Found: What would happen if you stopped sleeping indefinitely?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sleep. We spend a third of our lives asleep but did you know that scientists still really have no idea why? Studies have shown that adults that sleep between six to eight hours per night typically live longer. Yet at the same time, excessive sleep has been linked to cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Coders, designers, and many other jobs related to IT or startup life are associated with sleepless nights when involved in a groundbreaking project.

So what happens on the opposite end of the spectrum – sleep deprivation? That very topic is explored in this AsapSCIENCE clip from YouTube. Turns out, short-term effects can actually be rather positive while long-term effects might not be what you would have guessed.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

I have only slept 4 hrs a night for the last few nights, I am tired n wired. I am going to try and go back to sleep for a bit but chances are slim.
I have not seen the video, but when I have been sleep deprived for a few days, I feel more creative. I seem to be able to make tunes and lyrics up easier. And I think they are good / decent. But then maybe I am sleepy and mad.
In the song Interlude with ludes by Them crooked vultures he says "sleep deprivation will make you a million" and altho I am sure I have taken its meaning the wrong way, everytime I hear it, I think hes mentioning how creative you can be in that state. And I am sure hes pretty loaded now ol' Josh Homme.
My pointless sleep deprived 2 cents there.
Wheres my pillow ?

Lack of sleep can slow down an overactive mind and, ironically, make it more productive by allowing one to focus easier. But its not something you can keep doing for more than 1-2 nights in a row - you'll pay for it physically and mentally.

I happen to be a lead software engineer by chance. And I do have many sleepless nights. But I also have twin newborns. Still I've been known to go 3, even 4 days without much if any sleep. Once you get over that hump, it's gravy. However, my meds also tend to help with that (all Rx). I WISH I could get a full night's sleep, but honestly it's been about 6 years since I've been able to do that. I forget what a good night's sleep feels like. On an average night, I get 5-6 if I'm super-lucky. Also pushing 40 so... Maybe that's how my Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis came about? (god knows that the Doctors don't have any clue to anything related to MS, as much as they'd like to argue the opposite. I'm convinced after 16 years with it, to the Mayo, Cleveland clinics, etc. they are entirely clueless with progressive MS.)

Anyhow, as far as functional, I do fine with a few hours every few days. I'd love more but life (and Rx's) doesn't allow it. Could most people? No idea, I'm not most people...

I sleep 8 hours on week days and 12 hours on weekends. Am I getting too much sleep on my weekends?

Back