General question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of upgrading my computer to run some games better and thanks to you folks I've been able to finally identify my PCI slot as being a PCI -E.
Being very uninformed about computers and graphic cards in general, I am trying to obtain as much information as possible. Some cards that I have read about state the interface requirement as being "PCI PCI Express 2.0 x16" or such and such. How does one find out what the 2.0 x16 designation means and how does it differ from others?

Do you really need to be carefull about these numbers?

Also, I have not been able to see any thing that looks like a graphics card located / installed inside my case. Might it be that my motherboard has card already built in?

Any help is greatly appreciated.:)

You don't need to be concerned about whether your slot is a PCI-E 2.0 if you plan on using a single card. Any PCI-E video card will work in the slot, regardless of the bus version 1 or 2. All PCI-E 2.0 slots do is allow two or more cards to run at x16 speed instead of x8 and x8 so if you have only one card it makes no difference. I hope that clears things up a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back