Fortnite Season 4 is live, complete with new Battle Pass

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Season 4 of Fortnite has arrived and the long-running mystery of the comet is finally revealing itself.

Fortnite’s v4.0 patch features a boatload of changes but it all starts with the comet which has been slamming into the map and altering the landscape. Several locations have been transformed by the impact including Dusty Depot (now known as Dusty Divot). Visit the main impact crater and you’ll discover Hop Rocks, a new gravity-defying item that allows you to jump higher for a limited time.

Epic’s patch notes also reveal that the crossbow has been removed from the game. Furthermore, you’ll find numerous gameplay changes such as the ability to destroy structures on the starting island (well, not the Battle Bus), slightly reduced hitbox sizes for players’ hands and support for the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Be sure to check out Epic’s changelog as this barely scratches the surface of new features and bug fixes introduced.

There’s also the Superhero-themed Season 4 Battle Pass which starts at 950 V-Bucks, Epic’s in-game currency (equivalent to roughly $10). The Battle Pass offers 100 tiers of rewards including various cosmetic items, emotes and sprays. Most of it can be unlocked by leveling up and completing challenges although if you want, you can shell out additional money and fast-track your way to the goodies.

By all indications, it looks like Epic has yet another solid update on its hands that’ll keep gamers coming back for more.

Permalink to story.

I finally figured out why Fortnite isn't as good as PUBG - at least for me - and never will be. It's not just the cartoony graphics or the simplistic weapons (No ADS except for very few weapons, what?? SMH)...it's the fact that one of the most enjoyable aspects of PUBG and many other more reaslistic, more strategic shooters out there is the positioning and use of clever flanking and stealth to get kills and beat your opponents.

Fortnite lacks ANY real concealment and makes cover nearly useless in some ways. Concealment being grass, scrub, weeds, thicker bushes (though Fortnite has some)...and it's an important aspect of games like this. The cover is mitigated by letting people blow up most of it in the game. And the building ability in the game, while admittedly unique, also basically makes it useless to worry about positioning, flanking, stealth, etc...because you can just whip together some sort of fort.

So one of the key strategy points of a shooter is flat-out diluted into unimportance and that's not good, though it may be for people with ADD who wanted a Quake-style game, I suppose.

Then you have the aspect whereby people are being successful because they've managed to hotkey/build faster than other people and that's the same reason that RTSs sucked. People winning because they can manipulte a build order or build system faster...yet it's supposed to be a shooter. SMH

I'd also ding it for being too short and too fast. I like the time investment that PUBG requires, as it feels more like a longer story or adventure. Fortnite feels like someone injected themselves with crack and ran around for a bit and then bam, you're doing it all over again. One of the amazing things about PUBG is the world itself, exploring, noticing different locations and the bigger island and longer play-time lend itself well to that facet.

But that being said, I can see why it appeals to the younger players, "Oooh..pretty cartoon colors and costumes! I can jump around! I can blow up everything! I don't have to be tactical, really, yay! I can win by out-building people!" But for me, and I suspect quite a few others, it just doesn't cut it.

Sorry Epic, it's not me. It's you.

However, I have enjoyed the Save the World mode, I.e. the original mode of Fortnite.

Bear in mind, each to their own. Try not to let my thoughts on why Fortnite < PUBG be upsetting or trigger you, it's just that I finally realized what it was that failed for me in Fortnite.

Last edited:
Back