Getting BSOD a few times everyday

Please help me, I really don't want to go through this during the college when I have to do research. Everyday my laptop goes through BSOD a few times a day, even when the laptop is in sleep mode.

It says driver power failure state and here is the info I collected:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name:BlueScreen
OS Version:6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID:1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode:9f
BCP1:0000000000000003
BCP2:FFFFFA800ADB8050
BCP3:FFFFF80000B9C3D8
BCP4:FFFFFA80064A5BD0
OS Version:6_1_7601
Service Pack:1_0
Product:768_1

If anyone can decipher this, thank you so much! This has been happening for over 2 to 3 months now and I can't seem to figure out why it's doing this.

It is a Gateway NV57H laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit OS). The processor is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz. I got this laptop in late 2011. I have 304GB free of 583GB.

Top error when you put a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 to sleep, into hibernation, or when you restart the computer: "0x9F "

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975599 and click on the link "View and request hotfix download s", select the platform (x64) and type in your email twice and type in the captcha ad click request hotfix.

After 1 minute you have an email with the link to download an exe. Use the password which is included inside the email to extract the update.

Install the update and reboot.

is the issue fixed?

This "could" be a power supply problem though it is not the most common cause.

9f is likely a driver issue. Antivirus/antispware/security programs can also cause these issues.
Have you added devices lately or updated drivers - be sure to check in Windows Updates to see
if a driver was updated prior to this occurring. This could also be caused by a loose card or cable
and even a weak power supply.

That error means a driver is not handling the power state properly. Check in Control Panel - Device
Manager to be sure major drivers are not shut off during sleep - double click Display Adapter - NIC
and WIFI - Sound and others - Power Management tab - uncheck Allow computer to turn off power.
Maybe only one has an issue.

Start - type in Search box - MSCONFIG find at top - Right Click - RUN AS ADMIN

General Tab - check Diagnostic Start - APPLY / OK - REBOOT

Try it now. If it still blue screens think Video Driver. If not think NIC, Wifi, Sound, or......
(and it still could be video interacting with something else). See next message for my
generic driver update methods.

BCCode: 9f 0x0000009f
http://www.faultwire.com/solutions-...TATE-FAILURE-0x0000009F-*1167.html?order=date

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look in the Event Viewer to see if anything is reported about those.
http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/vista/vista_event_viewer.htm

MyEventViewer - Free - a simple alternative to the standard event viewer of Windows.
TIP - Options - Advanced Filter allows you to see a time frame instead of the whole file.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/my_event_viewer.html

------------------------

Also do this so you can see the likely bluescreens.

Windows Vista automatically restarts if your PC encounters an error that causes it to crash.
http://www.winvistatips.com/disable-automatic-restart-t84.html

I tried the hotfix and I don't think it worked. I installed it and restarted it and while it was logging off...it BSOD during that (it lead me to the black screen with text that gives option to Start Windows Normally).

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name:BlueScreen
OS Version:6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID:1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode:9f
BCP1:0000000000000003
BCP2:FFFFFA800A9EF050
BCP3:FFFFF80000B9C3D8
BCP4:FFFFFA800D96D460
OS Version:6_1_7601
Service Pack:1_0
Product:768_1

I also would like to mention that sometimes shutting down my computer, it will be on the "Shutting down...." or "logging off".... for awhile and not turn off forcing me to have to turn it off by manually pressing down the power button on my laptop. Also I think it did BSOD once during that too. And Norton 360 would freeze my laptop when it did background task or background scanning, which used to not do this before the constant BSOD.

I will try your 2nd post and see what happens.

See if you have any minidumps by going to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. Select all the .dmp files. Right-click sending the files to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload that folder as a file here

^I have 3 minidumps but when I tried to the right click, it said file not found or no read permission. Is there another way to retrieve it?

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE... Ntoskrnl.exe See if there are any yellow (!) exclamation points in the Device Manager. Also, the video driver could be causing the BSOD's. See if there is an update availble. Are all the Windows Updates applied including all the optional updates?

Back