GeForce 7800 GS artifact problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Since I have formatted my pc, i have been experiencing some problems regarding my videocard. My PC specifications are as follows:
AMD Athlon 2500+ (@ 1.77 Mhz)
Geforce 7800 GS (@500/700)
nforce2 motherboard
Windows XP Professional
other specs required?
The problems are as follows:
When i just run Windows, no problems are encountered, but as soon as I start a game, problems occur: Odd white squares seem to replace some textures, which I read somewhere else are to be called artifacts? (no knowledge here on that part). When I start World of Warcraft: The text (all text, written in the quest log, chat logs, log in screen etc) sometimes (!) have weird horizontal stripes through them, which makes them even sometimes make them unreadable. These things might be odd, but not so serious. A more serious problem occurs when i am playing a little bit longer but only on WoW: My screen suddenly freezes, but sound continues to play. I cannot return to windows. Everything is frozen. I have to press reset to be able to use my computer again, which is very annoying and bad for my system.

I thought a solution would be to upgrade/reinstall the drivers, which i did: no result. I even removed the drivers by using DriverCleanerPro and then reinstalling them. Other things I tried are: Installing the directX 9.0c / reseting the pc's bios / putting the fan rotation a little higher (videocardfan).

One time i waited about an hour, then suddenly my pc returned to windows and gave an error i didn't write down, and forgot (I tried leaving my pc on for hours again, but no error occurred) but had something to do with the nv4_disp.dll file, which is a driver file.

It seems like a typical driver problem to me, or at least a software problem, but i can't find out what!

Could someone please help me out!

Thanks!

Daan.

Take a look at the C:\Windows\Minidump directory and post any recent .dmp files.

Do yourself a favor and monitor your video card's temperatures. It might be overheating...

it could be the graphics memory overheating but that would probably only be if the cards old, my friends 8800 gts 320mb had the same problem so he lowered the mem clocks and it was fine

If it isn't drivers (which it sounds like) the only other 2 options I can think of would be heat or a faulty card.

Instead of minidumps, the easier course of action is to just check event viewer and see what is going on there. Its not as complete as a minidump, but at least you don't need a special program to read them, and often times it has enough information to point you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back