Gateway PC will not power up - button fades in and out

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmg75028

My one year old Gateway DX-4200 started having re-boot issues where it would not power back up. Power button fades in and out. The power supply has been checked out OK. The motherboard has been replaced with a new one but the problem persists. At first I could get around the issue by unplugging the power cable then it would power up OK. Now the power button just fades in and out from the beginning and will not go any further.

I don't know what you mean by, "...Power button fades in and out..."

Did you change anything that would put unusual demands on your power supply?

No but I just purchesed a new, higher wattage power supply to try. Should know tomorrow if that fixes it.

Does it fade in and out in a constant/steady pattern? As that usually indicates the computer is in sleep mode.....

Try holding the button in for 10-15 secs and see if the power button stays off. Then press again to start and check power settings in Control Panel

It goes into "sleep" mode as soon as you press the power button. Never gets to the hard drive. Re[laced the power supply but that did not fix the problem.

Some of the Gateway DX computers are apparently eMachines computers... same motherboard... and that is possibly where the trouble is. A replacement board is $49 on eBay, but not every day.
Be aware that you only have a limited time to get the restore disk set from Gateway, and you must do it by phone, and there is a fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back