(Fractal) PSU Connections to graphics card

stevearno

Hello -

I am trying to connect up a new PSU ( Fractal Design Edison M 750W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply ) .. I am sorry but the instruction manual for the PSU does not tell me anything about connection and what I am about to ask may be NOOB

the PSU is modular ( so has other connections able to connect ) - BUT IT ALSO , has the standard bundle of mesh cables coming out the back of the PSU ie: the 24pin to the mother board, 2x 4 pin to make up a 8pin and a pci-e pigtail cable ..

I have connected the 24pin straight into the motherboard and have used the split 2x 4 pin to connect the CPU 8 pin input on the board ---- is using a split cable acceptable or should I use a dedicated cable from the modular part of the PSU ... on the PSU it does have a input for CPU which I have not connected as the 8pins can be made out of the meshed bundle ( 2x 4pin ) - IS THIS OK ?

my second question is regarding the PCI-E connection - sorry I have no camera - but do have a flip video camera but it's on charge at the moment ( to take a video if needed ) ..so the picture is a stock photo off the web

the PCI-E cable coming off the mesh bundle of cables and named PCI-E looks like this - but the pigtail connector is identical to main part of the cable with a 6pin plus 2pin

S5WLylT.jpg

my graphics card is a powercolor R9 390 and has power connections like this

R9-390X-POWERCOLOR-4.jpg

so my question is and this may sound REALLY NOOB ...but do I connect all connections of the pigtail into the graphics card ...as one section of the pigtail cable will only cater for half the required inputs in the graphics card ?

or do I need to run another cable from the PSU via the modular connection to fill in the other half of the graphics card connection ?

sorry if that is long winded , confusing or NOOBISH ....any help would be gratefully appreciated

regards

steven

What ever connector from the power supply fits in one of the plugs on the video card should be okay

Back