Frustrating Windows 7 internet, will not connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluemouse

Hi all,

I recently installed windows 7x64, but I've been running into an irritating issue that I find myself unable to solve. Windows will just not get an IP. Once in a while I manage to get an IP address and have it recognize my network, but most of the time I get "Unidentified Network" and the windows default ip of 169.XXX.XXX.XXX. The subnet seems to default to 255.255.0.0 for some reason instead of 255.255.255.0.

- My wireless card is able to connect, my integrated ethernet card works fine in ubuntu, and I cannot connect even when I bypass my router. That means it has to be windows and/or the drivers, correct?

- Is it possible that it has something to do with me unintentionally selecting "Public" network when I first installed the OS, and it being confused ever since? The default icon that shows up when I can't get an IP is a bench, representing a public network, even though I think I have since then changed it to private/home network. The icon changes to that of a home network if I manage to connect.

- I've tried several drivers, but I am incapable of getting them to work.

- Both with and without IPv6

- Setting manually to 100mbps full duplex

- I saw in one forum someone mentioning that the P5NSLI motherboard runs into issues with 4 gigs of ram, something to do with not being able to manage all it's peripherals, although I doubt the validity of that statement.

Specs:

Windows 7 x64
Asus P5NSLI Motherboard
Marvell Yukon integrated nic
4GB RAM

Thanks for the help! I'm out of ideas and buying another network adapter is impossible since I'm out of PCI slots.

I'm not running Win 7 yet (am still waiting for my darn upgrade disc!) so can't give Win 7 specific advice yet... but i'd suggest you also check for firmware upgrades on your router

Like I mentioned, I tried bypassing the router and connecting to the modem directly, no go. And no other computers on the network have issues connecting, even those running Vista.

1) You said you already tried testing w/o the router w/o success
> Did you also try connecting a DIFFERENT computer directly to the ISP modem?
> Reason: Some ISPs only want to connect to the router's MAC addres and won't connect when a different MAC address appears (e.g. a computer vs. the router)
> So question is if another computer works directly to ISP or has same problem
> That will localize the problem to the Marvel Yukon vs. being the ISP not wanting to connect to ANY computer

2) Also, when connecting to the router, why not also try setting your Marvel Yukon to a static IP address. See if any different result with a static IP

3) Also check your router manual. Some routers keep a log which might show if the router is at least seeing any attempt or not of computer trying to get an IP address. As well as if the router might be logging any type of errors

> Did you also try connecting a DIFFERENT computer directly to the ISP modem?
Yes

>2) Also, when connecting to the router, why not also try setting your Marvel Yukon to a static IP address. See if any different result with a static IP

Whoops, forgot to mention that I've tried setting many different combinations of my static IP with various drivers and other settings. No difference, although it seems to recognize the network more often (but not always, seems to be random)

3) Also check your router manual. Some routers keep a log which might show if the router is at least seeing any attempt or not of computer trying to get an IP address. As well as if the router might be logging any type of errors

Like I said, it works without the router on other Network adapters and/or computers, and works with THIS network card on Ubuntu.

Thanks for the help though, any more ideas?

Point being: For the setup you are having problems, whether or not there might be any log or error file indication maintained by the router (that might give a hint if it's seeing or logging any error for the setup in question)

/* EDIT */
For that matter, also look at Windows event log on your Win 7 machine to see if anythng interesting logged there either

Ah, yeah, I see what you're getting at. There doesn't see to be any logging that I can find, I'm using OpenWRT, but I'll keep hunting. I've looked in the windows event viewer, there are errors saying that it couldn't connect, but nothing useful.

"Bumping" a topic can only be done after 2 days minimum (not every day)

Try running CheckDisk on Windows
Start > Run > chkdsk /r
When the DOS windows opens press Y, then restart normally
Wait for CheckDisk to finish checking/repairing the file system

It's a brand new disk with a clean install, but ok, I did, no bad sectors.

I apologise on the bumping, i was unaware that there was such a rule. I just thought out of courtesy I wouldn't bump every 4 hours.

