Forza Horizon 4 frequently gets stuck in an endless download loop

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Facepalm: Forza Horizon 4 finally landed on Tuesday, but was it worth the wait and the long download? Not for some apparently. An annoying bug returns to frustrate users downloading the game.

The Windows Store is known for its buggy nature, especially when it comes to huge downloads. Weighing in at over 63GB, Forza Horizon 4 is the biggest release on the store this year.

Players have been complaining in the Forza forums about the game downloading “infinitely.” For some, the download continued well past the 63.27GB — even as high as 80GB. The bug is reportedly not new. A similar issue arose with Forza 7 and Gears of War 4 downloads.

Fortunately, some workarounds might work to get your purchase running.

The easiest possible fix could be to just pause the download. TechSpot staff have had success getting the game to install by simply clicking pause (or the X). The progress suddenly shows 100 percent and the game is ready to play.

If that doesn’t work, VG24/7 reported that when it had the same problem with Forza 7, using a third-party download manager alleviated the headache. It did not specify which manager it used, so try give our Free Download Manager a try.

A third possible fix is a little more complicated, so should probably only be used as a last resort. A user on the Forza forum, HarryGreen96 says to do the following:

Open services.msc
Stop Windows Update service
Find SoftwareDistribution folder
Rename to SoftwareDistributionOLD
Restart Windows Update service

The download progress should go down to 0 then quickly go back up to about 35GB, after which the game should install.

If none of these solutions work for you, it appears you’ll have to complain with the rest of the folks until Microsoft can get it fixed. Microsoft staff has already admitted that it is a known bug, so they are likely already trying to figure out a remedy.

In the meantime, the staffer says you can also try resetting the store cache. Open windows start menu and type in 'wsreset' run it and wait until Microsoft store opens. However, this will require starting the download again from scratch.

Permalink to story.

Mine downloaded without any issues. The game is fantastic and I'm actually thinking about getting a steering wheel now...

Nothing like a great racing game.
This one looks good, I still play Forza 2 on my 360 here and there, just never dove in all the way.

How is something so simple like a digital content delivery platform still a challenge in 2018? Hasn't this been solved last decade?

Game downloaded fine for me, and I've never had any challenges with the Windows Store myself, apart from some slow download speeds

How is something so simple like a digital content delivery platform still a challenge in 2018? Hasn't this been solved last decade?
It's the constant battle with the pirates. DRM changes constantly to try and keep ahead of those who want the game for nothing. Of course the whole pirate issue is a bit bogus but Microsoft and other publishers won't accept that.

Oh, and I should add that I had no issues and I'm loving racing around a mini version of Great Britain.

Game downloaded fine for me, and I've never had any challenges with the Windows Store myself, apart from some slow download speeds
This is the same microsoft that deleted user files with a simple system update. They are about as competent as the junior level script kiddies they hire.

Back