Ford's BlueCruise gets the green light for hands-free vehicles on British motorways

Jimmy2x

Staff
Forward-looking: Drivers can now use Ford's hands-free driver assistance system, BlueCruise, on select roads in the United Kingdom. It is the first Level 2 driver assistance to receive approval for use in the UK and Europe. However, BlueCruise is not available on all Ford vehicles and is only allowed on specific stretches of road.

Ford announced that a new ruling by the UK's Department of Transportation allows drivers to experience Ford's BlueCruise driver assistance technology on more than 3,200 kilometers (2,000 miles) of pre-mapped roads in England, Scotland, and Wales. Ford's 2023 Mustang Mach-E will be the first vehicle to receive access to the subscription-based feature. The semi-autonomous driver assistance technology has logged more than 102 million kilometers (64 million miles) across the United States and Canada.

Initially introduced in 2021, Ford designed BlueCruise (also known as ActiveGlide in some Lincoln vehicles) as a hands-off, eyes-on technology designed to assist, but not replace, the vehicle operator. The system can monitor and analyze speed limit signs, road markings, and even current traffic conditions to continuously monitor and control steering, acceleration, braking, lane position, and following distance, making BlueCruise a Level 2 autonomous driving technology.

The system includes a driver-facing camera to monitor and ensure that the vehicle's operator is alert and paying attention to road conditions before engaging the assistance system. Once enabled, the system will operate up to a maximum speed of 80 mph (130 km/h) using onboard radars and cameras to monitor surrounding vehicle positions while using a forward-facing camera to detect lane markings and speed signs. BlueCruise uses these data points to calculate required driving inputs while ensuring safe vehicle operation.

Also Read: The State of Self-Driving Cars in 2023

Driver attention is constantly monitored and enforced by the BlueCruise system. If the internal driver-facing camera detects inattention, the system issues audible alerts and warning messages on the vehicle's instrument cluster. If the driver remains unfocused after these alerts are issued, the car will automatically begin braking to slow down and eventually stop. It performs similar actions if the driver fails to place their hands back on the steering wheel when prompted by the system.

Drivers in the UK can only use BlueCruise in identified "Blue Zones"--pre-defined roadways where drivers can safely remove their hands from the wheel. Ford UK's BlueCruise page notes that the DoT has marked 95 percent of the country's motorways as Blue Zones.

While the new technology sounds great, it does come at a price. New owners of eligible Ford vehicles will receive free access to the BlueCruise system for the first 90 days following their vehicle purchase. At the end of that period, owners can sign up for a monthly subscription. According to Ford, the ongoing cost to UK subscribers is currently listed at £17.99 (a little over $22 US) monthly.

Permalink to story.

As a current user of BlueCruise, I can easily say that their system sucks and creates a very annoying and confusing system. Because of the eye system, which monitors you even if you are not enabling BlueCruise, it is way to sensitive. It has on many occasions provided it’s annoying warnings when I’m looking at the center screen looking at Navigation or operating CarPlay features. It sometime struggles to realize I’m paying attention to the road. One day, the toll road will be BlueCruise enabled, the next day, it won’t offer that option to me. It deactivated at every single toll charging location, even though you drive through it without changing speeds or lanes. And, if you do basic cruise control, it still watches your eyes and warns you and will start stomping the brake to get you to pay attention. Everyone that rides with me when showing them the ‘feature’ complains how annoying the warnings are. I’m getting rid of the F150 and will be buying another F150 without the cameras and BlueCruise.

Ps. And they expect you to pay a monthly subscription for the crap.

WTF? They make you pay for the need to be monitored by their cameras to follow the computer controls?!
I wouldn't even want it free of charge. What is the purpose of this thing if you have to be constantly alert to its actions, which means it can not be trusted?

Electric vehicles and autonomous driving are stupid concepts. However when you need to have new content on your OnlyFans page, need I say more.
I do find it amazing how people think it's fine to be texting, chatting, finger blasting the passengers, without it increasing the risk of death, because these people are wrong.

As a current user of BlueCruise, I can easily say that their system sucks and creates a very annoying and confusing system. Because of the eye system, which monitors you even if you are not enabling BlueCruise, it is way to sensitive. It has on many occasions provided it’s annoying warnings when I’m looking at the center screen looking at Navigation or operating CarPlay features. It sometime struggles to realize I’m paying attention to the road. One day, the toll road will be BlueCruise enabled, the next day, it won’t offer that option to me. It deactivated at every single toll charging location, even though you drive through it without changing speeds or lanes. And, if you do basic cruise control, it still watches your eyes and warns you and will start stomping the brake to get you to pay attention. Everyone that rides with me when showing them the ‘feature’ complains how annoying the warnings are. I’m getting rid of the F150 and will be buying another F150 without the cameras and BlueCruise.

Ps. And they expect you to pay a monthly subscription for the crap.

Thanks Sean...I was curious how good/bad the internwl monitoring system was while putting this together, sounds like not so great!

I'm surprised ANYONE would pay to use the service they just purchased but the car industry will soon learn the lesson the software industry learned that end users don't like and won't maintain subscriptions .... a rip off is still a rip off no matter who's selling it .....

How is it allowed to operate at speeds in excess of the national speed limit, I.e. 70 MPH here in the UK. Surely this should be locked by GPS even if it can't detect the speed limit. (Not applicable on Isle of Man obv.)

Still think in small countries with high populations - driving down highways will become old fashioned.
Private cars will become more highly taxed - as autonomous solutions come for towns - so less people will need cars - you really just need a "drive on" get zipped along solutions for main arterials - if you need Your car at other end .
Less dense places will still need more cars

Rental will also make sense if cars need endless upgrade , bios , software updates - then again if scooters litter the walkways - wonder how lightweight autonomous around town cars will be waiting -

Back