GameStop expands into PC hardware, now selling RTX 3000 cards

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? We don’t need reminding of the graphics card industry’s current state. Chip shortages, high demand, scalpers, and low yields have created the perfect storm of shortages. So, what does GameStop decide to do? It starts selling them alongside other PC hardware.

During an earnings call yesterday with investors, GameStop CEO George Sherman said (via PC Mag) that the company would be expanding its product catalog to include offerings across PC gaming hardware. This includes “computers, monitors, game tables, mobile gaming, and gaming TVs to name only a few.”

“These categories represent natural extensions that our customers would expect to buy from us, expanding our addressable market size by over five times, and over time, will reduce our reliance on the cyclicality of the console-based gaming market,” he added.

GameStop has produced weekly ads showing its lineup of PC hardware. It includes RTX 3000 cards, motherboards, PSUs, cases, and monitors.

Sherman added that GameStop’s website would also include pre-built desktops, laptops, game tables, and gaming TVs. It’s now live at GameStop.com/PCGaming. The online store lists the entire RTX 3000 range, all of which are out of stock, naturally, but some have expected arrival dates of April 16. While the current situation means prices are way above MSRP, they're comparable to Newegg’s, with some cards slightly cheaper and others more expensive.

The store also has routers, CPU coolers, thermal paste, and more. There doesn’t appear to be any processors, though.

The website has both delivery and in-store pickup options. Whether the company will eventually sell the hardware within its stores, perhaps at a discounted price, remains to be seen. Here’s hoping GameStop goes down this route as it can make life harder for scalpers.

GameStop's foray into PC hardware comes as the company reported a drop in sales for the fourth quarter of 2020, down to $2.12 billion from $2.19 billion a year ago.

It’s been bad news this week for those hoping to grab an RTX 3000-series card. We recently heard that the global chip shortage is getting worse, and Asus suggested that low “upstream” production yields from Nvidia are part of the problem.

Permalink to story.

I'd like to see them transition their stores into carrying PC hardware at a reasonable price (hahahaha).

Only thing near me is a Best Buy, and it's rather terrible as selection goes.

Tend to usually buy online, but a physical store is handy when a PSU suddenly gives up the ghost.

I'd like to see them transition their stores into carrying PC hardware at a reasonable price (hahahaha).

Only thing near me is a Best Buy, and it's rather terrible as selection goes.

Tend to usually buy online, but a physical store is handy when a PSU suddenly gives up the ghost.

I like the mom and pop computer stores for that as opposed to the bigger stores, yes the choices are limited but they usually have some in each price and power range most people are looking for and sometimes they have GREAT prices on things.

I like the mom and pop computer stores for that as opposed to the bigger stores, yes the choices are limited but they usually have some in each price and power range most people are looking for and sometimes they have GREAT prices on things.
I'd love it if something like that existed anywhere near me.

If there would be close to the demand for it, I'd consider opening one myself. The few shops that have attempted to do so make it maybe a year at best, and have generally only had mid to low range hardware selection.
Which, I suppose currently is better than no hardware selection.

I know Gamestop used to be one of my main staples for buying PC games. I could drive out to half a dozen different Gamestops near me in about an hours time and dig through their PC game shelf. I'd do this about once every 6-8 weeks and end up usually with 4-6 games that I probably would never get around to playing, but I just bought them because they were on sale and I didn't have them.

Then digital gaming became the powerhouse and physical copies are almost extinct (aside from dumb fake physical copy cases that give you a digital download code for a digital platform....stupid) so I stopped going to Gamestop.

If they can provide another avenue for me for obtaining PC hardware, I'd certainly welcome it. Right now it's the very obscure things that local Best Buy stores carry or I have to go nearly 20 miles out of my way to Micro Center. Whereas I can hit up 2 or 3 Gamestops within that same mileage.

As for them having any kind of stock of new GPUs - I won't hold my breath. If Micro Center can't get much in the way GPU inventory, I don't see Gamestop being in any better position.

Depends on your area. Even mom and pop stores have sold the 3000 cards 1k to 2k. And those were 3070 n 3080.

Some places are good but most arent.

Back