Fourth hard drive makes my comptuer not start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desertwolf

Hey everyone, here is my problem
-Previously (a week ago) I had 3 hard drives in my PC and it worked fine
-Last week, I bought a fourth hard drive, put it in, turned on PC and everything worked
-Next Day, turned on PC, it froze at the startup screen for like 4 minutes, then it told me something about S.M.A.R.T failed and press F1 to continue, I did, new hard drive didn't show up (once PC booted)
-Next day I turned on PC, it worked with four hard drives, I then dled Western Digital Hard Drive check and checked the S.M.A.R.T status of the new hard drive and it said it was fine
-I disconnected the new hard drive and this error disappeared
-I reconnected the new hard drive and (and here's the issue) and disconnected any of the OTHER hard drives, and my PC turned on normally (and new hard drive was working fine).

It seems that when I connect the fourth hard drive (regardless of which one it is) I get the problem - now it won't even give me the S.M.A.R.T error, it just won't start up.

Any Suggestions on what I should do?

Here's the full specs as well:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6500
GPU: XFX 8800GT (nvidia)
RAM: 6 Gigs DDR2
Power Supply: HX 520W Corsair
MOBO: P5K-E Asus
Hard Drive 1: Seagate SATA 500gig (forgot model)
Hard Drive 2: Western Digital Western Digital Scorpio Blue 640gigs,
Hard Drive 3: Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB
Hard Drive 4: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB (New one)

Thanks
-Desertwolf

I wouldn't think so with a 520W Corsair PSU, but perhaps you are flirting with the limit of your PSU.

Yup you got it right on, I removed one of my DVD drives (I had two) and now it boots up normal!
Thanks for the help

520W,

The problem has now returned, it seems to go away and come back.. Could it be the hard drive?? I'm honestly stumped. If its my computer, and it simply can't handle 4 drives, then I'll just get an external enclosure, but if its the hard drive, then I need to replace it...

Any more ideas?

This really doesn't make any sense, I also see a pattern, when I first turn on my PC in the morning, it always gives me this problem, eventually PC will turn on (and hard drive wont appear in 'My Computer" folder. After like 30 minutes of PC being on, I restart and the hard drive loads without any problems.. does it need to like heat up or something? I'm just finding this pattern so weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back