GeForce RTX on Your Laptop? What Form Will That Take and When?

Julio Franco

Staff member
506a3d158c.jpg

You can probably do it with an external unit on current laptops that already support that function just swap out that non turing gpu with an 2080ti and now you can games at 60 fps 1080p again and 720p with rtx 2070. Can't wait. Actually you have to wait for the hardware and software drivers, games, updates and patches. I love alpha products selling at extreme premium prices never seen before.

Last edited:
NB TSMC say 12nm offers 10% perf improvement or 25% power reduction. Obv the latter figure is relevant for laptops... Link below.
https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/6662-tsmc-talks-about-22nm-12nm-7nm-euv-e.html

Sounds right, it would mean that you can increase the performance by 10 percent for the same power consumption. Which is likely the choice Nvidia made with RTX2000 mobile parts. Small performance increase, minimal or no power consumption drop.

TSMC 7nm will be far more impressive naturally, it's already in production for some partners and AMD have a lot of capacity sewn up by the sound of reports last week. Presumably Zen 2 first in spring 2019 and then the GPUs not long after.

Going by this I really don't think these RTX2000 series GPUs either desktop or mobile will last very long.

The best thing about these new mobile GPUs coming out is the price drop of the existing 10 series. Not to mention fan-boys that want to sell their barely used 10 series laptops to upgrade to the 20 series. This means we can get a 1070 or 1080 max q version second hand for cheap on a thin and light laptop which can double as a daily school/work driver.
RIght now I use a Dell XPS 15" 9560 as my daily driver with only a GTX 1050 and my gaming laptop is an Alienware 17 R4 with a full fledged 1070. I could replace both with a thin and light 1080 max q laptop second hand used.

Used isn't so bad if you get a professional computer geek squad to repaste the CPU and GPU with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaught liquid metal and new Fujipoly thermal pads as well as clean out any dust. They do it cheap less than $100 though they use regular thermal paste. You'd have to provide the liquid metal.

It's crazy how thin and light gaming laptops are becoming

Razer Blade 15
Gigabyte Aero 15X
MSI GS65 Stealth
Acer Predator 700
Asus Zephyrus S version

These are my favourite thin and lights so far that pack either a 1070 or 1080 (usually MAX Q)
That's all you really need for high end gaming anyway. At least until the new consoles are released which will up the bar and move the gaming industry forward with more powerful hardware which will be assimilated by the masses making it profitable to make higher quality games that will run in everybody's home.

While Max-Q is a good option, I'd rather have the flexibility to under- and overclock as I please using Afterburner. And yeah, bring on the 20 series laptops so the 10 series laptop prices drop!

I’m more interested in seeing which 20 series mobile parts Nvidia release to replace the 1050 ti and 1050 mobile components as I think most gaming laptops sold now seem to have these parts. Be nice if we can get 1060 performance in a decent gaming laptop under $1000. It’s very difficult to find laptops with a current 1060 at this price.

IMO, Max Q cards are marketing con job. I doubt the companies really care that much about being able to fit them in a wider range of laptops, at least from a consumer point of view.

..But they do care that they can market a poorly performing 1070 Max Q to people who don't really know what the Max Q signifies and charge them an extra $200-$300 than a practically similar performing, full fat 1060 laptop.

I still have my alienware 15r2, love the machine but the 970m is getting a little long in the tooth and NVMe support is a little buggy.

A 2060 or 2070 would be a great upgrade, eagerly looking forward to what gaming laptop makers come up with to combine these with 6 core i7s. Actually, the 2050ti-2060 may be the most exciting, 1070 performance in a sub 65 watt TDP would be something to see.

Back