Ford has been granted a patent for intelligent, autonomous police cars

Polycount

Staff

Autonomous car technology has rapidly advanced in recent years. Companies like Waymo, Uber and Apple have all been working on their own versions of this tech but they've mostly been centered around civilian or taxi use.

That said, it seems Ford might be interested in bringing the world of self-driving cars to the US police force. As reported by CNET, Ford was recently granted a patent that describes a fully autonomous police car.

A self-driving police car isn't a particularly innovative idea by itself but what could make Ford's patented idea stand out is its ability to function entirely without a driver.

As the patent's renderings highlight, the autonomous police car could identify a vehicle violating a given traffic law and "establish wireless communication" with its driver. After verifying their identity, the vehicle will then be able to issue either a warning or a ticket, presumably depending on the severity of the violation.

As interesting (and terrifying) as this tech sounds, filing for or even being granted a patent doesn't guarantee that a company will actually use it down the line. In many cases, it's simply a way to protect an idea from being used by a competitor.

Furthermore, even if Ford did intend to use this patent, the sort of tech it references would involve both advanced self-driving vehicle technology and artificial intelligence. As neither have been deemed fully capable of replacing humans just yet, don't expect to see a fleet of robot cars cruising around town anytime soon.

Permalink to story.

Not entirely the same thing, but they have tried red-light cameras in many places, and have also gotten rid of them. I would not be surprised if this either never comes to market, or if it does, they eventually cease using them because of bogus tickets.

So, this is the real life "Robocop" sequel, then?

Cranky's fireside chats. Once upon a time kidz, Ford made lousy cars. One glaring example, was any of their cars with the early 292 CI V-8. They developed a huge amount of slop in the rear main bearings. This in turn caused the rear main's bearing seal to fail, should you do something as adventurous as a sudden down shift.

This precipitated the Ford name to be taken in vain as an acronym, "Fix, Or, Repair, Daily". I'll bet old Henry rolled over in his final garage upon hearing that!

And don't get me started about the "Edsel". (Who in god's name has the lack of consideration, rudeness, and audacity, to name one of their children "Edsel" anyway).

ford-edsel.jpg

As the patent's renderings highlight, the autonomous police car could identify a vehicle violating a given traffic law and "establish wireless communication" with its driver. After verifying their identity, the vehicle will then be able to issue either a warning or a ticket, presumably depending on the severity of the violation.
Society is shifting towards autonomous driving. So therefor the Autonomous Cop Car would then be writing a citation for another Autonomous Car in violation of what exactly? And since there will be no manual controls, how would the passengers be liable?

Society is shifting towards autonomous driving. So therefor the Autonomous Cop Car would then be writing a citation for another Autonomous Car in violation of what exactly? And since there will be no manual controls, how would the passengers be liable?

All was foretold in Demolition Man (1993).

Will there be a ram mode?

BTW where I come from some have a saying: don't buy the F letter cars. It also stands for French;)

Not entirely the same thing, but they have tried red-light cameras in many places, and have also gotten rid of them. I would not be surprised if this either never comes to market, or if it does, they eventually cease using them because of bogus tickets.
My fine police force not only currently uses red light camera's, but 'speed on green' and since I don't currently drive I'm not sure what else. These ticket generators seem to find no problems with their validity.

My fine police force not only currently uses red light camera's, but 'speed on green' and since I don't currently drive I'm not sure what else. These ticket generators seem to find no problems with their validity.
We had red light cameras in our area, but they were found to have been put up in areas where they "inadvertently" targeted low income people, so they removed them all.

That said, in some areas RLCs have been proven to cause more accidents because people will hard stop instead of running the red light.

Where ever you are, I would not be surprised if the RLCs are removed at some point for some similar reason.

I have not heard of "speed on green" before this. But they sound evil, too!

In our area, they have switched most four-lane roads to two lane and put in bike lanes that seem to not get much use. They also seem to have some traffic lights that turn regularly when they rarely turned before in what seems like an effort to control traffic on the four-now-two lane highways. As I see it, these traffic lights simply make people waste more gas.

