Gateway Hard drive recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Gateway Laptop that has had something spilled on it and now the
keys will not work. So I was wondering if there is an easy way to remove the
Hard drive and then transfer all info to another computer or storage source?

All help is appreciated.

Yes you can. First you need to know what type of drive (IDE or SATA). Then you can buy a connector (or enclosure) for the type of drive that allows you to hook it to the USB port of another computer. You can then copy your files to the second computer.

Tracy

Thanks

Are there any pit falls if the the hard drive is XP and the new Computer is VISTA?

But thanks for the other info... sounds easy and cheap!

I assume you mean to recover your data from the XP machine to the Vista machine. Pitfalls would be user account control. If the account on which your XP data was written was set to keep files private, then in order to read them on VISTA you will have to go into the Control Panel, User Accounts, and turn off User Account Control. This would be true as well if you have to use the recovery tool I mentioned, but thats a simple change to make and when you are done, you just turn User Account Control back on. The conflict comes because the user account you are using to access the drive is not the one that wrote the files. But not all XP accounts are set this way.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information.

This happened to me when my XP laptop crashed. I just pulled out the SATA hard drive from my laptop, and plugged it into an extra SATA cable i had in my Desktop, which happened to be Vista....coincidence? haha.

Anyway, turning off User Account Controll will help but you will most likely have to change all the 'permissions' for the files from the XP harddrive to the Vista machine. I managed to get most of my files off but some would not transfer over no matter what i did in Vista....

P.S. You vista computer most likley is using SATA....so yoi could do what i did and just open up the desktop case and use one of the SATA cables in there (if the XP hdd is SATA aswell of course) I only did this because i didnt want to buy an external case to put the drive in......saves a penny. Well good luck to you hope you can get all your files!

glad it worked out. I use the connectors for my customers computer file recovery so I dont have to open my case.

Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back