Folder/Drive sharing between XP and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

king21092

Well, basically I've been reading around the forums about hooking up vista/xp together for filesharing over the network. So far Ive failed miserably. I've went over all the settings that I know in XP and had to look up the others that I didn't know, including ALL vista settings. I'm just wondering if someone has a link to a site that goes over all the vista/xp settings or if someone is willing to type it all out...

note: did what like 10 different sites on google said to... no avail.
Trying to transfer the WoW folder (19.5GB, can't redownload all of that, would take like 15 years on 160KB down) from my wired XP desktop to my wireless Vista laptop.

All firewalls OFF, ports are wide open, file sharing enabled on each... there's a lot more. I'm sure I'm missing a setting somewhere, but I can't find it.

So epically confused.

Start with the basics. What are the IP addresses of each machine and can you ping each other?
Try pinging using the IP address and then try pining using the machine name
If you can ping each other try the mapping the network drive though the net use command computer name of the pc with the shared folder i.e. net use \\computer\sharefolder X:
If prompted for a user name and password there is a permissions issue. Set the permissions on the shared folder to everyone and full access. I would do this on the XP machine.

Also check the hosts file for bad entries, something may be blocked

If all you want to do is transfer a file or folder there is always the sneakernet method. But I understand the desire to make it work. So try the above and reply back and we'll take it from there.

Are you able to see XP's shared folders in Vista? I was having the same problem. With Vista you have to go into each folder that you want to share and manually share it. You cant share entire drives. The option says that the drive is shared but it will never show up on the network.

For example, lets say on your C drive you have a folder "Music" that you would like to share. Right click on that folder and go to share. A dialog box will open with sharing options. Set the sharing level to the desired setting and selct apply. Presto the folder is now shared.

Another thing is make sure on Vista that you have, in the network and sharing center, that network discovery, and file sharing are on and password protected sharing is disabled.

Hope that helps you out. Let me know if you have an questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back