Others may still have other ideas but i wonder... You started by saying..
I recently installed windows 7x64, but I've been running into an irritating issue that I find myself unable to solve.
Was it working fine before Win7x64? As i can't help wondering about both Win 7 and 64bit perhaps being a factor in getting the driver and hardware to all work and "play nice" together

Couple things you might do to test

Test with Knoppix and verify the hardware still works correctly under a different OS. See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

Test with 32 bit Win 7. This is more work but may well isolate the problem to a 64 bit driver issue (which IMHO isn't a rare enough problem to ignore the possibility)
Create a clone backup of your current disk (you can use EASUS disk copy freeware) then install 32bit Win7 and see if the problem persists

Well, it works under Ubuntu, so I woudl assume that it would work wtih knoppix ;) That means that the hardware itself shouldn't be a problem.

I'd prefer not to have to reinstall Windows 7, as I would then have to do some fun stuff with GRUB to get it all working again, since installing windows Vista/7 after ubuntu isn't fun.

My wireless card is able to connect, my integrated ethernet card works fine in ubuntu, and I cannot connect even when I bypass my router. That means it has to be windows and/or the drivers, correct?
Ooops. Missed that point earlier. :eek:

I'm out of ideas - short of a new adapter or waiting to see if a new driver comes out but curious to see if (and hope) you can get this resolved

Haha, yeah, join the club. Thanks for the input though :) I've messaged both Asus and Marvell, Asus essentially said to use XP (like I didnt think of that) and Marvell hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Sometimes strange faults can be Virus/Malware related
Which Antivirus and or personal Firewall do you use? (If its AVG I think I'll chuck :))

Sometimes strange faults can be Virus/Malware related
Which Antivirus and or personal Firewall do you use? (If its AVG I think I'll chuck :))

It was a clean install of Windows 7 and I disabled the firewall. I've also tried disabling UAC. Can't pick up any viruses if I can't connect to the internet ;)

Are you using a 3rd party firewall? If you are, did you make sure the Windows firewall is, indeed, really turned off?

You said you tried different drivers... but i'm not sure which so i'll ask... did you try prior releases of Marvel Yukon Win 7 64bit drivers? (i.e. not the latest ones they list on their website but using earlier releases)

I've tried both drivers on their website currently as well as the updated drivers that windows downloads, as well as the original drivers that came with windows.

And I think I'd know if I had installed another firewall ;) Yes, the windows firewall is definitely off.

Sounds like your stuck with a driver that doesn't work in Win 7 which leaves you with using your wireless card till a decent driver comes out OR! i just had a thought

Does your CPU support virtualization?? I just got Win 7 installed yesterday and Virtual XP installed myself today so i don't yet have any "hands-on" experience or any idea how well this might work or how doable.. But I wonder if you can run the network adapter within a virtual XP environment??

I did just find this link as an example

"Public Network" can prevent certain things from working over a network like broadcast servers such as file/printer sharing, but it won't keep you from getting an IP address. So it isn't that.

Forget about wireless at the moment and let's get your actual wired NIC working.

My wireless card is able to connect
Connecting doesn't necessarily mean you are getting a real, DHCP IP address. You may be getting an APIPA or nothing at all with your wireless. I wasn't sure if you cleared this up or not in the thread, but I'm going to assume you can't get an IP address with your wifi card either... in Windows.

The only reason to get an APIPA assigned (automatic private IP address) is if Windows doesn't receive an answer to its DHCP request from the DHCP server on the network (your router). If it works in Ubuntu using the same router, the same NIC and the same network cable, then you have yourself a software problem (Windows, firewalls, drivers, protocols etc..)

This is unlikely to be a driver issue because 1.) I've never seen a bad driver cause an issue where you would still get an APIPA and 2.) If you can get as far as getting an auto private IP, then your NIC is almost certainly installed properly. But, I've learned not to rule the improbable out...

Given this is a fresh install of Windows 7, a software problem doesn't make much sense. But let's entertain some possibilities. Here are a few things I might try:
  • Reset your winsock (TCP/IP stack) and restart. The behavior you described is a common symptom of a corrupted/incorrect winsock. I think it is worth a shot.
  • Check your TCP/IP settings and make sure everything is 'automatic' on the first TCP/IP panel page.
  • Uninstall all firewall and network-specific software, regardless of whether or not it is disabled. Firewalls etc.. install special drivers that allow direct access to your network subsystem and even when the program is off, a misbehaving firewall driver can cause issues like this.

And of course, there is always reinstalling. If it is a fresh install of Windows 7, you probably don't have much to lose and it might save you some headaches. If the problem persists and it continues to work in Ubuntu, then perhaps it really is a driver issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back