Fried motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesPromIII

Ok I have a problem, a couple nights ago I was trying to fix a USB port in the back of my pc. I made sure everything was unplugged and the PC was powered off, I used a pair of needle nose pliers to try and bend the pins back, got them back a little. I plugged everything back in and tried powering it on and nothing happened, then I thought maybe it was a connection issue took everything apart and cleaned everything then put it back together, still nothing. One thing there is a green light flashing on my motherboard but it won't power on.

What was the problem before you started diddling with it?
Sounds like the first move is to put it back like it was. You likely have damaged the system board in a way that can still be fixed... get it back like it was without causing any parts to break off.

If you didn't unplug the power supply from the wall outlet, the motherboard would still have standby voltages applied, and 5 volts may have still been active to the USB ports. You probably shorted out the 5 volt regulator(s) on the motherboard. Recheck that the "bad" USB port still doesn't have shorted pins

Well I took everything out again bent the USB pins in the port forward and put everything back together. The motherboard light was a solid color and it turned on not exactly sure what I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back