GeForce 9800GT fan

D

Dalton

I noticed an awful noise in my tower just now and realized that the fan blade was loose on my video card and I took it out and I could pull the fan blade right off so my question is, are the fans replaceable on a 9800GT card or could I put the blade back somehow? Thanks

Does the fan look like this?
miEGk6_mp3OCjyxrqnS7yHQ.jpg

Try eBay for replacement fans. Just remember to look at the seller reputation and where the item is shipping from.
65mm Fan 4 9800GT

Yea I think it looks a lot like that. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    741.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    720.1 KB · Views: 4
$29.99 sounds good. Will that be a perfect match for that card, like I mean it doesn't matter if it's a EVGA and it will work for all types of the 9800gt?

Which graphics card do you have specifically? Is there a name brand on the card other than nVidia?

There are differences in PCB's that could cause problems. I'm personally not familiar with any possible differences if they exist.

One thing that might help at this point is a picture of the back of the card. That could give a strong indication of whether the screw holes will match.

Sorry for all the trouble but I put the fan back on it started working again. Does the magnet on the fan hold it in place cause I hit the desk and it might have caused a vibration and maybe the fan went off balance and caused that noise? Idk what happened but it works now. I feel stupid right now lol. I really thought the fan needed to be replaced and I should have at least tried it again before posting. Would like to get another one of these cards though for another computer but not sure how the bidding works on that site or if I need a credit card or bank card or how does that work?

I probably should note that if you are in the market for another card, you should consider new generation items. At least within the last 2 generations. The 9800 GT is at least 4 generations old.

Passmark shows the 9800GT scoring at 703. A GT-640 scores at 1483 (which is not even considered a gaming card by todays standards) and uses way less power (no need for additional 6pin/8pin connector block) and also sells for less than $100. The GT-640 seems to be comparable to the GTS-450 that I am current using myself. I would recommend looking at the GTX-660, GTX-560, or at the very least a 2 gen old GTX-460. I wish I could add a few AMD cards to the list but I've not been following their tech the last year or two.

About the fan, I thought you said it had been broken. Anyway, the magnetics will hold the fan in-place but there should also be a locking mechanism to hold it there as well. If you can easily pull the fan blades off, the locking mechanism is either broke or missing. Without the locking mechanism in place, the fan blades may stay in-place but I won't guarantee for how long.

Well My two man computers still use a 9800 GT and a 9600GSO, both have overclocked well for me. As far as buying one off eBay, just select buy it now, no auctions then just like buying from a store. All auctions on eBay require PayPal too pay, its safe and its even owned by eBay so if there's a problem they can work together well to resolve it. You just sign up for PayPal add either a credit/debit or your bank account number for purchasing. When you buy the product, it will say pay now with PayPal you will be redirected to PayPal log in, confirm the payment and your done, its really quit easy, if you do a auction style and win, you pay the same way, most auctioneers give the winner 3 days after the auction ends to pay. But as cliffordcooley said the entire nvidia 9 series is pretty outdated, for gaming though since most games are designed to run on the even older console graphics there still ok, new cards will give you more performance while using less power, and can use dx11.

Well I thought the fan was broken cause of the noise I heard in the tower and I took the card out and played around with it for a bit and thought of trying it again and it didn't make that noise or unless something is broken or missing but if there is, what kind of piece should I be looking for, what does it look like? Also you guys are probably right, I should consider a newer card as well as everything else, especially with all these new games coming out I want to play.

Back