W...[ ].... In our area, they have switched most four-lane roads to two lane and put in bike lanes that seem to not get much use. They also seem to have some traffic lights that turn regularly when they rarely turned before in what seems like an effort to control traffic on the four-now-two lane highways. As I see it, these traffic lights simply make people waste more gas.
No, it's because some Peter Principle incompetents, were able to convince even dumber politicians, that they needed their "expertise" as "highway planners". Of course in the meantime, these "highway planners" were able to "suck up" huge quantities of taxpayer money, while they "f***ed up those same taxpayer's use of the roads they, "improved".

The message is clear, a handful of bicyclists are dictating how the highway system is to be run for their benefit.

My message to cyclists is this; buy a car, or, call Uber, but best of all, watch where you're going. When was the last time any of you got a traffic ticket for all the illegal stunts you pull out on the street?

Wrong movie. Robocop walked on two legs, and didn't have four wheels.

There was a movie with a robot police car in it, though. Surely you haven't forgotten Heartbeeps? So instead of Robocop, it is the Crimemaster Deluxe that seems to be becoming a reality.

Wrong movie. Robocop walked on two legs, and didn't have four wheels.

There was a movie with a robot police car in it, though. Surely you haven't forgotten Heartbeeps? So instead of Robocop, it is the Crimemaster Deluxe that seems to be becoming a reality.
Yeah OK well, "Heartbeeps", was that one of those less than one star stinkers that Redbox commissions to fleece their customers?

Moving on, granted I did make a leap to assume, a robot car would have a robot policeman, since the car wouldn't be able to drive down a small alley, or climb 10 flights of stairs.

Well, with only a robot car, a policeman would be able to concentrate on surveying high crime areas, without keeping one eye on the road.

Moving even further along, I predict that robotic police cars would need to be programmed to avoid Dunkin Donuts.

The criminals sensing this, would immediately take to selling their wares, (crack and Fentanyl laced heroin), from donut shops far and wide, bagging up the product in counterfeit "Sweet and Low" envelopes! Nostrovia!

Police car could be able to recognize violations and issue a ticket or warning because it is possible to program these functions. However, we will not have fifth class SDV if professionals will continue to develop them as a kind of programmable devices.
Only artificial subjective systems could be the base for developing artificial devices with human-like or higher level of intellect. Only subjective devices could function in the real World without any needs in programming.
Even better, these devices, preferably anthropomorphic robots, will be able to operate any vehicle, obtain driving permits and so on, and work autonomously.
artificiallabor@artificiallabor.co
Regards,
Mike

At the end of the day, this is all rather stupid. When the technology for autonomous vehicles has matured to the point where they are in the majority, they'll tentatively be programmed to not be able to commit traffic violations in the first place.

Human police officers,(if any still exist) will be assigned to the sidewalks, where they can issue a relentless stream of summonses, for such high crimes and misdemeanors as, smoking in public, spitting on the sidewalk, littering, and the most loathsome crime against humanity of all, public urination! :eek: :mad:

Last edited:
Capt Cranky - I find it so impressive you have intimate knowledge about products in the current 2018 auto industry...Main bearings in an Edsel - very relevant...you are mostly talking to folks that just don't care.

Seems like an awfully complicated process when the writing is already on the wall for what will happen...and you can bet money on this: Autonomous cop cars or other monitoring structures will wireless tap into the offending car and take over control, pull it over, and disable it till a real cop arrives.

Autonomous cop cars or other monitoring structures will wireless tap into the offending car and take over control, pull it over, and disable it till a real cop arrives.
If that will be the case, I see no reason why the system couldn't autonomously drive the offending party to the authorities. That is assuming there is no need for crime scene investigation and the recorded evidence is all that is needed for prosecution. In fact I could see the detour as part of the penalty for being pulled over, as well as saving the authorities travel time.

Capt Cranky - I find it so impressive you have intimate knowledge about products in the current 2018 auto industry...Main bearings in an Edsel - very relevant...you are mostly talking to folks that just don't care.
Actually some people did seem to think my post was, if nothing else, a bit humorous.
I'm only here for he laughs, if I have to endure the slings and arrows of people such as yourself, whose opinion and input matters not one iota to me, so be it.

In simpler terms, "I don't care that you don't care". And BTW, please don't come blasting in here with a half dozen posts under your belt, presuming to speak for a host of members.

"666" huh? Izz yo da deevil? I skeered...(y)

Last edited:
Back