. Am posting it if others need it:
Re: Problem with USB flash drive-"Write Protected"
There is a simple solution for thisin the case of windows.
Just do a "regedit" for StorageDevicePolicies key. . Get
into the Registry - Press Start ->Run, enter regedit, press Ok
Click on My Computer. Then press File Export, give some file
name to backup the registry. Just in caseyou ever need to rollback.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/StorageDevicePolicies .
In the right pane select "writeprotect" . RESET the value to '0' Repeat
the same for ControlSet001 and ControlSet002 incase they exist. Now plug
in your USB drives and it should work. Else just reboot the machine and try.

Nice post tosim,
but is a person isn't familiar with editing the registry, this is a risky task

I'm having a similar issue with an external HD, however I'm using Vista and "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/StorageDevicePolicies" doesn't exist in the registry. Do you know if there is a Vista equivalent?

Tmagic650-Thank you. I realize most people not familiar with registry. That is why the first thinh I've listed is a BU of registry. Also, I tried to make this fix very clear and concise, just so they do not mess up. Of course, they can always print the fix, and let a "nerd" do it for them.
Hypnosan-Sorry, I can't help you out on Vista. But, if youy get a reply that works, please let me know.

tosim said:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/StorageDevicePolicies
Hum; My XP/Pro SP2 does not have this key either, although it looks like a Policy item.

It may well be one of those delightful items that are not present as a default but can be added post-install.

Perchance did you run some security tweak from a download? Please post a reference :)

Tmagic650 -Actually, I found it posted on another tech forum, from England. Please note my first line, "I found this reg fix, and it works great. Am posting it if others need it:"
jobeard-I am running XP Pro on several machines, and they ll have that key. Perhaps you should try again.

My XP, SP2 and SP3 machines don't have the key either. It may be in XP pre SP2 or 3... who knows

I reiterate, I have XP/Pro SP2 with all updates and ControlSet/Control/StorageDevicePolicies does not exist

may i say somthing? my usb flash drive has a switch on the side of it =)
maybe its just that? ehh?

Anybody have any suggestions on fixing a similar write protect issue on my external HD? I have a separate thread on it here if you need more info.

I'm having the same issue with being unable to find the StorageDevicePolicies folder in the registry. Is it named something else perhaps?

I've tried all other methods on multiple help sites to recover my USB drive and everything has failed, including all different methods of formatting (command prompt, disk management, the drive itself). Nothing works because it is inevitably write-protected. Is there any hope for this drive? I can copy the items from the drive to preserve the data, but I really need the transfer capabilities of the drive for a web class, and I don't want to waste the money on a new one if this one can be fixed.

If it helps, the drive is 1GB PNY Attache USB 2.0.

Any helpful responses would be greatly appreciated. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back