Getting a modern motherboard / Intel Quad Core for my old Dell 2400

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojodancer

Thinking about getting a modern motherboard / Intel Quad Core for my Dell 2400 upgrade.

Medium gaming but lots of HD and Blu-ray stuff.

Anyone has done anything on his Dell 2400? Suggestions? Brand names? Hopefully I can score this combo / RAM in this holiday sale.

Currently my Dell 2400 has this set up:

P4 3.06
2 Gb RAM
5000Gb Hatachi ATA Boot Dirve
1Tb WD Green SATA 2nd Drive
22x LG DVD rewriter
8x LG Blu-ray rewriter
1 floppy
Evga 9400GT 1Gb PCI card
ATA / SATA RAID controller
Corsair 550W ATX supply

and

Dell 2400 mini case :)

I can transfer all these existing hardware for the new motherboard except the RAM (DDR1 or DDR3) and a better 1Gb PCI Express video card after that.

Firstly, budget for CPU+mobo? Also, have you made up your mind on Intel? If you're on a constraint you may consider AMD.

As for motherboard brands, Gigabyte, ASUS and MSI are excellent choices. You may also add DFI to that list.

Budget is around $300. Saw many on sale combo prices at Frys (store only) right now. Like:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 / Biostar TP45E (full size I know) at $179!!!!
AMD Phenom II X4 925 / MSI 785GTM-E45 at $149!!!

So I think getting a Duo Quad with a decent motherboard shouldn't be out of reach for the holiday sale.

At $300 for processor and motherboard I would ideally look at the AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE along with a good AMD 790X / 790GX chipset motherboard.

However, if you're not much into gaming you could get yourself the AMD Athlon II X4 620/630. Very cheap with great performance.

Lose the Dell Case Too

Jojodancer,
I didn't see anyone comment on the Dimension 2400 case. I doubt any mobo will fit this case and the power supply probably needs upping also. You can use the other components if you are selective. But Dimension 2400 were cheaply built and probably doesn't have any components worth re-using, sorry.
:dead:

what pjamme said. Also you need to make sure the powersupply connector and other wiring on the case isn't proprietary (specially configured to only fit dell parts which they usually are).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back