Getting an error when trying to do a Windows XP repair install

Syreynna

It started off in this forum: https://www.techspot.com/community/...ess-on-my-computer.182214/page-5#post-1194123
It's to the point where we are doing a windows xp repair install. I go through the xp disc loading windows setup and then I press enter and it says: "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program." I ran the seatool diagnostic just before getting that error and both the hard drives(Samsung and a seagate - Samsung now uses seatools so we found out) passed the diagnostic tests. So, now I am at a loss at what to do and I got directed here!

The problem is likely the lack of sufficient SATA driver support in Windows XP. Without the SATA/RAID drivers Windows XP will not recognize your SATA hard drive. If you have a floppy drive, you can install the appropriate SATA/RAID drivers at the F6 prompt that appears near the beginning of Windows setup. You can get these drivers from the If you don't have a floppy drive, you can create a slipstream disk with the drivers included. Google (or Bing) for the procedure.

A way to get around this driver requirement is to go into the BIOS and, if your BIOS offers this option, change the controller mode to IDE instead of SATA mode.

Back