Forza 7 VIP system falling back to previous version due to fan outrage

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

In Forza Motorsports 6, buying the VIP Pass entitled players to a permanent boost that doubled purse winnings. When Forza 7 launched, many who purchased the game sprang for the extra $40 to pick up the Ultimate Edition, which includes a VIP membership and additional perks. Other’s just opted for the $20 VIP Pass.

Those players were surprised and upset to find that their privileges were now limited. Instead of the usual permanent CR (the in-game currency) boost, they received five 100-percent CR bonus Mod cards. Each card could be used five times to boost race winnings for a total of 25 times. To continue the perk players would have to purchase additional cards.

What angered players the most is that this change to the VIP Pass went utterly unannounced, even on its product page. When early players began speaking out about it, Microsoft quietly changed the description in the Windows Store to reflect the new system.

Microsoft and developer Turn 10 immediately felt the backlash when the store rating for the VIP Pass plummeted to a dismal 1.3 (545 one-star reviews to 34 five-star ratings as of this writing). This strong public outcry caused the devs to spin a 180.

In a post on the Forza Motorsports website, Turn 10 Studio Head Alan Hartman apologized and announced that the VIP system would revert to the way it used to be.

“Over the weekend we heard loud and clear from Ultimate Edition owners expressing frustration over the VIP membership offer in Forza Motorsport 7. We immediately updated the VIP description in the Windows Store to alleviate any future confusion. As head of the studio, I apologize for any confusion or frustration our players may have experienced … Secondly, and even more significantly, we will be changing VIP rewards in Forza Motorsport 7. This new system will work like it did in Forza Motorsport 6, offering a 2X base credit bonus after every race. We’ve already started work on this feature and we will release it as soon as possible. Look for more information on this update as we near the release date.”

Turn 10 will also be sending VIP members four additional cars and one million CR. Hartman did not indicate how soon the VIP pass system would be changed. He just mentioned that they are already working on it and will release a patch “as soon as possible.”

Some players have already changed their one-star reviews, but others are holding a grudge saying that Microsoft broke their trust with its sneaky behavior. Whether the Forza 7 VIP Pass can dig itself out of the rating hole remains to be seen, but there can be little doubt that even those who have not changed their review are still enjoying those new cars and the million credits.

Permalink to story.

I'm pleased there was an outcry by the players instead of just meekly accepting their fate. At least some of them have enough backbone to challenge and question the mighty. Both of these companies make more than enough money without having to resort to such unscrupulous tactics. This is just unadulterated greed in it's purest form. It's hard to imagine a company like M$ would reach into the depths of depravity for such a minuscule profit gain. It makes me wonder what else they're getting away with by using similar tactics. There's simply no honour among thieves. Now they've publicly embarrassed themselves and it'll cost them more money than they thought they'd make. I'm glad.

When I read the line that some said Microsoft broke their trust with their sneaky behaviour in this game I almost choked. How by this point anyone has any trust in Microsoft as a company is beyond me. It's pretty much use their stuff, abandon it and be stuck with Apple or turn Amish.

I'm glad that backlash from angry gamers actually paid off this time. Too often do outcries fall on deaf ears when it comes to things like this. Turn 10 really does listen to its fans and I can definitely appreciate this. I received my cars and my 1mil credits last night when I logged on. After this, they need to work on some of the bugs in the PC version though. I haven't experienced anything huge, but there are a few annoyances.

I'm glad that backlash from angry gamers actually paid off this time. Too often do outcries fall on deaf ears when it comes to things like this. Turn 10 really does listen to its fans and I can definitely appreciate this. I received my cars and my 1mil credits last night when I logged on. After this, they need to work on some of the bugs in the PC version though. I haven't experienced anything huge, but there are a few annoyances.
I'm pleased you've been sorted out. Such practices you can expect from some inconspicuous sources but M$ & Turn 10... Hoping no one would notice? Trying to turn another easy buck despite the fact that the words "Microsoft" and "financially struggling" cannot be used in the same sentence. Despicable.

Love the ratings system. Brings "The Man" to his knees when it needs to be done! I just wish someone would set this "Ratings" system for the Health and Auto Insurance companies!

And why I will not buy Forza 7. Online competition with pay to win options. Pay to speed up in-game progress. What to keep Devs from slowing progress more and more to make these purchases look more and more reasonable? Then become a requirement to get anywhere, then at that point, why is not part of the game to start with? Gets to the point that it is like buying a car without breaks.

I will not pay full price for an incomplete, disadvantageous, version of a game.

Back