Fractal Design halts sales of its new Torrent case, offers fan hub replacement

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Fractal Design's recently released Torrent PC case has been receiving rave reviews, but the company has issued a warning for owners to unplug the included fan hub immediately following reports of a potential short circuit hazard.

The $190 mid-tower Torrent has been praised for its low noise levels, plentiful airflow, and amazing thermal performance, winning awards and high scores from numerous review sites. Unfortunately, Fractal Design says some of the Nexus 9P Slim fan hubs were damaged during the manufacturing process, potentially causing a short circuit.

"We remain committed to the quality of our products, and the Nexus 9P Slim Fan Hub included with the Torrent does not live up to the standards customers expect from us," Fractal Design said in the announcement. "Our development team is working tirelessly to design and manufacture an updated version that will address these issues as soon as possible."

Fractal Design is now asking owners to unplug the fan hub. There are instructions on how to do so here, though it just involves disconnecting any fans, removing three screws, and releasing the zip ties holding the cables. You can fill in this form for a free replacement kit—just make sure to include the serial number, located underneath the case and between the front two feet.

The company has paused sales of the Torrent until an updated fan hub can be included. While the case can still be used without a hub, Fractal says it is working with retail partners to ensure owners who don't want to wait for a replacement can get a refund quickly and easily.

Permalink to story.

As a subscriber of GamersNexus channel on YouTube, I learn a lot more interesting stuff there than I do on TechSpot. It is either a miracle or darn habit that I am still around here.

Last edited:
While I wish they would also recall the Era ITX to at least include taller feet (It's more of a base but you get the idea) to improve thermals a tiny bit, I like the fact that they seemed to be proactive about it and didn't wait for catastrophic failures. This is an otherwise fairly decent case even if I personally *hate* the look of it I wouldn't mind getting a Fractal Design case again (I have a Define Mini C on my previous build) and I could have easily gone with the Era ITX for my current build if it didn't have so many issues with thermals whereas the NR200 while not as good looking, is actually pretty good for what I wanted (Easy-to-build, moderate size itx)

People still use case fan hubs? I’ve been using my motherboard for a decade, it works great. My latest board has temp sensors in the board and can adjust all your fan profiles automatically, it’s smart.

Ya gotta have a new award winner every year or six months or what is the point of awards? AS I have written my Phanteks Ethno Pro can't be beat and it's fan hub was not damaged during manufacture

IMO, being pro-active about something like this is a sign of a reputable company worthy of my business. I used a Define 7 to build a PC for my wife last year, and have to say that it is the best case I have ever used. Having used Antec, Thermaltake, NZXT, and Lian Li cases (among others that I cannot think of now) for previous builds, the Define 7 is the best I've seen. A Fractal Design case will be high on my list for consideration when I make a new build for myself.

Ya gotta have a new award winner every year or six months or what is the point of awards? AS I have written my Phanteks Ethno Pro can't be beat and it's fan hub was not damaged during manufacture
That you have a "defect free" case now does not preclude Phanteks producing a case that has defects in the future. No company is immune to mistakes.

See, THIS is how NZXT/Gigabyt eshould have reacted to issues, rather then try to bury them.
People still use case fan hubs? I’ve been using my motherboard for a decade, it works great. My latest board has temp sensors in the board and can adjust all your fan profiles automatically, it’s smart.
Yes, because not everyone feels like going into the BISO when they want to adjust a fan curve, or they want to adjust their fans by, say, GPU temperature, which most motherboard do not report or allow their attatched fans to be adjusted with.

See, THIS is how NZXT/Gigabyt eshould have reacted to issues, rather then try to bury them.
Yes, because not everyone feels like going into the BISO when they want to adjust a fan curve, or they want to adjust their fans by, say, GPU temperature, which most motherboard do not report or allow their attatched fans to be adjusted with.
Lol, I think it must have been over a decade since I used the bios. Most motherboards come with windows software these days, you can adjust them in windows. I even have profiles. And yes, you can have them ramp up when the GPU is hot. Most motherboards have their own sensors and can detect which fans to speed up. The more you know :).

Lol, I think it must have been over a decade since I used the bios. Most motherboards come with windows software these days, you can adjust them in windows. I even have profiles. And yes, you can have them ramp up when the GPU is hot. Most motherboards have their own sensors and can detect which fans to speed up. The more you know :).
Oh boy more bloatware so I can make my fans go spinny spinny.

Oh boy more bloatware so I can make my fans go spinny spinny.
It’s not “bloatware”. I feel you probably don’t understand what bloatware is.

This is critical system software, motherboard software controls driver updates aswell as sound profiles, connectivity and RGB control.

Ask the person who built your PC for you to explain it to you.

That you have a "defect free" case now does not preclude Phanteks producing a case that has defects in the future. No company is immune to mistakes.
Just like having a good post doesn't preclude you having a bad post :)

Back