Getting a Clean Backup from a Vundo Infected Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening,

It seems that my computer has come down with a case of Vundo, of the variety that resurrects itself from an intransigent AppInit_DLLs registry key. Since I use my computer for financial transactions, I have decided that a wipe is in order.

I keep a backup of my files on a separate thumb drive. My last backup was about a week ago, but I have been working since then. I would prefer to get a current backup, if that is possible to do without corrupting my backup drive.

I currently use SyncBack from 2BrightSparks to sync my computer and backup drive. I do not sync any system folders.... I sync the My Documents folder, my IE and Firefox Favorites, and other folders that I created myself.

Will my normal sync process allow me to make a clean backup? If not, is there some other program/process I can use to make a clean backup? Once the backup is complete, is there a way to check the backup drive to confirm that it is clean (I can do this on another computer, if needed)?

Thanks!
Shelli

Yes you can scan the other backups with a good antivirus program. It would be nice if you could do a separate back up, until you can be sure the infection is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back