Frequent BSOD's Win 7 x64

grinny

I started getting the BSoD about 2 months ago. It only happens once in a great while. But here lately allot more. 2 weeks ago I was getting 3 a day. So I followed one of your guides and went through it step by step. Updated drivers, Bios, and cleaning case, etc. And up until tonight it had seemed to work. Yes, I got an BSoD just a few minutes ago. Enclosed is the last 2 dump files. I don't know how to read them so please inform me what they are trying to tell me. Thanks a bunch.

My system us:

WD 10k Raptor 74 GB
NVidia 9800 GT PCIe
MX 518 logitech mouse USB
USB keyboard
AMD Phenom 9850 quad core : stock speeds never OC
Creative Xfi Titanium
8 gigs of 1066 gskill ram
Asrock 780GXe mobo

Attachments

• 031811-25859-01.zip
    26.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 032711-17890-01.zip
    26.3 KB · Views: 1
The Windows OS driver portcls.sys was cited in both minidump files as causing your issues. Now normally OS drivers are usually too general to be of much diagnostic help but there might be an exception here.

portcls.sys has to do with audio device drivers. Update your sound card drivers.

However, both error codes are ox3B and these are usually caused faulty video drivers (and excessive page pool usage).

First, update your sound drivers and if that doesn't work we'll do the next logical step.

* Due to the fact it is getting late here on the East Coast I may not answer you tonight but I will check tomorrow.

As recently as 2 weeks ago I had updated all of my system drivers, including sound and video. I will double check those drivers for the latest versions later today when I get home.

In the second part of your reply did you mean page file allocation?

Thanks a ton for your reply and help with this. Its been driving me crazy. :)

Dear Route44:

Just ran the creative application for checking for updates and found that my driver and installed programs were up to date. But my OpenAL which is Creative ALchemy used for 3D direct sound, was out of date. I found under X86 files that the installer was not in the Creative File location. It was down the list a ways. Seemed odd. So I un-installed the old driver package and set myself up with the new one. Went back and checked x86 and found openAL was back in Creative file location where it should be.
I will test it out over the next few days and see if I get any more BSoD's. Thank you again for telling me what the minidump was saying. I hope this is the problem. Is there anything else I can look into as a just in case effort? Or is it best to try one thing at a time approach?

AC

Good work on your part. Doing one step at a time is the best way to go. Please keep us updated.

So far so good as the saying goes. I have not had any issues as of yet. It was aprox. 2 weeks on the last attempt that I thought fixed the BSoD. So don't close this yet, I want to give it a couple more weeks to be sure. But as of now the system is stable and running fine.

Ill post again in a week or so.

I am going to call this one fixed! No issues to date, system running fine again. Thanks a ton for your help! Couldn't of fixed it without your reading into my dump file.

Whoop there it is!

Well its back again, out of no where. Just like a BSOD to show up un-invited. :)
Here is the dump file.

I have noticed some artifacts in one 3d application. Not bad or abundant. But there never the less.

Please check this file and give me guidance. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 050811-18078-01.zip
    24.4 KB · Views: 2
Looks like its time to rid myself of this buggy sound card and its drivers. They still make turtle beach cards? lol
Ill switch to onboard.
Sorry to bother you again Route44. Thanks for everything.
I had really hoped this issue was gone for good.

Anywhere I can go read or study to learn how to read dump files?

No bother at all. What is your budget for an audio card?

As for minidumps. First you need to install Microsoft's Windows Debugging Tool. It is totally free. But that is only a small part of it. What is just as essential is the number of Symbol packages you must download for every version of Windows. That takes a loooooonnnnnnggggg time.

Im still here, been busy working on cars all week. :( Any ways, I can afford about anything really. I used to have a turtle beach card i loved. Are there others out there? :)
I appreciate the advice on where to go and what to do. I will be looking into it as as soon as I can.

Getting a new hard drive this weekend. Need more room. Ill do this down loading after thats done.

Thanks a ton! I will stay in touch.

Ya, I like the Omega as well. That will be the choice in my future expansions for this pc.
I did not know ASUS made sound cards.
Creative used to be allot better then as of late. That is a shame.

have a good weekend. Gotta go do some serious down loading and learning...:)

Back