Formatting a hp storageworks ultrium 448

Darrenbilly

Good morning,

I have been tasked with disposing of a hp storageworks ultrium 448 tape drive. It's a hefty thing! Before I can do this, I need to format it. Can anyone here kindly suggest the easiest/most cost effective way of doing this?

Thank You in advance for any help/suggestions

If you are disposing of the drive itself, just toss it, there isn't data on the drive only the tapes that it backed data up to at one time. info on the drive can be found here: http://goo.gl/PsVaUR

Simplest & easiest way to destroy the old tapes is the do just that. Physically destroy them! Take a drill bit and literally drill through the tape 4-5 times. You can crush them with a hydraulic press, drive over them with a car, etc. I think you get the idea.

If you absolutely have to "format" them, you will need to find a PC or server that has proper SAS/SCSI card in it to connect the tape drive. Then you will need proper software to "see" the drive & the inserted tape, then you will have to find a program that will destroy the data on the tape, b/c just a format doesn't necessarily destroy the data.

Again, get a nice cordless drill & a 3/8" sharp bit and have at it!!

Post back, Hope this helps!!

Back