Fraudulent representation > "Windows Outreach Team"

Bobbye

Please note: the person posting as 'Jason of the 'Windows Outreach Team' is a group of several people saying they work with Microsoft and their 'team' is from them. Whenever they are active, you can find numerous Google searches asking them who they are, asking for some kind of site or documentation> they never give it.

There is NO official Windows Outreach Team sanctioned by Microsoft.
There is NO official Internet Explorer Outreach Team sanctioned by Microsoft.

Here are some other fragments about the same group:

What is the 'Internet Explorer Outreach Team'?
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-10152_102-329221.html

> "My name is Jeff and I work with the Windows Outreach Team".

Hello Jeff. I've never heard of this team. Could you provide a URL to the
team's web presence? It would be most helpful.
Hmm ... I see that when challenged there's no disclosure of the team and
what they are mandated to do. I would think that their web site would come
up at the top of a google search. Nada.

So who is this guy? This is a Microsoft forum so shouldn't somebody know
who he is - if indeed he's legit? If not, shouldn't they ban the guy?

a corollary to the above

Fraudsters are using bogus support calls to hijack victims' computers, warns security firm Trusteer.

The fraudsters trick people into downloading software that allows remote access to their computers by claiming to be from Microsoft Windows Solutions. Once connected, the fraudsters claim viruses have been detected on the victim's computer. They then attempt to sell software to clean up the alleged infection.​

the story is at Infosecurity.com

Hello there. My name is Jason and I am part of the Windows Outreach Team. I probably should have formally introduced myself sooner to alleviate potential concerns, but you can learn more about us by reading this Windows Experience blog post.

I am a part of a team tasked with reaching out to users within communities on the web, so while I understand your wariness, we are legitimate. We also run the @Windows Twitter handle, and you’re more than welcome to send questions our way. Thank you.

Excuse me, but those are the credentials for the blog, not the Windows Outreach Team.

I am a part of a team tasked with reaching out to users within communities on the web, so while I understand your wariness, we are legitimate. We also run the @Windows Twitter handle, and you’re more than welcome to send questions our way. Thank you.

The "Windows Twitter" handle:
Get short, timely messages from Expired Account.
Twitter is a rich source of instantly updated information. It's easy to stay updated on an incredibly wide variety of topics. Join today and follow @MSWindows.

* Name Expired Account
* Web http://www.twitte...
* Bio Please follow @Windows for information on all things Windows.

0 Following 377 Followers 3 Listed

This group has previously been active here and on other internet computer forums. While they may dispense credible information, they are not connected to Microsoft as they alluded to previously. There is no 'official' Windows Outreach Team other than what they decided to name their group.

you are right, I stand corrected; Offensive, errant information has been retracted - - sorry.

Hi again. The official, verified Windows Twitter handle switched from @MSWindows to @Windows in late January. Please check out the tweet I just sent out from @Windows. I'm ^JAS, a part of the Microsoft Windows Outreach Team that manages the Twitter account and helps out in blog and forum communities among other things. I hope this clears things up. Thanks for giving me an opportunity to clarify this, and I look forward to discussing all things Windows with the community in the future.

When it began here:https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic124183.html
03-25-2009
Bobbye
Windows Outreach Team is what? From where?

03-27-2009
RonS WIN TEAM's
Hi Bobbye,
We are a Microsoft-endorsed part of the Windows Team (although we aren’t on the tech developer side of things) which helps people with questions or concerns about Windows
The 'group members':
Ron/Windows Outreach Team
Brett M,Windows Outreach Team
Jeff/Windows Outreach Team.
Jason/Windows Outreach Team

And Ron, attempting to find "Is there any way around this? I wish to clear this up as soon as possible. Thanks."
03-31-2009
From Bobbye:
No there is not. Both of us have already looked for the information and are satisfied with what was found. The four of you appear to have invented yourselves in Oct. 2008, calling yourselves the "Windows Team" on an MSDN Blog. Neither of us- or anyone else in the many other forums who asked about the group found ANY indication of your being "Microsoft" anything, nor is any more information available on your 'team' other than hedging the questions!

You are certainly welcome to reply to members who ask questions. So far as I've seen, replies have been polite and SOME links helpful. However, representing yourselves as a "Microsoft Endorsed Outreach Team" implies something that you are not. There is a name for that.

The "us" referred to was kimsland and me who attempted t check out all of the site for his 'references'. There weren't any except for the 'blog' written by someone else and previously mentioned.

To the Fraudulent Windows Outreach Team

I can't find any official Windows Outreach Team document on microsoft.com. I will not trust the blog site and will assume it is fraudulent until proven otherwise. Even so, it doesn't mention Jason or Brett. And why didn't the Windows Outreach Team want to prove themselves publically? I want the Windows Outreach Team to answer the questions or publically apoligize, especially to Microsoft. Windows Outreach Team, I will be very surprised if you can answer these.

Hi again. The official, verified Windows Twitter handle switched from @MSWindows to @Windows in late January. Please check out the tweet I just sent out from @Windows. I'm ^JAS, a part of the Microsoft Windows Outreach Team that manages the Twitter account and helps out in blog and forum communities among other things. I hope this clears things up. Thanks for giving me an opportunity to clarify this, and I look forward to discussing all things Windows with the community in the future.
How does this even matter, what handle you choose to open a "Twitter" account? I'm of the understanding, that you can choose any "handle" you like, as long as it isn't already taken.

For example, I personally might choose, "The Mighty Troll with Paranoid Delusions of Grandeur", if I were going to start am imaginary "Windows Outreach" program.

At least if I were superficial enough to even want a Twitter account.

How much can you actually accomplish with a 137 character limit anyway? Perhaps that might be sufficient to put somebody on hold, or perhaps enough to fraudulently cull people's email addresses.

Most, if not all responses from the "Windows Outreach Team" to this forum, have been mostly, (if not completely), evasions and double speak without substance.

So thanks, but no thanks, I already have "Windows Outreach", at least that's what I call my Windows disc.

Back