Geforce GTX 260 PSU Requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3claimer

My friend is looking to upgrade his Dell 540 Slim PC's Graphics card, but unfortunately, Dell has (of course) provided a power supply of limited capability. I know Dell computers have PSU's that are hard to find upgrades for. Does anyone have suggestions for upgrading the (250 watt) PSU? Also, what wattage should he be looking for?

Thanks in Advance!

the Dell 540 Slim takes a TFX12V form factor PSU and they are not that powerful. A 300w TFX12V PSU is the highest i can find and the GTX 260 needs 500w minimum

That's the problem with these Dell PCs. Really difficult to upgrade. Seasonic makes some TFX PSUs but they are 250 and 300W only. Tough luck.

Maybe the only way would be to have a PSU outside the case but I don't know how viable you would find the idea of an external power source.

I've actually already considered that solution. I'm sure one could buy a case for an external PSU, I'm just a bit concerned with how much this would cost. My friend doesn't want to spend more than $250 on a new video card, so I suggested the GTX 260. But he would now have to buy a new PSU, External PSU case, and a new video card.

Regardless of the cost factor, could you please give me a few power supplies you think would be good options for this external idea? (and maybe a case that would fit it?)

For about $250 the best GPU you can get your hands on would be the Radeon HD 5830. However, if that budget were to include a new PSU then it would be advisable to get the HD 5770 and a Corsair 550VX. I have never really run a regular PSU from outside the case but I don't think you need to house the PSU in any particular enclosure.

Those both look excellent. So that particular PSU WILL in fact work with his computer, without a doubt? The only thing is that it would sit outside the computer case...although I don't know how he's going to plug stuff up. =\

Hopefully plugging things up won't be too difficult even though the PSU will be stationed outside. I have had to use my PSU that way at times while working on fixing a few PCs.

If this is a Slim line PC I'm pretty sure you wont be able to fit a normal sized GPU in there. You should be looking at low-profile cards something like the 9800gt. I'm not sure what your friend plans on doing with it but if it's gaming at a low resolution a nice low-profile card should work alright for most stuff. Now if you friend wants to be playing the latest games with eye candy on I'd say just save up and move away from his current machine as putting ~$250 in it might not be the best of choice since Slim PC's weren't really designed for gaming to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back