GeForce 256 DDR (2x or 4x AGP)???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyZip

Hi...

Just a quick question looking for a quick awnser...:)

I've got a NVIDIA GeForce 256 DDR (Guillemont 3D Prophet)... I was wondering whether this is a 2x AGP or 4x AGP card...

The reason im asking is im getting a new motherboard that only supports 4x AGP & 8x AGP with the new voltage...

Ive searched on the web, but i can find diddly squat...

Thanks...

Thanks iss..

But are you sure?? It says version 2 (AGP), which i always thought was 2x AGP... Obviously not...

Cheers...

Wel mine was a Geforce 256 64 MB DDR and it was 4x what is the one you have 32MB?

yep..

these cards a pretty old..

new cards support 4x and even newer cards support 8x(!) agp

your right the box does state 2x 4x. the problem is getting info on the card is hard since guillomet sold out to hercules not long after producing that card and hercules doesnt seem to keep much info on cards produced befroe the buy out.

also the 1x 2x is listed under the MINIMUM requirments. all I know for sure is that my geforce 256 DDR was 4x and I have never seen a Geforce 256 DDR that wasnt 4X.

I will plunder around some more tonight and see what I can dig up

EDIT:
just saw your post cool at least you dont have to buy a new card.......unless of course you decided you wanted a REAL video card. .......JK

Yeah all GeForce's are AGP 4x/2x/1x.

As for the "2 data transfers per clock", thats just referring to the fact it is using DDR memory. Nothing to do with AGP transfer method. Rarely do you see a review focus on AGP bandwidth because it isn't a bottleneck at this stage (and in most cases AGP 8x doesn't give much benefit at all).

Thanks iss and Darth Shiv for clarifying that for me...

After blowing major wonga on a new motherboard, CPU and Ram, i didn't want to shell out anymore for a another videocard (well - not yet anyway;) )

Cheers...

I just thought of something...

As AGP x1 and x2 has a different voltage to AGP x4 and x8, does that mean the Geforce card automatically changes voltage on its own??? Or would there be jumpers on the videocard, that i have to fiddle with... Or anything else???

The GeForce is the first AGP 4X supporting Graphics card so yes it should work just fine. As regards AGP there's the AGP standard & the actual AGP modes. AGP 2 supports up to AGP 4X while AGP 3 is up to AGP 8X

Originally posted by RustyZip
I just thought of something...

As AGP x1 and x2 has a different voltage to AGP x4 and x8, does that mean the Geforce card automatically changes voltage on its own??? Or would there be jumpers on the videocard, that i have to fiddle with... Or anything else???

the geforce card will use the max agp the board enables it (at least for my case)

i have a 8x AGP running on a 4x motherboard

u can changed / edit settings though..

btw.. 8x agp = more memory bandwidth.. ;)

Sorry to hi-jack this forum, but as you guys seem to know your stuff please could you help me out with a question.

I hava a Hercules 3D Prophet II MX AGP Graphics card.

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/reviews/video/herculese_3d_prophet_2_mx/index.shtml

I'm looking to upgrade my motherboard to the latest offering from Gigabyte. the problem is that Gigabyte state that this board will only work with the latest AGP cards using a voltage of 1.5V.

Can anyone tell me what voltage my card uses an is it compatible.
I wanted to do the upgrade in stages as I can't really afford to buy a new Graphics card as well as memory and mainboard. (already going to make do with my old 800MHz Athlon K7T processor)

Any info would be apprieciated.

Thanks

The original Geforce... Hey, I remember those! :) Actually that's the souped up "DDR" model too.

You should be fine - Virtually any card designed for AGP 2x will run in AGP 4x. Since you have the later generation Geforce 256, it was probably designed for AGP 4x anyway. I remember that being a big deal at the time.

Thanks for your reply Rick.

But the new motherboard I am looking at is AGP 2.0 and 3.0 campatible but only at 1.5Volts and can hancdle AGPX8.

I need to know if all agp 2.0 cards or specifically mine are capable of using 1.5Volts as well as 3.3Volts (my current motherboard uses 3.3V and is AGP 4X).

AGP*.*=The standard
AGPX*=The speed

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back