Founder Jimmy Wales believes generative AI could help improve Wikipedia

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
In context: Wikipedia is the internet's most popular encyclopedia, a collaborative effort featuring over 58 million articles written in more than 300 languages. This trove of free digital knowledge is currently put together by human editors and writers with no "AI" in sight. Things could change pretty soon, though.

ChatGPT-like chatbots and other "intelligent" algorithms could one day write entire Wikipedia articles, even though that future is still far away. Jimmy "Jimbo" Wales, founder of the collaborative encyclopedia and the Wikimedia non-profit organization, tackled the AI problem in a recently published interview, stating that machine learning-based chatbots are a promising technology that could help vastly improve Wikipedia.

As things are today, ChatGPT and other over-hyped AI algorithms are probing the whole internet to create a massive database of text snippets to statistically answer people's prompts. A non-trivial part of the database comes from Wikipedia, one of the most quoted online sources. There could be a role reversal where the AI will write most of the information on the platform in the future.

Wales thinks that future is still in the distance, without a guess "how far away we are." We're certainly closer than he would have thought just a couple of years ago, Wales said, even though his tests have highlighted the many flaws still affecting the chatbot business.

Wales is particularly worried about the hallucination problem, which he appropriately calls "lying." The AI tends to fabricate "facts," which is not appropriate for Wikipedia. ChatGPT can provide false or made-up information, kill people beforehand, or answer prompts with contradicting facts, all with absolute confidence. Wales provided an example of a conversation he had with the bot about the Empire State Building.

"I asked ChatGPT, did an airplane crash into the empire state building? And it said no, an airplane did not crash into the empire state building. But then it went on to say there is a famous building in New York, and one of the most famous things that happened is when a B25 bomber crashed into the Empire State Building. I said, is a B25 bomber a type of airplane? It said says [yes]—so I said you were wrong when you said a plane didn't crash into it. And it said, you're right. I apologize for my error."

While complete AI authorship is still out of the question, Wales said, Wikipedia is already discussing other ways the chatbot algorithms could help improve the encyclopedia in the coming months (and years). Wales is thinking about intriguing opportunities for an AI trained "on the right corpus of things," like checking two Wikipedia entries to see if there are statements that contradict each other.

Human editors could detect those contradictions, but the AI would automate the entire process, potentially finding hundreds of examples and greatly helping the Wikipedia community. Another well-known issue is AI bias, which results from unbalanced algorithm training. Wikipedia continually struggles with this issue. Critics have often charged Wikipedia with having a male-centric and white-centric perspective on world events. A biased AI wouldn't help address that problem.

However, a properly trained AI could spot information gaps that haven't been covered yet, providing new ideas and content. Wales estimates that if the AI could triple the number of Wikipedia entries, the encyclopedia's operating costs would only increase by around $1,250 annually.

Permalink to story.

Generative AI is the demise of Wikipedia. It's because if an AI can compile everything there's to know about virtually everything and elaborate on every detail when requested, then there's no need for an online encyclopedia that stores that knowledge in a bunch of essentially static pages.

Before writing and editing Wikipedia, chatbots must stop "lying"

So should activist Wiki editors who all massive leftist water carriers.
What? Can you please write that in proper English, so the rest of us who are not Yanks can understand?

Science fiction usually stated that AI were incapable of lying. Man were they so very wrong about that.
(and yes, I know it's not real-real AI).
In all the SF books that I've read, the AI, in all their forms, did a lot of lying, deceiving and manipulation.

The chatbots have been known to lie and the majority of wiki editors are communist.

communists? LOL! I would say the opposite.

what is true is that for some time Wikipedia has been turning into a latrine. starting with the circular jerk offs that are the so-called "reputable sources", and how the "wikipedians" have been blocking those that are not convenient for their biases. It is the repetition of some "facts" that already have huge biases or are blatant lies due to their "sources".

The so-called "editors" are fascists, who apply their bias to the maximum, and many have interests behind them.

Much is about sneaking falsehoods between the truths, or half-truths or silencing one of the parties.

That is why I do not look at any article that may have the slightest glimpse of any ideological point. it is almost 100% certain that it is contaminated.

It was already like this for years, the last two or three have been the worst, and the last year has been the extreme.

communists? LOL! I would say the opposite.

what is true is that for some time Wikipedia has been turning into a latrine. starting with the circular jerk offs that are the so-called "reputable sources", and how the "wikipedians" have been blocking those that are not convenient for their biases. It is the repetition of some "facts" that already have huge biases or are blatant lies due to their "sources".

The so-called "editors" are fascists, who apply their bias to the maximum, and many have interests behind them.

Much is about sneaking falsehoods between the truths, or half-truths or silencing one of the parties.

That is why I do not look at any article that may have the slightest glimpse of any ideological point. it is almost 100% certain that it is contaminated.

It was already like this for years, the last two or three have been the worst, and the last year has been the extreme.
Read up on the Bolsheviks.

Lying is a sign of intelligence in young kids and animals
In this case the chatbots are lying not because they are suddenly starting to develop intelligence (that's SF or religious zealotry) but because they have been programmed to lie when asked certain questions that are usually political or socially "sensitive" for the metrosexual snowflakes and wokes.

The chatbots have been known to lie and the majority of wiki editors are communist.

I wouldn't mix communists with modern extreme leftists. For things that are nowadays considered "normal" people spreading such propaganda would be imprisoned in USSR. For destroying the society and destabilizing the country.

Back