Founders Edition GTX 1180 reportedly set to launch in July

midian182

Staff member

Another day, another GTX 1180 report. This time it’s related to the next generation card’s release date. According to Tom’s Hardware, Nvidia is set to launch the Founders Edition of the upcoming GPU in July, which matches previous rumors. That means we don't have long to wait before getting our hands on it.

The news comes from industry sources who spoke with Tom's Hardware Germany's Igor Wallossek on condition of anonymity. In addition to the FE cards’ arrival in a couple of months, they revealed that third-party cards would follow in August or September.

It’s been two years since the arrival of the first GTX 10-series cards, so the successor is due. We’ve already seen several alleged spec leaks for the GTX 1180, but they should really be taken with a pinch of salt. In fact, we still don’t know for certain if it will be called the 1180 or the 2080, though most believe Nvidia will go with the former name; each generation has gone up in increments of 100, after all.

There had also been confusion over whether the new cards would use Volta, Ampere, or Turing architecture, but it seems the chips will be based on the Turing platform. There are still no official details, but rumors say the 1180 will use TSMC’s 12nm FinFET process and have 3584 CUDA cores, 224 texture mapping units, and 64 ROPs. It’s also said to sport “8-16GB” of DDR6 memory and features a TDP of 170 to 200 watts. The GTX 1170, meanwhile, is rumored to come with 2,688 CUDA cores, run at 1.5GHz to 1.8GHz, and also have 8 to 16GB of GDDR6 memory.

Permalink to story.

Up to 16gb VRAM? Crazy. Can whoever does the benchmarking when these go on sale please include a segment on VRAM and bottle-necking? Do any modern games use enough to warrant going above the 8gb version? (If indeed there is more than one version)

There must still be quite a few kinks in getting HBM2 yields to scale efficiently. Looks like the next generation of cards will be GDDR6 going forward except for a few high end workstation cards.

HBM3 was expected in 2020 but with the slow adoption of HBM2 I'm worried there might eventually be a GDDR7 while HBM is priced out of the consumer space and becomes an enterprise-only feature.

Up to 16gb VRAM? Crazy. Can whoever does the benchmarking when these go on sale please include a segment on VRAM and bottle-necking? Do any modern games use enough to warrant going above the 8gb version? (If indeed there is more than one version)
Not at the moment, but keep in mind the same thing was said of the geforce 770 4GB. A few years later, it became much more apparent that the 4GB one did better on newer titles then the 2GB, and today, the 4GB is still usable, whereas the 2GB is EOL. Forza for windows 10 was the best example of the lack of VRAM.

Always buy more then you think you will need, better to buy too much then too little.

So what's the point of being an Nvidia board partner if Nvidia is simply going to steal the first months sales and upcharge with the founders edition each new generation? Nvidia is a hair away from replacing AIBs entirely.

So what's the point of being an Nvidia board partner if Nvidia is simply going to steal the first months sales and upcharge with the founders edition each new generation? Nvidia is a hair away from replacing AIBs entirely.
The alternative is being an AMD board partner, and getting to deal with late silicon, under-performing architectures, inconsistent die height making third party cooler design a nightmare, and of course, a slice of a much smaller sales pie.

Nvidia has been dominating the market for over three years now. Nvidia will continue to do this until AMD bothers to make a competitive GPU.

The alternative is being an AMD board partner, and getting to deal with late silicon, under-performing architectures, inconsistent die height making third party cooler design a nightmare, and of course, a slice of a much smaller sales pie.

Nvidia has been dominating the market for over three years now. Nvidia will continue to do this until AMD bothers to make a competitive GPU.

You do realize there are vendors that do both AMD and Nvidia right? You don't have to choose one or the other.

One can't help to get hyped when you read things like these, only to end up being salty because you don't see yourself buying it when it finally hits the shelves. :D

Even GTA V eats through the 8GB on my GTX1080 when I start trying to push everything to max, and thats a game that already came out 3 years ago for PC.

Newer games are definitely going to require a lot more VRAM in future with all the 4k textures, etc that are being used for some of the games.

Even GTA V eats through the 8GB on my GTX1080 when I start trying to push everything to max, and thats a game that already came out 3 years ago for PC.

Newer games are definitely going to require a lot more VRAM in future with all the 4k textures, etc that are being used for some of the games.
I see! Fair enough then. I guess I don't play enough AAA modern games to notice. I still have headroom to spare in VR games, and I kind of assumed that they'd be fairly monstrous in their requirements.

I see! Fair enough then. I guess I don't play enough AAA modern games to notice. I still have headroom to spare in VR games, and I kind of assumed that they'd be fairly monstrous in their requirements.

I have to admit I was already quite sad when my card didn't have enough VRAM for GTA V and had to tone it down to get a smooth experience. Guess this time I'll wait to see how the GTX1180 TI or whatever they call it performs. Hopefully that will have a huge performance improvement from the normal GTX1080 and a whole lot of VRAM. Might get FFXV to play on that card.

My guess would be that in the next 2 years we will already have some games going over the 16GB threshold.

I have my eyes set in the GTX1170 to replace my GTX 970. There are some games that really require to be played at resolutions higher than 1080p.

Back